U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

4,138 posts, read 7,434,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Truth be told, I'm hoping she shows you the door when you bring this up.

I don't feel it's your place, and I find it disgusting when people treat smokers as if they're second-class citizens.
I think the only sin the OP has committed is not ascertaining her smoking status at the beginning of the relationship.

I would simply tell her that smoking is a deal breaker, and you take responsibility for not checking at the very beginning. I wouldn’t even bring up the “will you quit?” subject.

Your disappointment in losing a promising relationship is this semester’s tuition in the School of Hard Knocks, and I bet you won’t make that mistake again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 2,451,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Truth be told, I'm hoping she shows you the door when you bring this up.

I don't feel it's your place, and I find it disgusting when people treat smokers as if they're second-class citizens.
This.

I love the "it's a dealbreaker" people...I guarantee these same people have a 101 somethings that's are major dealbreakers for others.

It's dating. Not marriage. Chill. She didn't smoke near him or smell like it. It was fine before all this nonsense. Anyway the OP has posted about serious dating issues...he should consider ALL people.

Last edited by LLCNYC; Yesterday at 09:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

7,860 posts, read 3,085,657 times
Yeah, I got a kick out of the : ”I froze when I saw that pack of cigarettes” too. As if we ALL see it as the same as a hypodermic needle, or hand gun laying about with the safety off.

Guess what OP? I kind of froze when I saw that “Domestic disturbance” or “violation of restraint order”. Out of curiosity I did ask anyway, but not really the same thing. Smoking is legal right? If you don’t like it that’s fine... so just ask. For me that’s the same as -I don’t want to hear that a guy likes to spend his free time icefishing in the winter, all winter, or watching NASCAR on the weekends, either. Not something I feel like dealing with, so I just say so and do my own thing, IF it’s worth it.

Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 2,451,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah, I got a kick out of the : ”I froze when I saw that pack of cigarettes” too. As if we ALL see it as the same as a hypodermic needle, or hand gun laying about with the safety off.

Guess what OP? I kind of froze when I saw that “Domestic disturbance” or “violation of restraint order”. Out of curiosity I did ask anyway, but not really the same thing. Smoking is legal right? If you don’t like it that’s fine... so just ask. For me that’s the same as -I don’t want to hear that a guy likes to spend his free time icefishing in the winter, all winter, or watching NASCAR on the weekends, either. Not something I feel like dealing with, so I just say so and do my own thing, IF it’s worth it.
Like.

Old Today, 12:34 AM

3,965 posts, read 7,609,040 times
Always amazes me how this type of post goes multi page, particularly after the OP's dilemma was solved after about a half dozen posts

Old Today, 12:50 AM

7,134 posts, read 3,973,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Always amazes me how this type of post goes multi page, particularly after the OP's dilemma was solved after about a half dozen posts
And you helped!

Old Today, 06:51 AM

1,102 posts, read 690,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Mine was the third answer posted and I told him exactly what he needed to do but he ignored me. Oh well. He can continue wringing his hands over it and freaking out but it's a common sense thing which, clearly not everyone has developed in their life, even at his age.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

5,430 posts, read 2,900,204 times
The nerve of people.. I don’t like cigarettes either but I wouldn’t ask someone else to quit or stop after a few dates because of my preferences.

Old Today, 07:02 AM

1,269 posts, read 550,206 times
if she smokes, she pokes

Old Today, 07:16 AM

7,115 posts, read 2,561,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Smokers..( like cat owners) are often nose blind to just how much they stink.

Might be. However, what I said was "People (that implies not just me) often tell me they can't smell it on me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or