Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times

Advertisements

I have to go to sleep in about twenty minutes, so I guess I'll dig into this post for no other reason than because it was on my way out the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00
And yes its tv, why do people (specificaly men) have such an issue with the show?
Because it glorifies a certain lifestyle. Men who are actually not promiscuous themselves, and who would be looking for a good woman, are not going to appreciate a show which shows women that it's O.K. to sleep around with every guy in the city, and at the end of the day you will still find true love. If there is a woman out there who is perfect for me, and I am perfect for her, it would really bother me if she had shacked up with every bozo who could get an erection. Once you actually start caring for someone, sex (and intimacy, and exclusivity) matters a little bit more. This is one reason guys go to church to find a woman... Not necessarily because they want a religious wife (or even believe that religion themselves), but because they want one that might have been raised with those morals.
Quote:
Because men feel threatened by it. Men are threatened by these successful women who have sex, date, buy what they need for themselves, but at the end of the day, they have each other, not a man. A strong man of course does not feel threatened however.
You have a good point about some men. Those men will always feel threatened by everything vaginal anyway, so let's write them off for now. As for the rest of men, you need them to have physical heterosexual relations, and dates. These women don't only have 'eachother,' there is also the love/sex interests in their lives (which are these men they supposedly don't need). If it was only a show about buying shoes and drinking cosmopolitans, it wouldn't have lasted one season. It's a show about women having sex in the city, and it's portrayed as fairly 'normal' behavior. Why would this bother men? Because, again, they know everyone and their daughter watches this show. It actually left a certain impact on our culture. In a way it created molds or archetypes that younger women growing up could more easily fit into (since the show blew the doors wide open on activity that was already present, if not so prevalent).

Singers such as Alanis Morisette, bringing an angry female voice to the forefront of our culture.. They don't become 'heros' per se, but characters who can easily be emulated. So, what is this activity on this tv show we are emulating? Let's see... Getting banged by this guy, giving this dude a bj (but making him taste his own stuff first), getting railed by this other guy cuz he's cute... It's like the effect that hip-hop music videos have had on our culture. Younger women now dress like total bimbos and you can see 92% of the package before you even get to know them. But then you realize, hell, I might want to find a wife some day. These quasi-bimbos are the girls that I will have to pick from.

So I guess it's negative from the male side, because it's just more deterioration of the image that a lot of guys have for a potential mate, ie a nice girl, hasn't slept around a lot, doesn't dress like a hooker (If you're not in business, don't advertise).
Quote:
If it were men, dating, having sex, etc, men would have no issue. But these are women, and all of a sudden, they are being called whores!? Please.
Most men understand that men who engage in these activities are also 'whores.' Considering the average man in america has something like 9 sexual partners in their whole life, there is a majority of men who either choose not to sleep with 100 women, or don't have that option. I already stated in a previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro
Plenty of shows have been made highlighting the negative qualities of men (and casting them in a positive light)
...And it's true. SATC was groundbreaking because it was, now, women doing the chasing, dating, breaking hearts, whatever. I bet there are quite a few 'good women' out there who would not be too happy with a show which featured four men going out every weekend and trying to nail a bunch of cute chicks. Without googling anything, I bet there are already 1,000 such shows or movies in that vein. What do women think of these? They probably don't applaud them, anymore than men applaud SATC.
Quote:
And there are real life issues and lessons there beyond shoes and sex. If one is deeper, one sees deeper.
The real value of the show, if it has one. It deals with dating scenarios that are, for lack of a better word, believable. It unfolds them. We no longer tell stories or pass down knowledge in our culture, we watch movies and sitcoms to learn life lessons.

SATC takes off all gloves (and clothes) and approaches these very 'today' dating issues. **** buddies, sluttiness, cheating, etc. (Oddly, not many episodes on STD's, which statistically two out of the four characters should have. It touches briefly on chlamydia and crabs I think. There was also not much mention of safe sex, I guess that would be too boring).

To summarize, SATC bothers men because women watching it (especially younger ones) might take the behavior to heart. Our dating bubble can only go downhill from here. Read the thread on "baby daddies/mommas." With frequent, unprotected sex as portrayed on SATC, that is the type of family structure you end up with. The show touched on quite a few issues, but never really dealt with the consequences of a promiscuous lifestyle. If there was more talk of viral STD's which were incurable (and therefore affected their sex lives in a big way), more talk of unwanted pregnancies (they DID speak on this issue, ONCE), one could step back and go "Well. At least there is a lesson to be learned here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Because that show is based on the real experiences of the writer.
Then does it follow that every comedy show in existence must be taken seriously, since the best comedy is based on real experiences?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
And yes its tv, why do people (specificaly men) have such an issue with the show?

