Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times

Advertisements

At 14 in 1969 I was hopelessely romantic, unlike the young lads today.
I fell in love head over heels with an acquaintance of my mother, a girl of 19, daughter of a wealthy publisher.
It never went further as frenchkissing, but by Jove I was hypnotized by that girl, sometimes I took a ride with her on her Moped, the wind pulled her rich, glistening perfumed mane into my face, it was pure bliss.
When she talked I drank her words as if it had been Champagne, I would have done anything for her.
Unfortunately I was too young for her, she probably had a boyfriend, and our ambiguous relationship lasted only for a few months, after she lost interest in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 01:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I sit here sometimes and wonder how funny it is that basically 3 comments ended 12 years of absolute love for someone. I guess I finally grew up right then too and realized I was in love with someone who didn't exist and never would.
Thanks for sharing, himain.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 PM

720 posts, read 1,408,066 times
Well I won't bore ya to death with my love story...I will just say it's been 2 years, 3 months, 5 days, 32 minutes and 1 second since I ended my love affair. I am still not over him and probally never will be. I can say however I do not regret one moment I spent with him. He taught me sooo much about life, tolerance and love...things didn't end badly, they just ended. I am a better person for knowing him. I don't believe in soul mates, but if I did, he is mine without a doubt. *goes to sob in the corner now* LOL

Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I have to admit that I'm still friends with one of my first true loves - and it's been a long, long time ago. We've even hung out a few times in the past few months, though we live 200 miles apart. (He had business to tend to here in my town) First couple of visits were quite sweet (platonic, honest, but sweet). The most recent visit brought me back to reality.

He'll never change; not the good, not the bad. We're still great friends.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 PM

58 posts, read 226,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I guess I must heal quickly. But I am long over all my past loves. I think that it's because I was in each relationship for at least five years. So any lingering infatuation feelings were all played out and gone.

Quote:
It seems to me that those who suffer the most heartache are from either unrequited crushes or broken up with their s/o before the three year mark when the crush feelings were still dominant. Also being the one dumped always hurts ones pride, even when you know that the relationship was doomed anyway.

I tried to weed out crushes (even serious) with this question, and just focus on first true love. It surprises me that someone can be with someone for 3 years and it still be a crush. I understand what you're saying about a general 5 year mark, but I know of a lot of people who broke up with or lost their first love and still feel they haven't completely gotten over them deep down inside, years and years later, regardless of who broke up with who. Of these relationships, I was curious to know who truly has let go.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:47 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
You know you never really get over your first love, it's been 40 some years and I still have a soft spot in my heart for her. Now don't get me wrong, my wife and I have been married for over 30 some years now and we love each other now as much as we did 30 some years ago, but there's just something about that first love that you never forget and it doesn't hurt to not forget about it because it's a precious memory and that's where it should remain, a precious memory.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Attachments destroy two lives, not just one: the one grasping as well as the one being grasped.

As the old saying goes, if you love them set them free. If it's true love they'll return.

If not, then at least you've both gained your freedom.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
never been in love before

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
time helps. but wounds sustained older take longer to heal.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know you never really get over your first love, it's been 40 some years and I still have a soft spot in my heart for her. Now don't get me wrong, my wife and I have been married for over 30 some years now and we love each other now as much as we did 30 some years ago, but there's just something about that first love that you never forget and it doesn't hurt to not forget about it because it's a precious memory and that's where it should remain, a precious memory.
100% correct - couldn't have said it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships