Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I still love my first cousin - we grew up living close by - he moved away and I haven't seen him for years. But I still think about him most days. I know he is married. I am married too. But I feel as though he was my soul mate and I just miss him so much!

He did try to contact me in 2003, but I messed up. I believe he has feelings for me still, but I dare not make any moves on him and he probably feels the same way. One - we're both married with kids, Two - we're first cousins and people dissaprove. Three - we are both too scared to do anything (lol).
Doesn't matter what you feel. You're both married with kids. There's way too much potential fallout if that is ever acted upon. I hate to say it but if the two of you felt so strongly about each other, why didn't you guys just say screw it, we love each other then move to a place where no one would ever have to know you're related? These things happen much more than you think and it's not always rednecks out in the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
ok so treat him like your brother. you are family and you should not undermine that familial bond because you yearn. on top of that he and you are married. be best friends, best cuzo's, best brother and sister or whatever. but dont take it to the next level. enjoy each other for who you are, FAMILY!!!

one of my cousins is my best friends, like a sibling, that dont mean i want to lay them.
think clearly please.

now if this was a long lost cousinz that you recently met and fell in love with and neither had kids and both of you were terminal, then OK why not.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Though it is generally taboo in the U.S., first cousins have been marrying in most cultures for centuries. It is common around the world.

That said, the OP should definitely NOT pursue their fantasies about a relationship. They are both married and have families to consider. His/her thoughts are dangerously irresponsible and immature.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Rent the movie "Cousin, cousine" (1975) directed by Jean Charles Tacchella.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,986 times
My understanding is that the taboo comes from the risk of genetic malformations due to have too much genetic similarity.

I should know, I used to live in West Virginia

Old 05-15-2008, 10:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millymoll View Post
I still love my first cousin - we grew up living close by - he moved away and I haven't seen him for years. But I still think about him most days. I know he is married. I am married too. But I feel as though he was my soul mate and I just miss him so much!

He did try to contact me in 2003, but I messed up. I believe he has feelings for me still, but I dare not make any moves on him and he probably feels the same way. One - we're both married with kids, Two - we're first cousins and people dissaprove. Three - we are both too scared to do anything (lol).

But I do miss him.....why can't I forget him.....
Eh, cousins... haven't had time to get to them... Yeah, there is a stigma to it. I had a cousin of a similar age (5 years older) who I didn't see often, but still often enough to feel he was like the brother I never had. It certainly was fun visiting him, hanging out with his friends and all. At times, though, I did have the feeling he wasn't looking at me as a sister... He isn't attractive to me, so I didn't have any such problems. In any event, this part of the post is totally innocent (JerZ, please take notes! )!

Now, at the above-mentioned cousin's wedding I met a "cousin" (1 1/2 - first cousin of my Dad) I'd never seen before. Anybody think he did or should've felt like a relative to me...?! I had an enormous crush on him! I was 17, he was 37. He worked night shift at a very exciting place. I spent one night with him while he was working. This had to be one of the most exciting nights of my life! Considering the detail he was a relative... considering I was 17 and a virgin... and considering his brains were working better than mine... nothing happened, absolutely nothing! That's not the end of the story, though... Eventually, many years later, it did happen. To be honest, wish it hadn't... It wasn't good at all and kinda tainted my previous magical night a bit. Hadn't seen him after that. Finally he ended up in the US for a while, too, but we never got to meet. Later on he passed away. However, I still remember that night, the first one. Don't really have regrets for the later development, but ideally should've left it at that.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Eh, cousins... haven't had time to get to them... Yeah, there is a stigma to it. I had a cousin of a similar age (5 years older) who I didn't see often, but still often enough to feel he was like the brother I never had. It certainly was fun visiting him, hanging out with his friends and all. At times, though, I did have the feeling he wasn't looking at me as a sister... He isn't attractive to me, so I didn't have any such problems. In any event, this part of the post is totally innocent (JerZ, please take notes! )!
Oh suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure...

(ducking)

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 AM

i'd do a far removed cousin. met them for the first time, in the old country.. sure why not.

ok, even i cant tell if im being serious or not...

anyhow take away the cousin part and you are still married and that could possibly be the smallest regret...

good perspective sierra

Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i'd do a far removed cousin. met them for the first time, in the old country.. sure why not.

ok, even i cant tell if im being serious or not...

anyhow take away the cousin part and you are still married and that could possibly be the smallest regret...

good perspective sierra
Not sure if you were addressing me, but nobody was married at both occasions.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

oh no, i was reffering to the OP. she said she was married, as was her cousin.

i had never considered the whole Regret factor. most of the posters spoke about cousin humping being taboo and what not, but you brought in the perspective of possible regret.

thats a great perspective. the fact that she is cheating could possibly be the smallest of her regrets. just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships