Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Do such restaurants with $200 entrees really exist? I have to assume the OP misspoke when they stated that.

Living in metro Boston, highest bill I ever paid for dinner at a really nice place was maybe $160 for the entire meal, not including tip. Usually that's entrée, sides, couple glasses of wine and dessert for my wife and I. Most expensive entrees I've ever seen is maybe $50-60 or so for a really good steak.

Still...that's like anniversary dinner to us...not a first date.

EDIT: Actually, I've seen a few sushi boats in the $150 range at some of the places I've gone. But I can't see a person taking a woman out on the date and ordering themselves a couple of those
Oh, I've paid more than that.

In NYC, typically you would get a 4 or 5 course dinner, and it might be something like $100-$200 for a tasting or 4 or 5 course menu. Add in drinks, and tip and a meal for me and my girlfriend could easily be $500.

We'd go during restaurant weeks and on rare occassion, pay full price if it's a place we really wanted to go to.

That was a while ago. Consider inflation and it's probably closer to $150-$300.

The funny thing is that we didn't have any money back then, but we would still fork out.

These days some of my friends make a TON of $, enough where a $300 meal a head wouldn't impact them at all. But they're spending their money on organic milk and classes for their kids.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
@calipoppy, it's not a matter of hostility, per se, more that I would immediately feel that I'm sitting across from someone who does not share my values or priorities...in the slightest.

Also, I'm not a foodie. It would be completely wasted on me. So it would neither flatter or impress me. It'd be a bad move.

It isn't even a judgment against someone for loving "fine dining" since in most places (which you consider "flyover country" perhaps) this goes way beyond that. It's like how Starbucks charges more for "the experience" or ambiance or something...when they don't even really have that, not really. Most of the very cool people I knew in the Seattle area, were not actually fans of Starbucks. It was far more hip to go to a little small business coffee shop with some character, of which there were MANY. The question with some really over the top price-tag is...what are you really paying for? Is the food quality truly that great? Or is it for the bump to your image or ego?

I would rather have a partner who donates a spare $100 bill to a cause of some sort, than one who sets it on fire to light his cigar in front of me, just to prove that he can. To some of us...without any further qualifying details than what we were given, this looks somewhat of the same flavor.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
@calipoppy, it's not a matter of hostility, per se, more that I would immediately feel that I'm sitting across from someone who does not share my values or priorities...in the slightest.

Also, I'm not a foodie. It would be completely wasted on me. So it would neither flatter or impress me. It'd be a bad move.

Haaaaa. Choke.

Sorry. But that was funny based on other posts.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The question with some really over the top price-tag is...what are you really paying for? Is the food quality truly that great? Or is it for the bump to your image or ego?
It's partly to say you have been there if you live in a 'cool' city with known restaurants.

But the food and service is really good as well. Typically.

To be honest, alcohol is where they kill you. And where I got killed.

I had a friend who worked in those restaurants and he said alcohol is how they made their big bucks. The markup on that is way more than the food. Even the most expensive restaurants pay their kitchen staff jack ****.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
I must admit I enjoy fine dining. Thats one thing I really dislike about being single, not having a dining companion. I like the atmosphere of nice restaurants, beautiful surroundings, attentiveness of the wait staff, and creative and unusual menu items.

But even when I was dating very actively a nice restaurant on a first date was rare. What guy has the money to spend several hundred dollars on a first date? Most dont and those that do probably have lots of options and save it for a very special girl.

Only once did a guy on a first date treat me to a pretty nice restaurant. $50 bottle of wine and each entree probably $25 or so, (this was 20 years ago), very romantic setting.

Im not sure what his motive was. He probably did maybe see potential in me as possible long term partner, though I did screw things up with him. We stayed in touch years after that, though didnt "consummate" our rship with sex until 10 years later. Im sure he stopped taking me seriously as a potential partner long before that though.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
If we're talking first date, I'd think he was showing off. A little bit of showing off is fine, and even expected maybe...but THIS display would be...I don't know...disconcerting? Confusing? But...if he's a nice guy, maybe I'd start to wonder if he's a super rich guy, and will he fly me to Paris on his private jet on our next date? LOL

Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Are you serious? So a guy who likes fine dining and decides to invite you to join him for a meal is probably a date rapist?
I was being somewhat facetious. However, I suspect that someone who decides to take a woman on a first date to a very expensive restaurant, without taking her opinion and feelings into consideration, is not used to anyone telling him "No". And, if someone did tell him "No" he would just ignore that and pressure them until he assumes that they really meant to say "Yes".

Now, it would be a different situation if they had been dating for a while, and/or if this was someone who the woman knew very well and they both enjoyed fine dining. But, a random dude, who is a virtual stranger, Nope, Nada, Nein, Negative, Never, No.

It was like the time when I was in college and an older businessman invited me to travel out of town to see an expensive show/play and stay at a hotel in a bigger city on a first date. It is possible that if he had asked me for coffee and dessert or for a meal at an affordable restaurant and got to knew me better I would have been happy to spend a weekend with him (heck, even fairly soon in our relationship), but not for first date. But it really felt like he was just trying to "buy me" and would definitely expect a lot in return. That is what this sounds like to me. BTW, after I politely turned him down for the weekend trip and suggested a regular date in our town, he never followed up.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-14-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Haaaaa. Choke.

Sorry. But that was funny based on other posts.
I wish I knew which you were thinking of specifically...well...I might know...but yeah, it's an understatement that I am not a foodie.

I was at an Italian place with fiance and a friend of ours on Saturday, eating my Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken, and our friend was like, "So how's your grown up macaroni & cheese?" I didn't take offense. Completely accurate statement on my food tastes. (It was, by the way, delicious, even coming in under $10 in cost--but that's just for the ENTREE. lol)

But I have been known to lay down some cash for a really good bison steak, though, when I can find it. What sucks is that steaks I get at restaurants, at any price, usually aren't as good as what I cook at home.

People on here are confirming what I thought, which was it's different for those who drink alcohol. That's what drives up the price. Just another reason I'm glad I don't!

Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
You know...I guess I can see where a $200 entrée might not be all THAT unusual for a first date. Like say...I don't know...you're having a first date with Jeff Bezzos. I'm sure he can eat anywhere he wants, and if he wants to impress me, it's probably not THAT big a deal for him to drop a few hundred to a thousand bucks on one meal. Maybe that's what he's used to.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
$200 an entree?
That's insane.

I wouldn't let a date pay $200 for my dinner. And I sure as F am not taking anyone (myself included). I've been to some seriously upscale places and put down $250-300 for both our meals, drinks, app, sides. But $200 for the entree?!

That's BEYOND the point at which the food is worth it. I know food. I cook. I consume high end ingredients.

$200 an entree = novelty nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships