U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 09:21 AM

5,427 posts, read 2,897,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I go out to dinner with someone i met and i thought she seemed nice...until i order my meal. Outback Steakhouse and I order a steak with mashed potatoes and green beans. OMG she squeals, you can't do that, you ordered three starches! WTF? I just look at her. Then, she tells the waitress, he wants a salad instead of green beans. I am speechless.
Then i get the lecture that always lights me up... a man your age shouldn't eat like that and goes on to tell me how i should eat. The bottom of my 22 ouncer came fast.

Normally i would have paid and walked but i was hungry. So i decide to see if i can **** her off. I tell her i am a grown man and can eat what i want. She goes on a tirade about healthy eating. I laugh. When dinner is over and we are walking out, she says, next time i am taking you someplace healthy. Hahaha I say, sorry honey, there will not be a next time. Oh, why not, just because i told you you don't eat healthy? I say yes, have a nice night and hop in the car.

To make the night better she is still belittling me about my eating habits while I am driving away. I have dated healthy eaters before but they have never tried to shove it down my throat like this one.

Any other guys here experienced this? I generally try to stay away from anyone who claims to go to the gym 7 days a week or I know eats nuts and berries because I know there will be a problem. Even though I am a thin guy, they always tell me I should eat healthy and work out. Geez.
Nope that is when you bring up your fondness for Donald Trump & Veal and watch her go off like a grenade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 AM

745 posts, read 346,156 times
How did you get her to walk through the door into Outback?

Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,848,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think you ran across a super controlling woman who just happened to be a health nut rather than a health nut who is controlling because she is super health conscious.
I agree. I know quite a few people who are vegans or vegetarians, and they've never once been in my face about it or tried to convert me or criticize my choices. I actually eat pretty healthy myself most of the time, but I do on rare occasion get a steak. Most places these days (even chains) have vegan choices on their menus. This woman the OP dated is probably controlling on a lot of other things too.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 AM

3,624 posts, read 1,672,814 times
I wonder if vegetarianism and veganism are more low-key and laissez-faire in cultures where they have a long history, rather than being a fad/trend. For example, India, at home and in the diaspora. Many Indians are vegetarians but equally many are not. (Although most avoid beef if they're Hindu and pork if they're Muslim.) So, not eating meat is seen with the same nonchalance as having brown eyes. Restaurant and catering menus offer both options, meat and non-meat, people choose one or the other, but no one really cares who eats what. I've worked in companies with H1-B Indian workers, so I know.

By contrast, in the US, with its food history heavily skewed toward meat and potatoes, nontraditional dietary choices often draw a lot of attention. So, people react by either being overly shy or overly in-your-face about it. Vegetarians/vegans sometimes fall into either category.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 PM

8,384 posts, read 9,883,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How do you know if someone is a vegetarian or an atheist? Wait five minutes. They'll tell you.
This is my experience with religious types. It's God bless this or that, thank God, it's a miracle, etc.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 PM

9,789 posts, read 5,496,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This is my experience with religious types. It's God bless this or that, thank God, it's a miracle, etc.
Same with my experience...

It's not like atheists have the equivalent of "God bless", "Thank God" and such... This is still very much a religious society that shuns non-believers; and there's nothing to be gained by being openly vocal about being atheist.

Now.. if someone initiates the conversation around religion, there are definitely atheist nut cases that will be adamant about proving them wrong. There are nut cases in every camp; whether religion or politics. The most vocal are the ones that hide behind keyboards on the internet forums..... but that isn't what I've seen IRL.

Same with vegetarians/vegans and such. It only comes up when a meal is ordered. None of the vegetarians I know make an issue of it. Then again, most of those that I know are (as pointed out by MillennialUrbanist) so due to religious and cultural reasons such as from India rather than the typical American vegetarian who do it as a way to be healthy (or even follow a fad).

I have a friend who is a follower of Wicca.... try being open about that... ugh.. suddenly everyone thinks you are a witch (in the context of stories/fairytales/movies etc) or worse a devil worshipper. Most think her small tattoo is the symbol of Satan... she is proud of it but yet hides it.

Blessed Be

Last edited by usayit; 08-17-2019 at 11:59 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 01:09 PM

18,751 posts, read 20,656,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I go out to dinner with someone i met and i thought she seemed nice...until i order my meal. Outback Steakhouse and I order a steak with mashed potatoes and green beans. OMG she squeals, you can't do that, you ordered three starches! WTF? I just look at her. Then, she tells the waitress, he wants a salad instead of green beans. I am speechless.
Then i get the lecture that always lights me up... a man your age shouldn't eat like that and goes on to tell me how i should eat. The bottom of my 22 ouncer came fast.

Normally i would have paid and walked but i was hungry. So i decide to see if i can **** her off. I tell her i am a grown man and can eat what i want. She goes on a tirade about healthy eating. I laugh. When dinner is over and we are walking out, she says, next time i am taking you someplace healthy. Hahaha I say, sorry honey, there will not be a next time. Oh, why not, just because i told you you don't eat healthy? I say yes, have a nice night and hop in the car.

To make the night better she is still belittling me about my eating habits while I am driving away. I have dated healthy eaters before but they have never tried to shove it down my throat like this one.

Any other guys here experienced this? I generally try to stay away from anyone who claims to go to the gym 7 days a week or I know eats nuts and berries because I know there will be a problem. Even though I am a thin guy, they always tell me I should eat healthy and work out. Geez.
Two choices here
1. Excuse me waitress. Can I get a to go box. Pack it up walk out. She can handle paying the bill.

2. When the bill comes...Since you seem to tell me what I can eat I think you should be the one paying for the meal.

I remember I went to help a friend once. His wife was going to cook this elaborate mean. I did about 6 hours worth of work. ***** came out with some arugula nut and berry salad. So I had a little bit. And I was waiting for the main course. And waiting......and waiting.
My wife later said she was dying inside because she knew what I was thinking. I stopped at a burger joint to eat on the way home.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:20 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,736,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,738,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
The self-righteous will likely never turn down a chance to lecture.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:46 PM

985 posts, read 269,482 times
Reading this thread, I feel like it's an important reminder to be clear about who you are and what your standards are from the get go. There's no reason anyone should have to end up in an uncomfortable situation like this. If similar dining lifestyles are important to you, ASK before dating someone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships