Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post

Which era are you living in ?
The same one you are.

There were about 7,000 hate crimes in the U.S. last year.
An increasing number were related to sexual orientation, but the majority continue to be racially motivated.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
White, black, chinese, or muther f**king alien; if the chick is hot I'll date her (well, at least attempt to).

I am baffled as to why you would think that inter racial couples would not be happy? Are they being forced to be together?
You might change your opinion once you attempt to have a serious, long-term relationship with someone from a different culture.

At first, the attraction factor is enough to overcome the minor differences that crop up when you only see each other a few days a week to go out on dates or what have you.

Then, as the relationship progresses, you start to see the deep cultural differences between the two of you. Things you take for granted, a person from a different culture may question. It requires a very easygoing attitude and a very open mind to deal with the questioning of core beliefs (and even minor things) that you never even knew you had, and realize that your way of doing things is not necessarily the "best", "smartest", or "right" way.

Then, as you think about making the relationship permanent, you have to deal with the prejudices of your two families. There's no escaping where you came from, even if you elope, you now have to deal with the stress of forsaking your family for your SO.

That said, I believe that people of different cultures who forge a strong relationship despite their differences and the difficulties they face are happier than those of a common culture. Because the simple act of being together and learing to live with their differences does take effort and dedication, I believe that these couples have a stronger bond in general. They constantly see the evidence of their love in everyday life, they form a cultural fusion which incorporates the best of both worlds, and they are better able to come together against any adversity that they might be faced with in the future.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times
Ok, I'm not trying to generalize. I'm black who finds some white girls attractive. I was chatting with some guys and one dude said "A white girl is black man's ticket to jail when she lies to the cops and shout rape". Does anyone believe that? Is that really true?

For the most part, if black men and white women are married interracially, would white women betray their black husbands even if he was a good man for her?

PS: You can tell I'm antisocial who listens too much and watch too many YouTube videos on interracial relationships.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 AM

335 posts, read 1,028,980 times
I personally have never experienced any issues when dating others from a different background.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Let's start this out with: I am white.

I have been in several interracial relationships. I dated a black woman for a couple months, but her friends and parents had a hard time with the relationship. Growing up in the intercity, I understood and participated in a lot of the cultural things that blacks do (sounds stupid, but there are differences, trust me). So, there were a lot of commonalities between her and I. The reason the relationship failed was because she was honest and said that the pressure she was receiving from her family and friends was too much. Not that I liked the reason, but I appreciated her being up front with it. I also found her being approached by a lot of black men when we were out together (say at a club) asking her to dance, but looking right at me. But, I was secure with her, and trusted her to either dance or not dance with them.

My first wife was Asian. We were married for 14 years. We had 3 wonderful kids (one was hers from a previous and I adopted him, 2 were hers and mine). The relationship didn't last because of how we grew apart. Nothing racial, nothing cultural - just grew apart as people do.

I am currently married to a white woman. I am happy in the relationship. I can't say any more or less happy than I was in the other ones. Just happy.

Bottom line for me is I don't care the color of your skin. It depends on who you are as a person (qualities I look for in any woman regardless of race/age), and how you treat me and my family. I assume it would be the same for most women (although I know there are many that wouldn't date outside their race).

Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 PM

18 posts, read 47,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKruis View Post
Hypothesis: Are people in interracial relationships as happy as people in same race relationships?
From experience, I dated my ex-boyfriend for 7 years. He is black and I'm mexican. I have more than plenty of beautiful experiences and memories and was happy, in love, and we were supportive of each other. Ufortunately the relationship ended because he wasn't ready for the next step.

It IS POSSIBLE to be HAPPY even though they are not the same race as you. Some things will raise concern such as the children's religious beliefs or how they will be raised but anything is possible as long as an agreement is made.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Superficially, yes.
Deep down, I doubt it.
Interracial/intercultural relationships being right now the "in" thing in the Western countries (and notice it in the Western countries only), these couples tend to hide the difficulties they might have, and show a smooth picture to society, but it's too good to be true, they have of course the same difficulties as other couples, only aggravated by the cultural differences, that get accented not diminished with time passing, each one getting older remembering more his/her roots ....

Old 09-25-2008, 02:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Superficially, yes.
Deep down, I doubt it.
Interracial/intercultural relationships being right now the "in" thing in the Western countries (and notice it in the Western countries only), these couples tend to hide the difficulties they might have, and show a smooth picture to society, but it's too good to be true, they have of course the same difficulties as other couples, only aggravated by the cultural differences, that get accented not diminished with time passing, each one getting older remembering more his/her roots ....
I dnt know if its the in thing. Interacial coupling has been going on for ages. Just it was a lot less acceptable in those days and only few brave people like the loves would go ahead with it( and eventually get jailed for it)

I also dont think it's limited to western countries. Ive seen an increasing trend with it being popular in non western countries recently. I think people are beginning to clock on that love is hard to find, why limit yourself when you have a whole world( literally!) of opportunity out there.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
In our day and age the divorce rate is very high, though we can't measure happiness maybe you can measure if the divorce rate is higher in interracial relationships or not. That might be a good indicator of so-called "happiness".
Interesting you should say that. We did a little experiment once, although the test group was limited to the people we knew and found out that the people in interracial/intercultural relationships had an outwardly happier and often longer relationship/marriage. We put it down to the fact that they had to work harder at it than same race couples.

I think sometimes in same race coupling, one might be tempted to take it for granted as there aren't the same difficulties that an intecultural couple might face.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,098 times
i love my future husband and basically we live across great big seas and halfway around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships