U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

15,005 posts, read 12,441,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, no woman is going to be flattered that you took her to a classy and expensive restaurant?

Hmm... Sounds kind of fishy to me.
$200 entree isn’t going to make most woman drop their drawers, Lol

Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM

714 posts, read 641,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
$200 entree isn’t going to make most woman drop their drawers,
Lol
Nor will a nice car, contrary to my Mustang-driving self at 17.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,329,849 times
Quote:
So, no woman is going to be flattered that you took her to a classy and expensive restaurant?

Flattered? That wasn't the question. You were asking about what the woman would think about your expectations in regards to the expensive restaurant.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 3,051,133 times
Quote:

I like to eat well, but any restaurant that charges $200 for an entree is outrageously pretentious, and not my kinda place.

I'd think of that type of establishment as a special-event type destination. The Inn at Little Washington, for example. Not appropriate for a run-of-the-mill date, especially not a first date. It would reek of trying too hard to impress.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM

746 posts, read 149,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Yes.
Also FWIW, if you can think outside the box and NOT go to dinner on a first date, that would win some points (for me)
Maybe you listen to her a little- does she seem like out to dinner would be her thing? If so, what KIND of out to dinner? Maybe she's more a farm-to-table type girl and doesn't even want the $$ restaurant atmosphere.
If you have already done that and know for SURE she wants and expects the $200 place, then it is you, not she, who should feel uncomfortable.
Yes. As an aside, I think dinner is not always a good idea for a first date unless I already know the person a bit and know that I like them. I prefer coffee or drinks that way I can cut it short if I'm not having fun.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM

9,796 posts, read 10,568,769 times
Do such restaurants with $200 entrees really exist? I have to assume the OP misspoke when they stated that.

Living in metro Boston, highest bill I ever paid for dinner at a really nice place was maybe $160 for the entire meal, not including tip. Usually that's entrée, sides, couple glasses of wine and dessert for my wife and I. Most expensive entrees I've ever seen is maybe $50-60 or so for a really good steak.

Still...that's like anniversary dinner to us...not a first date.

EDIT: Actually, I've seen a few sushi boats in the $150 range at some of the places I've gone. But I can't see a person taking a woman out on the date and ordering themselves a couple of those

Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM

17,314 posts, read 17,628,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am curious. Where do some of you live who think that $200 for a nice meal is so outrageous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The OP said $200 per entree, not for the entire meal.

$200 for a meal is not that unusual. $200 per plate is another level
I live in a Midwest city of 1 1/2 million people. I do not believe that we even have one restaurant in my entire city (maybe my entire state) that charges $200 for an entrée. If you are talking about the entire meal for one person for $200, including drinks, and appetizers and dessert, there are numerous restaurants that charge that amount.

IMHO, you would have to be a billionaire to take a new date to a place with a $200 entrée.

Frankly, if a someone that I was just starting to date took me to a place like that I would be afraid that he planned to forcibly date rape me (or even worse).

Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,212,957 times
If I took a woman to a restaurant with $200 entrees I'd be thinking she owes me money!

And no intimacy either, I wouldn't want her to mistake sex for payment.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 PM

892 posts, read 217,987 times
i'd want any such date to be voluntary on my part; i wouldn't want to date someone who thinks nothing of such an expensive meal. sure, he can do this if he *wants* to, without

'expectations' beyond that, but i'd want him to be upfront about that if there were. then i'd say "well, maybe someone else would want that; just not me."

Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM

17,687 posts, read 19,164,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I live in a Midwest city of 1 1/2 million people. I do not believe that we even have one restaurant in my entire city (maybe my entire state) that charges $200 for an entrée. If you are talking about the entire meal for one person for $200, including drinks, and appetizers and dessert, there are numerous restaurants that charge that amount.

IMHO, you would have to be a billionaire to take a new date to a place with a $200 entrée.

Frankly, if a someone that I was just starting to date took me to a place like that I would be afraid that he planned to forcibly date rape me (or even worse).

Are you serious? So a guy who likes fine dining and decides to invite you to join him for a meal is probably a date rapist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or