U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,730,360 times
It's normal to get married wherever you want to get married. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM

650 posts, read 3,750,087 times
We did a destination wedding in Hawaii with just family--we lived in the midwest at the time. I didn't want to plan a huge wedding and also didn't want to deal with his dysfunctional family. It was definitely the right choice--I didn't have to spend months picking out napkin colors and I also only had to deal minimally with his awful, dysfunctional family. It worked well for us.

Also, we're originally from different states and although our family is there, our friends were not in those states--we had friends scattered around the country, but very few in the city where we were living at the time. So for us, a destination wedding location did make the most sense.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:22 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,156,357 times
Personally I think a wedding should be about the people involved and not tradition or what the parents want or what ettiquitte says.

If I am ever crazy enough to marry again, it will be on the beach on Sanibel or Captiva here in Florida. Its my favorite place in the world. I want no more then about 30 people there. No shoes allowed, IF someone will not wear a bathing suit, then a sun dress is acceptable, men bathing suit trunks and a casual type shirt. Sunscreen a must. Casual food, lots of sea shells, candles, Carribean music, dancing, tropical drinks.

I want it to be intimate enough that we can talk and socialize with everyone. I would have disposable cameras all over the place so people can take pictures of the event and collect them afterward.

My wedding cake would be the color of the ocean with seashells and topped off with a mermaid sitting in a large sea shell.

I LOVE the sun, the sound of the ocean breaking on the beach, the feeling of the sand between my toes. There is no better place on earth. Why not get married in a place I love so much.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,241,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Personally I think a wedding should be about the people involved and not tradition or what the parents want or what ettiquitte says.

I LOVE the sun, the sound of the ocean breaking on the beach, the feeling of the sand between my toes. There is no better place on earth. Why not get married in a place I love so much.
I totally agree with you. My first wife and I got married in Vegas. My current wife and I got married less than 2 miles away from our home (married in Studio City California). We thought about getting married at the beach but since we already spent so much time at the beach we didnt feel that it would be that special plus, we had a nice sized wedding (300 guests). We didnt even consider how far anyone would have to drive/fly to attend because the wedding was about US and not anyone else.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 AM

7,105 posts, read 13,442,720 times
I don't think there is any right way, it all depends on the couple, and what they want as a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Is it the norm to get married where you live or where you are from? For example if a couple is originally from say NJ (that is where most of their family and friends are) and they currently live in NY (less friends and family) which place do people normally choose for marriage? I would think if you plan on living in a place long term you would choose that place for sentimental reasons over the place you are from to make it convenient for the guests. Am I correct?
Both states are pretty large. If the couples family is say from North Jersey, and you are within an hour, then I don't really think it matters. The problem you might have is guests that don't want to travel and need to get a hotel room. The other "problem" might be people not being able to afford to travel & get a room plus buy outfits to wear. In this case, everything should be taken into consideration, especially a 1st marriage. If it will stop hard feelings, you adjust

What size wedding are you talking about? My guess is that you posted because you two are trying to figure out the best way to do this. Since the couple is originally from NJ, they might choose to use the church they used to go to, or where the parents go, to make it convenient for everyone.

NY has a lot of nice places to get married. The Brooklyn Botanical gardens are awesome. I know someone from another forum that goes there regularly, you can see his pictures here.The two of you have to decide what is right as a couple, and hopefully you can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
My hubby and I are not the norm by any stretch of the imagination, but we really wanted a peaceful, quiet ceremony with just us (it was a second marriage for both of us, so we felt more free to get married without our entire families being there and the families gave us their blessing to do it anyway we chose, as long as we stay married ). So here's what we did:

We went to Tucson Arizona and spent a week birdwatching in SE Arizona, then we drove up to Sedona Arizona and early the next morning, we went to the local heliport (in our shorts, comfy shirts and hiking boots.) Once there, we met up with a justice of the peace (who we had already sent our self-written vows) and a photographer and a helicopter pilot and we were whisked away over the red rock mesas of Sedona to the base of one of the mesas. There we were married as the sun was rising on a clear, crisp, cool summer day. After the ceremony, the photographer, pilot and justice left us there to enjoy a gourmet breakfast in this beautiful location. Several hours later, the helicopter came back to pick us up and we went on an air tour of Sedona. Later that day, we drove up to the Grand Canyon and enjoyed 5 days in northern Arizona. It was the trip of a lifetime and I'm happy to say we're still happily married 8 years later .
Wow, I bet that was a beautiful day! That's exactly what it's about.. the couple, and only the couple matter. Who needs pictures of people that may not be your friend at some point? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This is what we did. I knew I wanted a rose garden. At the time I had this "friend" that said she was going to be my maid of honor, and after the last time I asked her and she never went dress shopping, nor did she have time in her busy life to help me with flowers, hubby & I decided on Cypress Gardens in FL. Just the two of us.

We did not bring family. We made the day about the two of us and had a blast.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,618,062 times
My fiance and I are planning on getting married overlooking the mountains in Virgina. The location is nothing short of breathtaking. Because of the location, we can only have a very small group (less than 10) at the spot with us, but then we'll have a big reception party / pig roast (which, yes it's going to be a riot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships