U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,732,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
and donate the remaining amount to a good cause.
Great idea.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

12,227 posts, read 7,480,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So what if it's the very affluent guy and that Michelin star restaurant where you have to make reservations weeks in advance? The guy had someone cancel and needs a fill-in dinner date rather than cancel. Your only ask is to be a pleasant dinner companion.

Someone that affluent doesn't need to put on a show.
I would probably say that I'm so very sorry, but I've got plans...or something.

There are a number of things about that scenario, that would make me anxious. The question of what he wants in return doesn't even have to factor into it. My eating habits and aversion to fancy dress (in a "vanilla" context at least) would probably top the list. I wouldn't even be sure which fork to use for what. I'd rather avoid the whole thing, and go to some funky little Mom & Pop with an open mic night, with my friends.

Which is what I've been trying to say...just because the dude isn't doing something objectively wrong doesn't mean it would be right for me.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

7,815 posts, read 3,062,565 times
Quote:
So what if it's the very affluent guy and that Michelin star restaurant where you have to make reservations weeks in advance? The guy had someone cancel and needs a fill-in dinner date rather than cancel. Your only ask is to be a pleasant dinner companion.

Someone that affluent doesn't need to put on a show.
He didn’t know he was putting on a show. That’s a puzzling concept.

I don’t think it has anything to do with one’s need to “present” or be worthy of anything other than that’s where they wanted to go.

It does seem The Original Post has been answered though: yes some woman will think you expect something, whether you did or not. Almost a kind of reverse-snobbery.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

55,963 posts, read 74,996,842 times
Yes you have set the stage for what follows
No sex lots of expensive outings

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

7,815 posts, read 3,062,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Yes you have set the stage for what follows
No sex lots of expensive outings
See now, it isnít either or. I have just as much fun at a food truck festival. Itís the experience. What contributes to the experience is the company Im with and my surroundings. Iím not easily impressed, when I am, the price of food wasnít the deciding factor.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

5,626 posts, read 2,402,608 times
Quote:
You are projecting your socioeconomic class on someone else. Someone high income taking a dinner date in a high end NYC restaurant could be like me taking someone to an Olive Garden.

Let's not play class warrior. The term 'very expensive' is a relative matter based largely on where the OP lives and what is considered a normal expense for dinner out. In a city where all the restaurants can be expensive by the standards of someone in a poor part of the country, taking someone to a 'very expensive' place would likely mean some over-the-top place that uses gold foil as an ingredient.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

38,586 posts, read 56,413,896 times
It has been almost a week since OP's last post. Is he still pondering the question?
It looks like spending lots of money on a dinner doesn't guarantee sex...
Is a woman more likely to be intimate with a man early on in a relationship if he spends a lot of money on her?

I wonder if OP is (still) married...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,732,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It has been almost a week since OP's last post. Is he still pondering the question?
It looks like spending lots of money on a dinner doesn't guarantee sex...
Is a woman more likely to be intimate with a man early on in a relationship if he spends a lot of money on her?

I wonder if OP is (still) married...
Or he's too busy with the you know....

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

17,500 posts, read 19,758,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
At this point, if I went on a date with a man and he were either far more (obviously) wealthy than I, or far less so, I would not feel comfortable.
It seems a little strange to me that a normal guy would not feel awkward asking a woman out on a date if he didn't make a substantial amount of money.

You would think that he would lack the confidence to get into a relationship, unless they were just being friends.

Old Today, 05:25 AM

939 posts, read 214,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
Gee, it really depends.

Do you pick her up in a Bugatti, while wearing your giraffe-leather shoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or