U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:44 AM

14,327 posts, read 7,646,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Let's not play class warrior. The term 'very expensive' is a relative matter based largely on where the OP lives and what is considered a normal expense for dinner out. In a city where all the restaurants can be expensive by the standards of someone in a poor part of the country, taking someone to a 'very expensive' place would likely mean some over-the-top place that uses gold foil as an ingredient.

Why not? It's rampant in this thread. If you're a 1%er, a $200 per person meal in a restaurant in a high cost of living urban place is normal.

My point in all this is that what seems extravagant to one person is no big deal to someone else. If you're using an expensive meal to try to project that you're something that you're not, it's quite different from someone who normally spends a thousand or two of discretionary income every week on entertainment. It's all relative.

Old Today, 07:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 495,263 times
Why anyone would take someone you aren't already sleeping with or have a good relationship with to a $200 per plate dinner is beyond me. That type of restaurant is an experience, one that I would want to share with someone special, not someone I'm still getting to know and it might not go anywhere.

Unless you're balling out of control, this is a horrible date idea.

More directly on topic: again, unless you're legitimately wealthy and you frequent such restaurants on the regular, taking someone you haven't slept with to a $200 per plate dinner reeks of try hard and it's not a good look.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

1,192 posts, read 495,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It seems a little strange to me that a normal guy would not feel awkward asking a woman out on a date if he didn't make a substantial amount of money.

You would think that he would lack the confidence to get into a relationship, unless they were just being friends.
????

Do you know how many broke dudes slay? Money isn't the end all to confidence or attracting women. I know a number of guys making well into the six figures that struggle mightily with women. I know guys working on the line at Chrysler that do quite well with women.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

12,227 posts, read 7,480,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
????

Do you know how many broke dudes slay? Money isn't the end all to confidence or attracting women. I know a number of guys making well into the six figures that struggle mightily with women. I know guys working on the line at Chrysler that do quite well with women.
Right? That post didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I've known homeless dudes (two off the top of my head) who have no trouble whatsoever getting laid. I mean, they are not landing supermodels but they're getting some women who are not trash, either. Of course their "relationships" (if you can even call it that) do not last, they tend to be train wrecks that flail out sooner or later. But that's not the point.

My fiance would not have been trying to spend hundreds of dollars on a dinner for us. Heck I think the most expensive dinners we've had, were ones I paid for entirely because it was his birthday and I wanted to take him to the nice steak place. I'm perfectly content with the middle-of-the-road chain spot that I've got a 2 for 1 coupon for. But, while I don't know the details as we don't really smoosh our finances together, I know that I consider him to be in the same middling place I am in terms of money. I make quite a bit more, but I've got expenses he doesn't. I've had to recover from a disastrous divorce, and I have two kids to support, and I don't ask for or want him to help pay for their needs. So making what I make...well, there are more drains on it that do alter the equation. He has better credit and more in savings than I do. So in some ways I'm doing better and in some ways he is, and I feel that we're comfortably in the middle class overall. Fine with me!

Actually we don't eat out much anymore. We've both been somewhat more frugal lately, and devoting our "fun money" only to a big event or two that we care a lot about during the year. A visit to see his Dad, a convention.

Oh, speaking of the visit to see his Dad. I discovered a French place, it's apparently a chain but we don't have one here..."La Madeleine"...I fell absolutely in love with this place. The pastries, oh my god... No need whatsoever to spend stupid amounts of money feeding me. Nope. Just take me somewhere that has delicious chocolate tarts. Mmmm....*swoon*

Old Today, 08:33 AM

13,045 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why not? It's rampant in this thread. If you're a 1%er, a $200 per person meal in a restaurant in a high cost of living urban place is normal.
I am SO totally imagining that 1% going onto OKC to find me instead of hanging out on his yacht with his 1% buddies and their cling-ons.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

10,086 posts, read 3,869,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
????

Why do you think that is?

Old Today, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am SO totally imagining that 1% going onto OKC to find me instead of hanging out on his yacht with his 1% buddies and their cling-ons.
Who said anything about OK Cupid? Say I have a couple orchestra seats at the Boston Symphony, my date cancels, and I ask someone I know slightly who I know who I know likes classical music if they want to go for a bite to eat and some Mozart? That’s $200. I used to have a symphony subscription and 5th row seats. I actually did that. I also own a sailboat. I’ve asked women to go sailing. My first date with my girlfriend was cocktails in the cockpit floating at the mooring. I still have the bottle of Bombay Sapphire with 2 shots gone because she said gin & tonic. The tonic water glass bottles are still probably floating around, too. I loathe gin. She drinks wine and extra dry vodka martinis.

Old Today, 01:30 PM

13,045 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Quote:
Who said anything about OK Cupid? Say I have a couple orchestra seats at the Boston Symphony, my date cancels, and I ask someone I know slightly who I know who I know likes classical music if they want to go for a bite to eat and some Mozart? Thatís $200.
I suppose it is fun to make up scenarios that have nothing to do with the OP. Go for it.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I suppose it is fun to make up scenarios that have nothing to do with the OP. Go for it.
You mean asking someone on a date that someone making minimum wage would think is expensive?

Old Today, 02:06 PM

9,132 posts, read 8,433,430 times
Quote:
You mean asking someone on a date that someone making minimum wage would think is expensive?
I can afford a $200 entree. I would never spend $200 on one entree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or