Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:20 AM

574 posts, read 376,948 times

Advertisements

I am a widower and its been 15 months now. I tried dating early on and I was not even close to ready. The emptyness and the sorrow has actually gotten much worse as time has gone by. The few women I met several months ago both had deal breakers. Fortunately I was out of their lives very quickly. And I have not even tried dating since. I want to love again, I need that in my life, but I am too much of a mess emotionally to even try.

At the rate I am going, I think I will still be a mess at 2 years. Your boyfriend sounds sort of like a relapse? Is that the term? He may have had a moment and thought deeply about where he is in life and where he thought he might be going and maybe he got scared or panicked? Or maybe he discovered a deal breaker?

Depression is a real bummer. It dominates your life. I just got a prescription to happy pills and they might be making it worse. Unfortunately, your boyfriend is giving widowers a bad name. Do you really want him back now that you have learned he is a bit of a mess? Do you really want to deal with the moodiness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
8 year old thread needs to be locked and buried

Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I am a widower and its been 15 months now. I tried dating early on and I was not even close to ready. The emptyness and the sorrow has actually gotten much worse as time has gone by. The few women I met several months ago both had deal breakers. Fortunately I was out of their lives very quickly. And I have not even tried dating since. I want to love again, I need that in my life, but I am too much of a mess emotionally to even try.

At the rate I am going, I think I will still be a mess at 2 years. Your boyfriend sounds sort of like a relapse? Is that the term? He may have had a moment and thought deeply about where he is in life and where he thought he might be going and maybe he got scared or panicked? Or maybe he discovered a deal breaker?

Depression is a real bummer. It dominates your life. I just got a prescription to happy pills and they might be making it worse. Unfortunately, your boyfriend is giving widowers a bad name. Do you really want him back now that you have learned he is a bit of a mess? Do you really want to deal with the moodiness?
Thank you for expressing this from the widower's point of view, it helps me better understand. Each day I am getting stronger and I have decided if he was to ever "come back" that I cant deal with this again. It's too much of an emotional roller coaster and I can't live my life waiting for the next trigger that may throw him into a depressed black hole where he starts to mistreat me again. In fact, I just don't think I'd ever date another widower again.

I understand grief all too well, as I am grieving myself. However, my grief is due to the tragic loss of my brother and not a spouse. So, I was very understanding when it came to his grief. However, I just didn't expect to be mistreated in the process.

Although I am also grieving the loss of a sibling, it is a separate dating issue for me. I view my grief and dating as two separate things. However, with him grieving the death of a spouse, it relates directly to him attempting to date again and it's not a separate issue.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 AM

314 posts, read 439,844 times
Spicynurse, it sounds like your ex BF missed that closeness with a partner and was rushing to get back to that state of a relationship. It moved along at a pace you didn't feel comfortable with and he should've recognized it and "slowed his roll" lol Depression is a B and I can tell you first hand that because I dealt with it. I was engaged to be married and a couple months before the wedding my fiancé was killed in an accident. it was a day after her 37th birthday and she will be gone four years this May.

I live far away from what little family I have and not really too many friends here so I had to go through this alone. I tried therapy but I just got more and more upset. Depression set in and many nights I cried myself asleep. Yeah, I'm 6' tall, a very muscular with tats and ride a Harley but I am also an educated aerospace engineer too lol go figure... anyhow, I loved her deeply and I only wanted her things gone from my house because just when I thought I made progress with my mourning, I would see a jacket, or a piece of jewelry or something and it would spin me out of control and I felt like I lost all the ground I gained.
Each person is different and like I said, this May will be four years since my fiancé passed in an accident and I can honestly say now when I think of her I smile and KNOW that I am a better person because she was in my life. I no longer think of her and get sad or cry. I feel I am 100% good to go and be in another relationship, it just hasn't happened yet. I am happy now and smiling and maybe some day I will meet my last love, who knows!

