Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times

Advertisements

Not sure what women view as "good", I was on the market for a month and my new girl friend snatched me up. I had barely any attention before I found my girl friend. I am an engineer in the 6 figure range, a pilot with my own plane, love to cook etc but im about a 5 in appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
[quote=IbeDavid;3523226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Game theory explains dinner-party dates. - By Mark Gimein - Slate Magazine

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox!

How economics and game theory explain the shortage of available, appealing men.

This was an interesting article to me - and I'm a guy. I was 23 when I married my wife, who was 27.
c
That article about "settling" was interesting, too.... even though it had many parts that were very sad.....

REPLY: All those 'good men' will be experiencing divorce at over a 50% rate.
And half stay together. 50% divorce. But half stay together. Why the presumption they'll divorce?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I've posted it before, but 50% of the people who marry don't get divorced. It's a misquoted statistic and a 40-year-old statistic at that. It's actually closer to 30%.

The problem is they get that statistic by figure out how many people are married in a given year and how many people divorce in a given year. But some of the people that divorce weren't married that year.

So take for example a town where 1000 couples are married. 100 couples get married that year and 50 couples divorce. Half the town didn't get divorced, 50 couples did. And it wasn't 50 couples that got married that year necessarily... it could have been 10 couples that married 5 years ago, 20 couples that married 7 years ago, and the rest that got married 10-20 years ago.

Quote:

A false conclusion in the 1970s that half of all first marriages ended in divorce was based on the simple but completely wrong analysis of the marriage and divorce rates per 1,000 people in the United States. A similar abuse of statistical analysis led to the conclusion that 60 percent of all second marriages ended in divorce.

These errors have had a profound impact on attitudes about marriage in our society and it is a terrible injustice that there wasn’t more of an effort to get accurate data (essentially only obtainable by following a significant number of couples over time and measuring the outcomes) or that newer, more accurate and optimistic data isn’t being heavily reported in the media.

It is now clear that the divorce rate in first marriages probably peaked at about 40 percent for first marriages around 1980 and has been declining since to about 30 percent in the early 2000s. This is a dramatic difference. Rather than viewing marriage as a 50-50 shot in the dark it can be viewed as having a 70 percent likelihood of succeeding. But even to use that kind of generalization, i.e., one simple statistic for all marriages, grossly distorts what is actually going on.

The Myth of the High Rate of Divorce | Psych Central

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
the store ran out of quality good men, you have to wait for a new shipment next week

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Back to the spirit of the thread... there are good men out there. I would even dare say I think the majority of single men out there are "good men." The problem is the jerks and crazies tend to be a little "louder" and more noticed. Don't let the jerks and crazies make you think the whole bunch is rotten.

For what it's worth, sometimes you have to talk to that nice guy who is unassuming and not obnoxious because he's sitting there trying to figure out in his head what to say to you to get your interest but still be polite. Give him a smile and a hello and make things easier for the nice guys. Sometimes they are hard to spot, but they are there .

Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Back to the spirit of the thread... there are good men out there. I would even dare say I think the majority of single men out there are "good men." The problem is the jerks and crazies tend to be a little "louder" and more noticed. Don't let the jerks and crazies make you think the whole bunch is rotten.

For what it's worth, sometimes you have to talk to that nice guy who is unassuming and not obnoxious because he's sitting there trying to figure out in his head what to say to you to get your interest but still be polite. Give him a smile and a hello and make things easier for the nice guys. Sometimes they are hard to spot, but they are there .

I agree. I don't think there really is a shortage of good men. The jerks are just overshadow them. Plus I think miscommunication happens a lot.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM

31,025 posts, read 22,064,322 times
[quote=monemi;29761296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post

And half stay together. 50% divorce. But half stay together. Why the presumption they'll divorce?
And out of the 50% that stay married, 50% shouldn't be. I get some grief from my married friends that assume I should be married by now. What's interesting is the same people that say that seem to have terrible relationships. I would not switch positions with a single married couple I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I agree. I don't think there really is a shortage of good men. The jerks are just overshadow them. Plus I think miscommunication happens a lot.
And for every man that is a Jerk there is a Prima Donna or Bat Crazy woman.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
I find that the woman who think that all the good men are taken are the ones who have really high unrealistic standards and are making excuses for them.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
I think that arrogant treatment of women is a "badboy" sign that attracts a lot of young women, who later get dissapointed wondering why they didn't get a "good man" when they started out choosing a "bad boy".

also what mat said;
A lot of women grossly overestimate their own attraction value, or try to play "hard to get" way beyond the point any man would like to pursue them.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Good men arent taken. They are in your friend zone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships