U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM

9,924 posts, read 8,926,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Hey you! I keep thinking you're me. We even have very similar views....trippy.

I know how you feel!

I keep coming across your posts and thinking gee that was pretty articulate of me and then I realize it's one of yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,917,921 times
Just a thought here...

I used to change cars like most people change their socks. I always wanted a new toy, so I'd go for a fancy sports car with beautiful paint, shiny wheels, a sexy leather interior and all the bells and whistles. They were hot and sexy! They drew stares of envy from every guy on the road! My ego was eating it all up.

MANY were the times those cars would leave me stranded, or would require maintenance that was financially out of this world. One car required an $800 visit to a specially-trained factory mechanic just to change the belts! They weren't really comfortable for long trips, either - just for an occasional night on the town. They weren't really good on storage space or passenger room - heck, most had just two seats! How self-centered!

When it came time to move on, there'd be no shortage of willing men lining up to be the next. Looks alone guaranteed that.

Then I started going in the opposite direction and buying what I guess you could call "stealth" vehicles...these were ugly as sin, rusty, dented and dinged...usually pretty old...but they had a core that was fantastic! I'd look for cars that had strong, healthy engines...lots of storage and passenger space...ran well...low maintenance...

It turns out I had MORE fun and much longer, deeper "relationships" with these cars than the sexy sports cars. They were far more dependable; I could introduce them to my family and friends without asking them to bend in half like a pretzel; they were trusted to take me where I wanted to go without too many complaints. They were happy with the simple things in life - plain-Jane oil, plugs, even the gasoline was cheaper - no need for the high-end stuff.

Yet when I asked them to, they could provide enough power to overtake many of the sexy little gals on the street. They had hidden reserves - they didn't need to show off, because they KNEW what they had.

I just had to mature enough to realize how special that really was. Now, I still glance at the occasional little 2-seater, and might even fantasize for a moment or two - but I'd never get rid of my big, old, ugly dames.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I agree that looks matter less and less as you go into a relationship. I just feel there needs to be that initial spark, some of which comes from an initial physical attraction.

People tend to emphasize their best qualities. A really fit person will probably seek out other really fit people, not just because of common interests but also because fitness is something they really value.

Whenever I see an ugly guy with a really physically attractive girl I think that either he has a great personality (which often leads to wealth, though not necessarily in the case of say a teacher but certainly in sales) or he has physical features that are hidden by his clothes.

For those who say looks don't matter, how physically attractive do you consider yourself?

Girls always call each other cute, but guys usually call a woman pretty or beautiful when they find them attractive.

"Even ugly babies are cute" is a funny phrase I sometimes use when my female friends try to hook me up with one of their friends and describe them as "cute." Cute is more of how one carries themselves. A physically unattractive person with the right clothes and the right attitude (presentation) can be cute.

I consider twin women (sisters or just friends) wearing matching outfits cute regardless of whether or not I am attracted to their physical features.
I think you're underestimating or misinterpreting the initial "spark".

They've done studies on it. Lot of the time it has to do with pheremones (sp?) or even a shared experience, a moment, a word, a smile, kismet. You have that moment and then your eyes take in the physical attributes of the person before you and your brain interprets their attractiveness based on the "spark". How many times have you seen a "stunner" and seconds later noticed something not quite right to your eye? Reckon that'll be your brain seeking out what you think is attractive only to find that the "spark" or connection, even the pheremones aren't right.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 10,698,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Hey you! I keep thinking you're me. We even have very similar views....trippy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I know how you feel!

I keep coming across your posts and thinking gee that was pretty articulate of me and then I realize it's one of yours!
Have we exceeded the limit of moons that are allowed to post in a thread?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
There's no such thing as too many moons.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,096,735 times
Quote:

No.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
No.

OH! MY! GOD!! That looks awesome!!!!

Guess I've slipped up on the being attracted because of looks!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,917,921 times
LOL! Perkins!

"It's 3am...you're stoned...no place else is open..."

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,339,251 times
Quote:
We're the gemini of moons, and FYI I have a feeling moonshadow is pretty hot.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

5,108 posts, read 7,748,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
They had hidden reserves - they didn't need to show off, because they KNEW what they had. I just had to mature enough to realize how special that really was.
ooooooooh I LOVE this! Right there also is the definition of true power (it is quiet and does not need to show off) as well as the difference between vanity and self-confidence, between arrogance and poise, between ego and character.

Tried to give you rep SifuPhil but gotta wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships