U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

2,446 posts, read 857,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.
I get that- I listened to a Planet Money podcast with a researcher who did a really rigorous study and found that, even adjusting for economic differences, kids in intact households with married parents did better in school. I really believe that living with 2 parents in a healthy marriage is best for kids. When the marriage is UNHEALTHY, it's a different decision.

As my dear second husband used to say, "It's better to come from a broken home than to live in one".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 4,787,046 times
Here's the deal. Your parents don't have to live inside your marriage. Sure, they may be disappointed if you divorce, but, honestly SO WHAT? Would they REALLY prefer that you are miserable every single day of your life than that you divorce? Indians divorce; it happens, just like it does with non-Indians. Big deal. You need to do what YOU need to do. This man WILL NOT CHANGE. No matter how "nice" you are, how "obedient" you are, or how "submissive" you are. You are his figurative punching bag and that will not change. Your children will be devastated to see their mother as a shell of a woman walking around sad, miserable, and with no self-esteem or self-worth. A divorce would be a blip on the radar of their lives and you being happy single or in a new relationship would be much more of an influence on their lives than the short-term unhappiness following a divorce.

Tough love, but I think you need to hear it.

Old Today, 04:05 PM

14,157 posts, read 21,023,214 times
You need to get divorced asap. Sounds like something horrible is coming down the line. I would get out now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships