Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 05:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Maybe those of us who have had luck in love may want to have the experience and insight of others to assist us in finding love? Just a thought. :
From what I've seen, many posters on the Relationships threads claim they love being single, that it's the greatest thing. So it does seem strange they post in Relationships quite often. If I loved being single, the last thing I'd want to do is talk about relationships or get advice about them. I'd be out having all that fun they talk about. You know, traveling to all those exotic locales, night clubs, hanging out with buddies, career stuff....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 05:26 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
From what I've seen, many posters on the Relationships threads claim they love being single, that it's the greatest thing. So it does seem strange they post in Relationships quite often. If I loved being single, the last thing I'd want to do is talk about relationships or get advice about them. I'd be out having all that fun they talk about. You know, traveling to all those exotic locales, night clubs, hanging out with buddies, career stuff....

I love being single now because its more stress free than all the times I was coupled up. Not that I don't like the concept of a relationship, if the right one were to come around. I am open to the idea, but I'm not in a state of desperation wanting to latch on to the first able bodied man to cross my path. I can skate along contentedly as I am now for the rest of my life. A relationship, the right one, would just be icing on the cake. I will take being single over being trapped in the wrong relationship, all day, though.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Huck is OK, but I have to disagree. I will agree that most marry for lust, for the others money or sex. But some actually do marry out of a giving sacrificial love for their mate. My wife and my marriage has been like that. By no means perfect, but pretty good, and still going strong after 43 yrs.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:23 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Huck is OK, but I have to disagree. I will agree that most marry for lust, for the others money or sex. But some actually do marry out of a giving sacrificial love for their mate. My wife and my marriage has been like that. By no means perfect, but pretty good, and still going strong after 43 yrs.

Does that mean you are the carer for your wife, or vice versa?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Not that I don't like the concept of a relationship, if the right one were to come around. I am open to the idea, but I'm not in a state of desperation wanting to latch on to the first able bodied man to cross my path. I can skate along contentedly as I am now for the rest of my life. A relationship, the right one, would just be icing on the cake. I will take being single over being trapped in the wrong relationship, all day, though.
This is pretty much how I feel too.

I think that ClaraC is conflating never having been in love with not wanting a relationship at all. However the two are VERY different. I believe people with that mindset think that love is something that happens to everyone by a certain time but that's not the case. While it may be the rule (kind of since it's such a personal experience), there are MANY exceptions because it all depends on what one perceives as love. Sometimes people never experience it at all.

I think it's very important to have a balanced view of relationships between human beings. A good idea of the pros and the cons, just like with everything else. It's important to weigh it, especially depending on the circumstances. I believe many societies swing too far in the direction of idealization, to the point where we view those who don't share same views/have similar experiences as a failure or someone to pity. We hold it high on a pedestal.

I think we can all agree that love is a wonderful thing when it's "right" but how often is it "right" realistically speaking? It's not realistic to expect everyone to experience it nor is it logical. It definitely isn't something to pity someone for. It's okay not to experience EVERYTHING life has to offer, as there is always a trade off of some kind. It's fine to have it as goal when there is someone you have feelings for, but worrying about it otherwise is unnecessary and silly. I'm going off on a tangent but I think I made my point.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM

236 posts, read 127,789 times
Twice! The first one is down stairs sleeping on the couch and the second one is asleep in her crib. Perfect time for video games and me time

Old 08-24-2019, 08:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Damn. That made hell of a lot of sense. /no sarcasm

Old 08-25-2019, 04:03 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Twice. Once in college that was ruined by bad timing and Catholic guilt, and once with the guy I was married to for 30+ yrs. It could happen again, you never know.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Four times.

1. At 18. It was the summer before we started college. We were each other's first love and fell head over heels in love. It was intense and wonderful. But attending different colleges made it difficult to see one another. After a year and a half, he decided he did not want a long-distance relationship, and ended it. I was devastated.

2. At 21. We loved each other, but were too young and opinionated. He never wanted to get married, which really strained the relationship because marriage was important to me. I broke up with him.

3. In my late 20s. We were headed toward marriage. But we had major religious differences, plus I started to realize that he was narcissistic and very hurtful. It became obvious that that it was time to end the relationship.

4. At 33. We hit it off right away, and love grew as we got to know one another. I married him.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Same here. I had to learn to stop idolizing men. It wasn't healthy.
And I've had to learn to stop putting women I'm very attracted to on a pedestal. Hasn't been easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships