U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,522,094 times

Advertisements

You either can accept it or you don't. Certainly don't expect them or coerce them to change just for you. That sets the tone in a relationship that can build resentment. If they change (in this case.. quit smoking), it should be for themselves. No one is perfect and what imperfections you can and cannot accept greatly depends on what you and they bring the table.

I'm not saying that you should settle.... You can certainly continue chasing that "perfect" person... fret over every little aspect of another life.. .sometimes trivial stuff (not saying smoking is trivial)... the question is to what extent? how many missed opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,522,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's kind of hilarious. I've never heard of someone take up smoking for that reason. Eating, yes. Exercising, yes. Serial hook-ups, yes. Even popping pills. But I haven't personally known anyone to decide to smoke as a result of stress.

I bet she will quit, since it was probably just a distracting behavior more than anything. Or else it's one of the funniest lies ever told!

Hopefully "smokers stink!" debate will die down.
I was a social cigar smoker. Maybe 5 the entire year.. usually to celebrate or with a nice stiff drink.

I started smoking regularly (both cigars and cigarettes) after my separation.... more so now than ever... I've since switched to low dose nicotine vape because it doesn't leave a lingering smell on my persons. It also allows me to control the dosage of nicotine (I've transition to the on the lowest over the counter dose).

As to marijuana question prior, yeh... as one who does smoke weed on a occasion it does have a much stronger pungent smell than tobacco. I doubt anyone who doesn't like cigarette smoke is going to be able to tolerate marijuana.

Last edited by usayit; 09-03-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 PM

12,056 posts, read 2,995,242 times
I hate the smell of smoke but I don't mind if someone vapes

Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM

1,616 posts, read 817,978 times
I used to smoke one or two cigarettes per week. I don't understand why people have developed such an irrational hatred for smokers. Now, I think that someone smoking to the point that it negatively impacts everything in their daily life has a significant problem. However, I don't get why someone would refuse to date someone because they smoke occasionally. I mean, really...

Old 09-04-2019, 12:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,854,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I used to smoke one or two cigarettes per week. I don't understand why people have developed such an irrational hatred for smokers. Now, I think that someone smoking to the point that it negatively impacts everything in their daily life has a significant problem. However, I don't get why someone would refuse to date someone because they smoke occasionally. I mean, really...
I don't hate smokers, but I hate cigarette smoke and I'll do everything in my power to avoid it. I remember when I moved here a music venue which I frequent often allowed smoking. When I got home, everything I had on smelled and I had to throw it in the laundry. Thankfully, they've been smoke-free for about 15 years now. People refuse to date others for things much more trivial than smoking and I rarely see any complaints. I've seen just about everything listed on here. In the grand scheme, smoking is a pretty big deal whether it's a few cigarettes a week or a pack. The bottom line is people can refuse to date anyone for whatever reason they choose whether it's smoking, drinking, eye color, hair or lack thereof, lack of common interests, etc.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:57 AM

13,069 posts, read 14,321,403 times
Ask her...it's the rocket science approach, I know, but it often works.

If it's a dealbreaker, she dumps you.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:01 PM

5,726 posts, read 8,294,738 times
OP's Last Activity: Yesterday 02:13 PM

Come back OP & tell us what you think of the rest of our posts.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,141,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
The smell of marijuana smoke makes my stomach turn. Plus, I cannot even be around the stuff since what I do for a living is safety sensitive. In the event of a random **** test, even having the results come back positive from being around a person who smokes it will result in being terminated from the job.
You won't test positive from second hand smoke unless you're locked in a closet for hours and somebody is continously pumping mj smoke into your face.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,357,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You won't test positive from second hand smoke unless you're locked in a closet for hours and somebody is continously pumping mj smoke into your face.
The times I've been around heavy usage were the times I went to a reggae concert. Everybody except me is smoking. I've had some nasty hotbox hangovers.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

5,702 posts, read 2,474,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OP's Last Activity: Yesterday 02:13 PM

Come back OP & tell us what you think of the rest of our posts.
Exactly. Logging in just to read this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or