U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:06 AM

79,291 posts, read 71,525,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
But in a Home Depot or grocery store...not so much. lol Haven't seen a woman get cat called yet at these places.
Generally, it doesn't happen in enclosed spaces, because the perpetrators want to remain anonymous and outside the range of potential retaliation. We may get some examples of exceptions to that, posted here, we'll see. But this is why cat-calls are done from moving cars, for example. An easy departure, hit-and-run catcalling, is guaranteed. Also why it's done from several floors up on a construction site, for example.

But it does happen in the workplace, in blue-collar jobs that women try to get into for the good pay. This is why sexual-harassment/hostile workplace laws were created. So that workers in traditionally male vocations couldn't drive women out with obscene comments, and such.

Are some of you guys really this clueless about what life is like for women, or are you just messing with us? We could arrange with the Man Upstairs for you to spend your next lifetime/reincarnation as a woman, and see for yourself, if you keep this up.

Old Today, 09:10 AM

13,069 posts, read 10,118,734 times
Quote:
This is one of those...depends on the situations things...

If you're out on a Fri night, people got their paychecks in, going out on the town... hitting the clubs or walking downtown, doin' a pub crawl, dressed to the nines, it makes sense and of course, some kind of remark is going to be made...and typically women welcome it on a Saturday night, when hopping between clubs/bars.

But in a Home Depot or grocery store...not so much. lol Haven't seen a woman get cat called yet at these places.
I have been catcalled
- walking home from work
- on the subway or on the subway platform
- on elevators
etc..

My FIFTEEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER has been catcalled just walking down the street. You wonder why people get annoyed and fed up at this **** basically blaming it on women for having the gall to get dressed up and go out.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

43,925 posts, read 42,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Generally, it doesn't happen in enclosed spaces, because the perpetrators want to remain anonymous and outside the range of potential retaliation.
Yep. So much about this thread is telling.

The thought that women seek catcalling out and enjoy it "while clubbing" is funny. The idea that it wouldn't happen at Home Depot, which is frequented by construction workers who are literally the poster children for catcalling, is hilarious.

FYI TT, the parking lot there is most often where it happens, and painting crews for some reason seem particularly apt.

Most times a man addressing a strange woman as "Mama" isn't meant to be merely congenial.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

1,347 posts, read 321,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep. So much about this thread is telling.

The thought that women seek catcalling out and enjoy it "while clubbing" is funny. The idea that it wouldn't happen at Home Depot, which is frequented by construction workers who are literally the poster children for catcalling, is hilarious.

FYI TT, the parking lot there is most often where it happens, and painting crews for some reason seem particularly apt.

Most times a man addressing a strange woman as "Mama" isn't meant to be merely congenial.
Um....none of us like it....& it can be very threatening if it happens when you are alone....but if I was surrounded by friends walking to a bar & heard catcalls....I wouldn't feel threatened. Other people are very good at helping or protecting any unruly behavior like that.........

I don't go to Home Depot......I wouldn't know if catcalling happens in the parking lot or not......

Old Today, 09:26 AM

7,256 posts, read 4,710,258 times
Uh, yeah. Is this a serious question?

Old Today, 09:29 AM

12,230 posts, read 7,485,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Geez, where do you women live? Saudi Arabia? I doubt this stuff happens in Oklahoma.
Northern Virginia, and Cincinnati, Ohio, were where I lived when I was experiencing it the most.

Why don't you go ask some women in Oklahoma if it happens, if you doubt it so much?

Quote:
This is one of those...depends on the situations things...

If you're out on a Fri night, people got their paychecks in, going out on the town... hitting the clubs or walking downtown, doin' a pub crawl, dressed to the nines, it makes sense and of course, some kind of remark is going to be made...and typically women welcome it on a Saturday night, when hopping between clubs/bars.

Are you suggesting that if I am dressed nice and walking downtown after dark, then I will welcome a dirty man in a dirty truck yelling at me a brief but graphic description of what he'd like to do to my genitals, just before pulling away from a red light? Because of course, "comments will be made?" Do you even actually know what catcalling is?

And since you've got it all figured out, why don't you let me know why it never happens now that I DO dress nice and go downtown, and sometimes step out to smoke while dressed "to the nines" and while I get compliments spoken in a normal voice by normal people I encounter, I'm not having scumbags cruising by screaming obscene things at me now...

But when I was 14 and crossing the crosswalk, on my way to the store, a bunch of construction workers sure did. I seem to recall one of them grabbing his crotch and jiggling it in my general direction, too. In broad daylight. When I was not "dressed to the nines."

This kind of thing...this is why guys don't seem to even understand what women are complaining about. We are not throwing a fit because a guy called us hot or sexy or even whistled or made a smoochy face at us. What we are sick to death of, is disgusting, obscene behavior, often directed at women just going about our normal lives, and often directed at underage teen girls. It is overt, very sexual, and sometimes involves statements like "I'm gonna...." that sometimes seem pretty threatening.

You think it does not happen? That's like saying that bullies don't exist, and harassment isn't even a thing. In what utopia do you dwell, where no one takes it upon themselves to pick on somebody else just to get a rise out of making them uncomfortable? On what planet? And when does the next ship leave to go there, and how do I get a ticket?

For crying out loud, next you'll be telling us that there are no trolls on the internet.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

40,343 posts, read 15,294,702 times
This is not a Relationships topic. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or