For the record, I had plenty of opportunities these past four years to date but I just could not do it knowing I was not 100% mentally fit in my book. This is why I say you need to distance yourself from him. Wish him well and move on.

Last edited by MichaelBC; 02-20-2018 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: because I'm a guy and I had more to say

Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
When was the 1st time you were ever invited to his home where you saw the photos?You should have ended the relationship then after being to his home.He is only making an excuse about having the photos up in his home like that an dof course hiding behind his kids.He is only looking to have some woman be there for his kids.He had no right to be on a dating site UNLESS he was ready to truly date someone and the fact that he STILL has photos of his dead wife all over the house...well that there shows that he's NOT ready for anything.Think about it..he has SMALL kids so he's looking for someone to help out with those kids...that's not cool.
You should have left him once you went to his home.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
When was the 1st time you were ever invited to his home where you saw the photos?You should have ended the relationship then after being to his home.He is only making an excuse about having the photos up in his home like that an dof course hiding behind his kids.He is only looking to have some woman be there for his kids.He had no right to be on a dating site UNLESS he was ready to truly date someone and the fact that he STILL has photos of his dead wife all over the house...well that there shows that he's NOT ready for anything.Think about it..he has SMALL kids so he's looking for someone to help out with those kids...that's not cool.
You should have left him once you went to his home.

My ex thought the same way, that pics on the wall of my late husband was some kind of memorial.

Nope, it was a project (hallway picture wall) I was in the middle of (I'm an amateur photographer with millions of pics and editing software - analysis paralysis) and when my husband passed away it was no longer a priority. Two years later still wasn't, some were still empty slots for pics. My ex told my friend that showed I hadn't moved on. What it showed was I was rarely home, and when I was I had other stuff that demanded my attention.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My ex thought the same way, that pics on the wall of my late husband was some kind of memorial.

Nope, it was a project (hallway picture wall) I was in the middle of (I'm an amateur photographer with millions of pics and editing software - analysis paralysis) and when my husband passed away it was no longer a priority. Two years later still wasn't, some were still empty slots for pics. My ex told my friend that showed I hadn't moved on. What it showed was I was rarely home, and when I was I had other stuff that demanded my attention.
Ya know, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that just because I brought someone to my house a few times, I am supposed to have all pictures of my deceased spouse removed. In fact, if I had small children with them, or even big ones tbh, I'm not sure I would ever clear them completely from my home.

It could be me, but that just doesn't seem to be a reasonable expectation...

Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Ya know, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that just because I brought someone to my house a few times, I am supposed to have all pictures of my deceased spouse removed. In fact, if I had small children with them, or even big ones tbh, I'm not sure I would ever clear them completely from my home.

It could be me, but that just doesn't seem to be a reasonable expectation...

I don't think it is, especially with children as you mention.

I'm remarried, and I have a pic of my late husband up along with everyone else. My current husband specifically requested it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think it is, especially with children as you mention.

I'm remarried, and I have a pic of my late husband up along with everyone else. My current husband specifically requested it.
Awesome, thanks! He sounds like a great guy.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 PM

574 posts, read 376,948 times
It makes me sad when people say they will not date a widower again. But I understand the reasoning. As widows and widowers we have to restrain ourselves from the drama and the comparisons to the departed. Maybe some are not able to see things in the proper focus. Maybe we have unreachable expectations. I have realized I am not ready to have another in my life. I cannot get thru most days without deep emotions and crying. And it scares me greatly. I am very afraid of growing older alone. I am afraid of being alone. And at the same time I know loneliness should not be the great motivator to finding another mate. If that is all its for, it has no chance of working out.

I know I am still not ready. And I don't feel like I have gotten any more used to this new life or gotten any better emotionally than I was a year ago. And at this age, it is worrying as I wonder if I will be much too old before I am able to try again. I think I sometimes feel guilty even thinking about another woman. Yes, I am a real mess and a widower that should be avoided. And its not a pleasant thing to acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships