U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:10 AM

79,291 posts, read 71,525,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
For the women, a question: I have heard stories of women getting catcalled, but honestly, is it really a thing? Something that's happened to you?
This has been going on for many generations. And it might interest you (and others) to know, that this behavior is completely absent in the Scandinavian countries. Any women who are sick and tired of it, should take a vacation to that part of the world. It's liberating! Cross over the border into Germany, though, and it's back to "normal".

Old Today, 08:11 AM

13,069 posts, read 10,118,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog Alert View Post
The only thing worse than being cat called is NOT being cat called.
Who thinks this?

Old Today, 08:14 AM

12,230 posts, read 7,485,507 times
I used to get lots of random men in public making comments, shouting vulgarities, overtly ogling, whistling, following me around...you name it.

When I was a teenager. About age 12-18. After I became an adult it dropped off dramatically. I cannot recall it happening in recent years.

I prefer not to get that kind of attention. I don't mind people that I know, in settings where I feel safe and respected, expressing that they think I look hot or that they find me attractive. But I don't need comments from randos on the street. I am not in any way disappointed to not be getting that sort of thing now...but I AM more than a bit disgusted that I was getting it then.

It was always worst if I showed any sign of discomfort. There is an element of bully mentality in this, these guys enjoy making women and girls feel unsafe and unsettled. Of course if one dishes some sass back, some of them get hostile...because there is a reaction they want (fear, blushing, discomfort) and if you don't show it, they get mad and escalate.

Don't any guy fool themselves into thinking this kind of behavior is a compliment to a woman. It's not. I can accept a legit compliment, even from a stranger, graciously. Cat calling isn't about that.

Old Today, 08:21 AM

131 posts, read 50,896 times
Geez, where do you women live? Saudi Arabia? I doubt this stuff happens in Oklahoma.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

43,925 posts, read 42,522,667 times
Quote:
Geez, where do you women live? Saudi Arabia? I doubt this stuff happens in Oklahoma.
Why?

People are people everywhere. Some are better at being human than others, but it's not limited by geography.

Just because you haven't observed or experienced something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

2,157 posts, read 596,079 times
Quote:
For the women, a question: I have heard stories of women getting catcalled, but honestly, is it really a thing? Something that's happened to you?
This is one of those...depends on the situations things...

If you're out on a Fri night, people got their paychecks in, going out on the town... hitting the clubs or walking downtown, doin' a pub crawl, dressed to the nines, it makes sense and of course, some kind of remark is going to be made...and typically women welcome it on a Saturday night, when hopping between clubs/bars.

But in a Home Depot or grocery store...not so much. lol Haven't seen a woman get cat called yet at these places.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 321,882 times
Quote:
By construction sites ...or if you are on a city street corner near a bus stop....it can happen BUT it's wildly exaggerated in the forum IMO & isn't going to happen from men who are more educated or white collar.....unless they know you & know they can tease you like that......

Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Of course it does! It's comments like these, that lead us to believe you couldn't possibly be serious with your OP. Or that you've somehow managed to live under a rock your whole life. Don't you have female relatives, friends or co-workers you can ask this question of?

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
This is one of those...depends on the situations things...

If you're out on a Fri night, people got their paychecks in, going out on the town... hitting the clubs or walking downtown, doin' a pub crawl, dressed to the nines, it makes sense and of course, some kind of remark is going to be made...and typically women welcome it on a Saturday night, when hopping between clubs/bars.

But in a Home Depot or grocery store...not so much. lol Haven't seen a woman get cat called yet at these places.
Why would it make sense when women are dressed up? What women have you spoken to, that welcome it under any circumstances, other than comments from friends, which wouldn't be cat-calls, anyway? Specifically, what women have told you they welcome it on.a night out? Or is this another one of your "thought experiments", or things you've read about online?

Old Today, 09:06 AM

13,069 posts, read 10,118,734 times
Quote:
Well this happened to me regardless of where I lived. Interestingly you treat information you asked for with disbelief. #metoo anyone? Does anyone continue to wonder why this was a thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or