U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
714 posts, read 641,122 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You know...I guess I can see where a $200 entrée might not be all THAT unusual for a first date. Like say...I don't know...you're having a first date with Jeff Bezzos. I'm sure he can eat anywhere he wants, and if he wants to impress me, it's probably not THAT big a deal for him to drop a few hundred to a thousand bucks on one meal. Maybe that's what he's used to.
But would that kind of setting push you towards a more, um, naked evening? Pardon me if I’m putting words in your mouth, but I’d wager it won’t.

 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM
 
13,049 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Reputation: 16589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I wish I knew which you were thinking of specifically...well...I might know...but yeah, it's an understatement that I am not a foodie.
I don't remember which thread. But you said something about partners fooling your into eating vegetables because you don't eat them. I hope I did not hurt your feelings. I was goofing around/

Quote:
I was at an Italian place with fiance and a friend of ours on Saturday, eating my Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken, and our friend was like, "So how's your grown up macaroni & cheese?" I didn't take offense. Completely accurate statement on my food tastes. (It was, by the way, delicious, even coming in under $10 in cost--but that's just for the ENTREE. lol)

But I have been known to lay down some cash for a really good bison steak, though, when I can find it. What sucks is that steaks I get at restaurants, at any price, usually aren't as good as what I cook at home.
mmmm Bison is yummy.

Quote:
People on here are confirming what I thought, which was it's different for those who drink alcohol. That's what drives up the price. Just another reason I'm glad I don't!
Yup
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM
 
7,587 posts, read 11,688,897 times
Reputation: 8463
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
$200 an entree?
That's insane.

I wouldn't let a date pay $200 for my dinner. And I sure as F am not taking anyone (myself included). I've been to some seriously upscale places and put down $250-300 for both our meals, drinks, app, sides. But $200 for the entree?!

That's BEYOND the point at which the food is worth it. I know food. I cook. I consume high end ingredients.

$200 an entree = novelty nonsense.
Restaurants are never worth the $ you spend for the food, but I get your point.

I would say that after $$$ ($30-40 entree) restaurants, excluding steaks and sushi, that you reach a point of diminishing returns.

I would also say that in a city like NY or LA, the known $$$$ restaurants are such a part of the culture of living there, that many women would go on a date just to go to the restaurant if offered ... and I wouldn't necessarily blame them...
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM
 
7,019 posts, read 2,530,355 times
Reputation: 16088
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
But would that kind of setting push you towards a more, um, naked evening? Pardon me if I’m putting words in your mouth, but I’d wager it won’t.

No...I don't think it would. Honestly...I'm not sure. Could I be seduced by that kind of power? Assuming that I would actually know this first date is with a rich and powerful man? I don't know...maybe?


But if it's a date with the mechanic who worked on my car last week, I'd find it bizarre I think, and NO it would not be a turn-on, I don't think.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado
12,227 posts, read 7,480,849 times
Reputation: 21928
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't remember which thread. But you said something about partners fooling your into eating vegetables because you don't eat them. I hope I did not hurt your feelings. I was goofing around/
...
Oh, not at all. And I suspected that might have been the comment you were referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
No...I don't think it would. Honestly...I'm not sure. Could I be seduced by that kind of power? Assuming that I would actually know this first date is with a rich and powerful man? I don't know...maybe?

But if it's a date with the mechanic who worked on my car last week, I'd find it bizarre I think, and NO it would not be a turn-on, I don't think.
LOL if an auto mechanic took me to a place with $200 entrees, I would not suspect him of being some sort of a date rapist (as one poster said) but I'd sure wonder if he were part of the mafia or something.

"Sorry, I just wasn't really feeling any chemistry. Best of luck to you, though!"
"You can't leave. You know too much. You got nice legs, lady...it'd be a shame if sumthin'...happened to 'em...capisce?"
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM
 
685 posts, read 345,908 times
Reputation: 483
In my experience the amount of money a guy drops on me doesnt make me more likely to have sex with him, independent of whether I would have anyways.

I figure its his choice. I didnt force him. I didnt make any promises, and Im not a hooker. If I feel a lot of chemistry and attraction though, of course it can happen.

I like it to be organic. My forcing it, without attraction, simply because our date cost him $500, would be cringey to me, and I imagine he would be able to sense I wasnt into it.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM
 
2,206 posts, read 1,732,619 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
You should get something for that kinda money. Just saying. At very least, a bit of honesty on her part for saying thanks but no thanks to a second date request.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Continental Europe
746 posts, read 149,896 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
You should get something for that kinda money. Just saying. At very least, a bit of honesty on her part for saying thanks but no thanks to a second date request.
Something sexual? If so, that's really gross.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,743 posts, read 33,660,574 times
Reputation: 32566
Mod cut. Anyone who’d pay $200 a plate anywhere is a new fool.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-14-2019 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,743 posts, read 33,660,574 times
Reputation: 32566
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am curious. Where do some of you live who think that $200 for a nice meal is so outrageous?
I live in DC, high COL and cosmopolitan city, and I think that’s outrageous. I also lived in Louisville, big foodie city and I never ran into a place there which would charge $200 a plate (probably because they know they are still in p$&@-poor Kentucky but I digress.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top