Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,774,907 times

Advertisements

Game theory explains dinner-party dates. - By Mark Gimein - Slate Magazine

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox!

How economics and game theory explain the shortage of available, appealing men.

This was an interesting article to me - and I'm a guy. I was 23 when I married my wife, who was 27.

That article about "settling" was interesting, too.... even though it had many parts that were very sad.....

Where's the Love?
Marry Him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Where's the Love?
Marry Him!
Very good, unusual, and honest article. I agree with it (based on my experiences and age). I did things in reverse. Got it right at a younger age and derailed later...

Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 PM

I thought that the person I married would have to have a sense of wonderment about the world, would be both spontaneous and grounded, and would acknowledge that life is hard but also be able to navigate its ups and downs with humor.

It's funny that you say you agree with it.......because those lines above (From the "settle" article) pretty much describe....me. Those ideals are the same ideals I try to instill in my children, as well.

Amazing co-in-ki-dink # 2 is my wife is 40, just as the author is.

Spooky.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM

545 posts, read 2,036,051 times
[quote=70Ford;3521366]Game theory explains dinner-party dates. - By Mark Gimein - Slate Magazine

This was an interesting article to me - and I'm a guy. I was 23 when I married my wife, who was 27.
c
That article about "settling" was interesting, too.... even though it had many parts that were very sad.....

REPLY: All those 'good men' will be experiencing divorce at over a 50% rate.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 PM

[quote=IbeDavid;3523226]
Quote:
Game theory explains dinner-party dates. - By Mark Gimein - Slate Magazine

c

REPLY: All those 'good men' will be experiencing divorce at over a 50% rate.
That's a very nice one liner, which could've opened the way to an enlightening dialouge concerning the dearth (or should I say, death) of lasting marriages in the United States. Unfortunately...it was just a one liner.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
which could've opened the way to an enlightening dialouge concerning the dearth (or should I say, death) of lasting marriages in the United States. Unfortunately...it was just a one liner.
Sometimes opening the discussion means sharing more than one would like to share.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,205,588 times
Quote:
Where's the Love?
Marry Him!
Good article, but it'll never fly with most of the single women out there. Also, I wouldn't marry a woman who gave me the impression she was just 'settling' for me. "So this isn't what you really want? Ok have a nice day".

If everyone settled for guys that would be good marriage partners, who were otherwise nothing spectacular, things would probably be A-OK. I can't see that happening. It seems like it takes so long for some people to learn a lesson like that, and by that stage of the game, a lot of the 'good men' are taken. It's supply and demand. How far are you willing to settle for a peaceful mundane marriage?

"What I and many women who hold out for true love forget is that we won’t always have the same appeal that we may have had in our 20s and early 30s. Having turned 40, I now have wrinkles, bags under my eyes, and hair in places I didn’t know hair could grow on women."

Another good point, in that you don't have forever to work with all the tools you were born with to make a man fall head over heels for you. An extreme example would be a smart, funny, mega successful woman in her 50's. I would love to have met her and married her up somethin' fierce when she was 25. Unfortunately she probably wouldn't have given me the time of day at that age, because I'm not the typical D-bag alpha male. What a silly game it all is. I feel bad for older women who are stuck looking, because though they might be perfect marriage material, the same two things pop into my head each time: "Howcome she's not married already??" and, "She's awesome. I bet I could find a younger version of her."

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,959 times
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me YOU
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me ARE
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me A
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me UGLY
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me SKANK
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me I
Im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me im sexy you cant have me HATE

did i mention i am one of those good men you were talking about
YOU

Last edited by Jaberta; 04-20-2008 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: MESSAGE WASNT CLEAR

Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,147,934 times
There is a 100% chance that at some point in time one of those good men had the hots for you. You were either too busy playing hard to get and he lost interest or you were too wrapped up in another fantasy and he lost interest.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,771,884 times
Default Why are all the good men taken?

All the good men are taken because all the good women had sense enough to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships