U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:37 AM

236 posts, read 57,009 times

Advertisements

Let's say you're writing a birthday, Christmas, congratulations, etc. card to a romantic interest. How do you sign off? When does "Love, x" become appropriate - and what other options would you consider using?

There's been much discussion of when to say "I love you" in a new relationship - this thread assumes that you haven't yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:42 AM

43,993 posts, read 42,583,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Let's say you're writing a birthday, Christmas, congratulations, etc. card to a romantic interest. How do you sign off? When does "Love, x" become appropriate - and what other options would you consider using?

There's been much discussion of when to say "I love you" in a new relationship - this thread assumes that you haven't yet.
In my experience, before heart-eyes emojis etc, that was how you might pave the way to saying "I love you."

I think that if it's someone you've been exclusive with for a while and for whom you have feelings, then signing the card "love" is appropriate.

Old Today, 08:50 AM

38,634 posts, read 56,482,866 times
Quote:

"Love" became a buzz word long time ago and most people say it without meaning it. It's the most misused/abused word in English language.
People "love" food, puppies, movies, gadgets...etc.
Everyone sign a B-Day card at my work with "love", hearts, kisses and other meaningless words.
It's hard to distinguish when people in relationship really mean it, or just say because they want something (usually sex), or because they are expected to say it, of feel pressured by SO.
The seldom one says it, the more it means, IMHO. I don't abuse that word and try to show my love with action, not words.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

335 posts, read 215,350 times
I would never tell a person I love them for the first time in a greeting a card.

If this person is a romantic interest, I'd probably skip the card and hand deliver whatever congratulatory message myself. Flowers, or whatever, and a hug.

If you really want to send that card anyhow, I'd probably go with just a simple "Congratulations!", "Happy Birthday!", "Merry Christmas!", or whatever as my closing sentiment.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

7,766 posts, read 4,985,379 times
Depends on a few factors:

Length of time of the relationship.
Two individuals involved
Dynamics of the the relationship

The last two factors being the ones where you two have to make the call yourselves.

Last edited by Auraliea; Today at 09:45 AM..

Old Today, 09:43 AM

236 posts, read 57,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
In my experience, before heart-eyes emojis etc, that was how you might pave the way to saying "I love you."

I think that if it's someone you've been exclusive with for a while and for whom you have feelings, then signing the card "love" is appropriate.
Makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Everyone sign a B-Day card at my work with "love", hearts, kisses and other meaningless words.
Has HR seen that card?? Lol. Reminds me of middle school girls using hearts to dot their i's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
I would never tell a person I love them for the first time in a greeting a card.

If this person is a romantic interest, I'd probably skip the card and hand deliver whatever congratulatory message myself. Flowers, or whatever, and a hug.

If you really want to send that card anyhow, I'd probably go with just a simple "Congratulations!", "Happy Birthday!", "Merry Christmas!", or whatever as my closing sentiment.
So in your view, signing off with "Love" is basically equivalent writing out "I love you"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Depends on a few factors:

Length of time of the relationship.
Two individuals involved
Dynamics of the the relationship

The last two factors being the ones where you two have to make the call yourself.
Yes, of course, but not everyone uses or interprets letter closings in the same way (as evidenced by the responses so far) so that's what I was looking for input on.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

9,786 posts, read 5,492,236 times
I have friendships that have progressed to the point we will say "Love yah" as a way to say good bye and both parties know what is implied because we know each other that well....

Those are the people I'd sign a card with "Love"... there really isn't any question on what I mean by it.

Other than that... probably wouldn't sign "Love".

Old Today, 10:56 AM

335 posts, read 215,350 times
Quote:
So in your view, signing off with "Love" is basically equivalent writing out "I love you"?

I'm saying it's close enough that I wouldn't take the chance... and if you DO love them, a greeting card wouldn't be my first approach to that topic.

I also have to be very transparent here and say that I have a long history of dating women who are intellectually over my pay grade, who often think things over in extreme detail in ways I would have never imagined, and have trained me that words really do matter. So... No need to muddy any water with the L word when practically any other phrase achieves the same end in this circumstance, which I assume, is just to show them you're thinking about them on whatever special day it may be.

So, TLDR: Send a card, say something nice which is not "Love", same goal achieved, no drama.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,351,090 times
Just because they say "I love you" , doesn't mean they mean it. Believe me I know.

Old Today, 04:02 PM

14,865 posts, read 10,897,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"Love" became a buzz word long time ago and most people say it without meaning it. It's the most misused/abused word in English language.
People "love" food, puppies, movies, gadgets...etc.
It's hard to distinguish when people in relationship really mean it, or just say because they want something (usually sex), or because they are expected to say it, of feel pressured by SO.
The seldom one says it, the more it means, IMHO. I don't abuse that word and try to show my love with action, not words.
I've always thought the same thing about starting letters with "Dear So-and-So..." It's just an accepted way of doing it, but who really tells random people that they're dear to them? It's such an archaic term.

I sign things with "Love" to non-romantic people, like family members, etc., but I would never do it with a romantic interest until we were already a "thing." I would just sign my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or