Because men feel threatened by it. Men are threatened by these successful women who have sex, date, buy what they need for themselves, but at the end of the day, they have each other, not a man. A strong man of course does not feel threatened however.

ROTFL!

Why would I feel "threatened" about a show about a couple of ugly arse bar-stars who talk about how much they love clothes and penises? So I hate the show, big deal. I hate American Idol too, does that mean that I am "threatened" by a well-dressed 21 year old from Missouri who can do a semi-decent job of singing a Stevie Wonder song?

Want to watch a show about a strong woman?Try "The X-Files". Scully saved Mulder's sorry butt more times than I can count. She was strong, independent and, unlike those bimboes on SATC, she was INTELLIGENT! She was an FBI agent and a medical examiner! Isn't that a much better goal for yound women to be intrested in emulating instead of some extremely loose fashion-victims?

Not only that, but those women defined themselves through sex. Ohh yahh, that's "empowering" Scully? She defined herself the way she, and not society, fashion magazines, and the media in general, wants to. She never gave a rat's arse about clothes and man-chasing and all those other gender-construction things, but was more concerned with saving the world through her work as a agent and scientist.

At the end of the day, Scully had herself, not her girlfriends or her clothes or sexual "adventures". She was a strong woman...and I think that's why she was always a rather odd crush of mine

Star Trek: Voyager, Law and Order, the X-Files, those are shows about strong women...SATC? A docudrama on fashion victims that puts women back about ten decades.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
ROTFL!
Want to watch a show about a strong woman?Try "The X-Files". Scully saved Mulder's sorry butt more times than I can count. She was strong, independent and, unlike those bimboes on SATC, she was INTELLIGENT! She was an FBI agent and a medical examiner! Isn't that a much better goal for yound women to be intrested in emulating instead of some extremely loose fashion-victims?

Not only that, but those women defined themselves through sex. Ohh yahh, that's "empowering" Scully? She defined herself the way she, and not society, fashion magazines, and the media in general, wants to. She never gave a rat's arse about clothes and man-chasing and all those other gender-construction things, but was more concerned with saving the world through her work as a agent and scientist.

At the end of the day, Scully had herself, not her girlfriends or her clothes or sexual "adventures". She was a strong woman...and I think that's why she was always a rather odd crush of mine

Star Trek: Voyager, Law and Order, the X-Files, those are shows about strong women...SATC? A docudrama on fashion victims that puts women back about ten decades.
Yes but then those other shows go to the other end of the spectrum,portaying women as pretty much androgenous...kind of a turnoff also.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yes but then those other shows go to the other end of the spectrum,portaying women as pretty much androgenous...kind of a turnoff also.
Scully was not "androgenous", and neither is that blonde DA on "Law and Order, Special Victims Unit"...heck, I would love to be her "special victim"!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:55 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
my boyfriend and even my DAD enjoy Sex and the City......good stuff. And I'd take a man that watches this show any day over some sci-fi crap!!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
my boyfriend and even my DAD enjoy Sex and the City......good stuff. And I'd take a man that watches this show any day over some sci-fi crap!!
Guys do watch SATC. It doesn't make it 'good stuff,' it just makes it controversial. Plus, everything that has sex on tv is popular, that's hardly a new phenomenon. Desperate Housewives, anyone? People you just need to admit that you watch total garbage, and love it.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

And how the hell can you say "sci-fi crap" as if the whole genre is crap? Ever see "K-Pax" with Kevin Spacey? How about "Phenomenon"?

Not to mention Sex and the City is essentially "chick lit" for television, and chick-lit is horrable makes women out to be nothing more than a bunch of materialistic, over-sexed, shallow people with a higher shoe per capita count than they have IQs, and there are both about as thought provoking as a still photo of Lindsey Lohan drinking a shot of grape Koolaid.

Ever watch "Quantam Leap"? Now THAT was great television. I would take a woman who watches Dr. Becket put the wrong things right over a woman who drooles mindlessly over Samantha's new shoes anyday.

Ohh, and I hate to break it to you, but most men who like SATC only want you as a shopping partner, if you know what I mean

Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Guys do watch SATC. It doesn't make it 'good stuff,' it just makes it controversial. Plus, everything that has sex on tv is popular, that's hardly a new phenomenon. Desperate Housewives, anyone? People you just need to admit that you watch total garbage, and love it.

Good point. Put sex in a show, and mindless people tune in. What is good television is a show without sex that is still entertaining, like Monk or House. No sex, nothing "pushing the envelope" (i.e., shock-value) just good writing, acting, and directing.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Quote:
Because that show is based on the real experiences of the writer.
I realize that but I don't see why people take the show so serious and comment on how the actors look or why they are talking about shoes. I think you missed my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships