Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times

Advertisements

Skyxe, I think it could be a big city/small town thing, but it could also be a regional thing, too. There is certainly more diversity in many big cities and, consequently, a more diverse idea of what's attractive.

There are also regional differences in aesthetics. For example, here in New England women tend to be more simple and down-to-earth in appearance compared to, say, Texas women who often wear lots of makeup, high heels, etc. I happen to like the New England "less is more" approach and thus I find the women here to be more attractive, and I feel that many Texas women with big hair and flash are kinda tacky and unattractive. But I suspect that lots of Texans would probably find many New England women to be homely, plain, and unattractive. To each his own.

Don't dismiss a maturity factor, too. I certainly know that as I grew older (I'm in my 40's now--practically an old geezer!) I found increasing aspects of women to be more attractive. The young guys you encounter may have a very limited or cramped view of what's attractive. That's their loss.

Based upon the description you provided I think you'll have no problem with physical attraction. But once one gets past initial physical features it is very true that the feature that makes people most attractive (or makes them a big turnoff) is the big grey organ between the ears.

BTW, I agree with you on Chicago. It's one of my favorite American cities, often overlooked by many but I think it's great. And--like many men--I like hips, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
I live in the city of Los Angeles and it really depends in what part of the city you live here that determines whether you are 'Hot, Beautiful, Pretty, Gorgeous, or O.k.'. Guys in East Los Angeles might have different opinions on what is 'hot' than the guys in 'West L.A. Overall, in Los Angeles, you really have to stand out amongst the millions of girls to get a guys attention. I would have opinioned the complete opposite from your post. Perhaps, small town guys are much more respectful in that aspect but Ive never really lived in a small town.
I'm sorry to say, but small town guys suck!!! I've lived here for 4 years now and every man I came in contact with was rude to me. My friend is dating and she finds it hard to find a great guy here. I told her to try Phoenix, because the men there can afford a great night out with her, without sex being involved. All small town guys (in this town, that is) want to do is have sex and nothing more from you.

When I was in a big city (I lived in Phoenix for almost 4 years before moving here) I got more compliments from men than I have here. Since I've been here they have been passing rumors/gossip about me because of the way I dress and such. I never had that when I was in the big city. The men here are very rude.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
It depends on the town!!! And it depends on the big city!!! Cities and towns are like people, there are all different types. What is hot in one city is decidedly not in another.

A poster above said something about guys not wanting to hook up with a good girl, because the town was so small they would have to see them again. That sounds pretty close to the truth. Boil it down even further, pretend you lived in a town with 300 people. If there was a nice 16 year old girl who looked like she would probably become emotionally attached from a one-night-stand, you'd probably stay away from her! Her dad probably lives two blocks down! If you live in a huge city, you're unlikely to see the same person again unless you keep hitting up the same club, so anything goes.

And I would also estimate that if you live in a big city, there are that many more guys and so that much more competition over you. Plus larger cities tend to have a more fast-paced dating scene, so the guys (and gals) are not afraid to come right up to the pretty looking girl standing by herself and make some magic happen. Play the numbers game, and you are bound to get lucky. Small town singles are just not as smooth.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
All I know is for a fact, that mannerisms are very much different between the city boys and country boys. So is their style of dress and choices of women.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post

Since I've been here they have been passing rumors/gossip about me because of the way I dress and such.
Well then put on some different clothes and stop doing that "and such".

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyxe View Post
....I'm sixteen and have spent my freshman and sophomore high school years in a very small, Southern town...

...I'm half-Korean and half-French...
One question. How diverse is your small southern town. Are there many other half-french/half Koreans attending?

As a point of reference I went to a rural high school when I was growing up. There were not many other races...maybe a couple of American Indians. There was one black girl but I think she transfered out to the nearest school with other black kids.

To be honest with you I never have found women of other races than my own attractive. It's just because of my childhood of growing up with only white people.

I saw a documentery on PBS a while back where they went to Africa. Someone asked a man (african) if he found this female camera crew member attractive (white...i thought she was cute). He smiled and shook his head no. His view of attractive women would be the sorts of women he grew up around.

So what I'm saying is if you live in a culturally diverse area like Chicago you'll likely get a little more play.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Well then put on some different clothes and stop doing that "and such".
As long as I have 1 ass, and not 2, and can wear a size 7, I think I can wear what I want. Thanks...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post

As long as I have 1 ass, and not 2, and can wear a size 7, I think I can wear what I want. Thanks...
Well of course you can wear what you want.

But they are not gossiping and passing rumors because you have one ass and wear a size seven.

They are doing it because of what you have chosen to wear on your one size seven ass.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I think that there is extra attraction towards someone who is different from the norm. The O.P. is a fresh faced girl from the South, and she is now going to school in a Northern city. She stands out as being exotic with her accent and mannerisms. The guys are being curious as many haven't met a Southern belle before.

And a city girl from Chicago could visit the O.P.'s hometown down south and probably get a lot of male attention during her stay for the same reason. Males especially intrigued by women who are different from what they are used to experiencing from the local females.

Also if the O.P. grew up in a small town environment, then all the guys have known her all her life and watched her grow up. They may feel that she is more family to them, not girlfriend material.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that there is extra attraction towards someone who is different from the norm. The O.P. is a fresh faced girl from the South, and she is now going to school in a Northern city. She stands out as being exotic with her accent and mannerisms. The guys are being curious as many haven't met a Southern belle before.

And a city girl from Chicago could visit the O.P.'s hometown down south and probably get a lot of male attention during her stay for the same reason. Males especially intrigued by women who are different from what they are used to experiencing from the local females.
Can't beat young and exotic. I met a chick from australia a while back, if she had lived here all her life her body and face would have struck me as 'average,' but because she had the aussie accent and her body language was a bit different, it was totally hot! She complained that the guys didn't notice her where she was from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships