Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM

943 posts, read 4,245,889 times

Advertisements

Is it the norm to get married where you live or where you are from? For example if a couple is originally from say NJ (that is where most of their family and friends are) and they currently live in NY (less friends and family) which place do people normally choose for marriage? I would think if you plan on living in a place long term you would choose that place for sentimental reasons over the place you are from to make it convenient for the guests. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM

793 posts, read 2,205,283 times
I think it is the normal for the couple to get married at the bride's location of formal location where her parents are. But it isn't a must. We are all adults and can choose where ever you want. It is something to decide between the 2. Usually you would like to be close to the family to do it and far away from them when going to the honeymoon. my 2 cents

Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM

27,229 posts, read 27,292,917 times
I wouldnt think there would be anything wrong with getting married anywhere you feel like it. Heck, look at how many people go all the way to Vegas, sometimes without even saying anything to anyone. You can do it where ever you want to, shouldnt be a problem.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,968,260 times
My hubby and I are not the norm by any stretch of the imagination, but we really wanted a peaceful, quiet ceremony with just us (it was a second marriage for both of us, so we felt more free to get married without our entire families being there and the families gave us their blessing to do it anyway we chose, as long as we stay married ). So here's what we did:

We went to Tucson Arizona and spent a week birdwatching in SE Arizona, then we drove up to Sedona Arizona and early the next morning, we went to the local heliport (in our shorts, comfy shirts and hiking boots.) Once there, we met up with a justice of the peace (who we had already sent our self-written vows) and a photographer and a helicopter pilot and we were whisked away over the red rock mesas of Sedona to the base of one of the mesas. There we were married as the sun was rising on a clear, crisp, cool summer day. After the ceremony, the photographer, pilot and justice left us there to enjoy a gourmet breakfast in this beautiful location. Several hours later, the helicopter came back to pick us up and we went on an air tour of Sedona. Later that day, we drove up to the Grand Canyon and enjoyed 5 days in northern Arizona. It was the trip of a lifetime and I'm happy to say we're still happily married 8 years later .

So there's the formal way of doing a wedding and the 'anyway you want to do it' way. For our two daughters, I hope they (and their fiances) feel free to get married whatever way they feel most comfortable, either in a traditional way, or a non-traditional way like their non-traditional parents. Or to not marry if that is their choice.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,696,005 times
I tried to get married where we grew up for the sake of elderly parents, grandparents but the long distance thing of putting it all together turned out to be a nightmare. Also, we wanted to get married in a church but because we were not really parishioners at that church, they gave us problems. We gave up and had it where we had lived for many years already. It was so much easier and we had everyone we needed there at the wedding.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:23 PM

788 posts, read 4,058,479 times
I think the norm nowadays is to get married someplace that is really special to you the couple. The wedding should represent your dreams, fantasies, values, etc. My DH and I were married on a beach on Maui, barefoot, at a place very special to us. Most of our close family members were able to join us. It was spiritual, magical, absolutely gorgeous, intimate, incredibly romantic--everything we ever wanted. We had 2 rainbows during our ceremony too! I digress...the point I am trying to make is that our wedding ceremony, location, everything represented us and who we are and what we want out of life. Do that for each other--you deserve it. By the way, there will always be naysayers who don't approve of what, where, and when, but ignore them. It is your wedding, your marriage, your life.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,672 times
My husband is from Boston, and I am from Eastern Europe. We met in Indiana and moving to Fl. Our families and friends are all over the country and world. Where to wed?

We married on the beach in the Mayan Riviera. Why? We love to travel frequently and experience cultures, so this was perfect for us. Only close friends and family were invited, which in our opinions is the best way.

There are no rules or norms anymore, it is your event, your day, your marriage, and your decision.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
I think you should get married where you would like but if you can get married in a place so fewer people will have to travel very far then that is a good thing.

For me personally, I would prefer a small ceremony, with very little formality, on the beach, bathing suits all around etc.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:02 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,633,957 times
Get married where you as a couple decide. I think it is easier to get married where the family is for all parties; but you should choose what makes you both happy!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Get married where you as a couple decide. I think it is easier to get married where the family is for all parties; but you should choose what makes you both happy!
Well another thing is that if you get married near where your family is because there are places for out of town visitors to stay with friends and family so as not to have to pay for accomodation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships