Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Just curious, why did you meet his family if you don't want to be emotionally attached? Or am I missing something here?
It just kind of happened...then he told me he just doesn't introduce his family to every girl he dates...so I"m feeling a bit special over that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Honestly I think you should keep it fun and sexual.

You have kids 12 and 10 and a 23yo is going to be step daddy?It could be some melding of soul mates,but I think it is more novelty for right now.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Honestly I think you should keep it fun and sexual.

You have kids 12 and 10 and a 23yo is going to be step daddy?It could be some melding of soul mates,but I think it is more novelty for right now.

My kids live out of state, will be coming to visit in July...I'll deal with that when the time comes...

I was trying to keep it light, he keeps wanting to have serious talks

Old 05-21-2008, 02:36 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I was trying to keep it light, he keeps wanting to have serious talks
With all due respect...

...sounds like it's time to defecate or get off the porcelain appliance.

He told you what HE wants/expects/needs in the future; did you tell him what YOU want? Maybe that's the crux of the problem - you're not sure?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
With all due respect...

...sounds like it's time to defecate or get off the porcelain appliance.

He told you what HE wants/expects/needs in the future; did you tell him what YOU want? Maybe that's the crux of the problem - you're not sure?
Well, I thought it was too soon to say I want to get married.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
You do? Really?!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Why? No time like the present, right?

...or are you just pulling our collective legs?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Why? No time like the present, right?

...or are you just pulling our collective legs?
I think we might be moving in that direction. My one friend used my phone, a call came in last night, he answered and said, no this is C, t's boyfriend.....now just over the weekend he freaked out when I inadvertantly used that term when I introduced him to one of my friends...go figure how things change in days?

He had asked me if I was interested in getting married again...I wasn't sure if he was alluding to our situation or me in general...

You're right, no time like the present, maybe we should hop a plane to vegas and do it style by a preacher dressed like elvis?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I think we might be moving in that direction.

Good for you!

Quote:
..go figure how things change in days?
Heh - days, hours, minutes...

Quote:
You're right, no time like the present, maybe we should hop a plane to vegas and do it style by a preacher dressed like elvis?
LOL - cool - go for it, I say! And post pictures of the blushing bride, the smiling groom and, of course, The King.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,602 times
Quote:
I think we might be moving in that direction. My one friend used my phone, a call came in last night, he answered and said, no this is C, t's boyfriend.....now just over the weekend he freaked out when I inadvertantly used that term when I introduced him to one of my friends...go figure how things change in days?

He had asked me if I was interested in getting married again...I wasn't sure if he was alluding to our situation or me in general...

Ya know, if you're in love with this guy and you're happy, heaven knows I'm happy for you. But are you CERTAIN that this is going to work out in the long term? This dude is 23 years your junior. When you're 80 years old, he's going to be 57. Plenty of men are still very active at 57, and my best guess is that there ain't many 80-year-olds (male or female) who can keep up with such men.

It's so easy to be short-sighted in your early 20s. My brother is 24 and he's the poster child for short-sighted. I can look back to five years ago and see how I was still shockingly short-sighted at 23 even though I tried not to be.

He will say what he wants to say right now but it would take him being one in a zillion for him not to wake up on the morning of your 70th birthday when he's still a healthy and active 47-year-old man and think "oh my God, my wife is SEVENTY FREAKING YEARS OLD today!"

In order for him NOT to become a widower later on in life, assuming he reaches the average male life expectancy of 74 years old or whatever it is for Americans these days, you'll have to make it to 97. That's not impossible, but few people see that age. If he goes through a mid-life crisis in his late 30s or early 40s, like all too many men do, you're going to be left in the lurch in your 60s and then what happens? Enough wives have been hurt in their 30s and 40s when Hubby-poo has his midlife crisis and runs off with a 21-year-old he met in a bar... if 30-something and 40-something wives are not young enough for such a dude, how would a 60-something wife be young enough?

I'm not trying to discourage you... I'm hoping to help you avoid getting hurt. In my family there are no relationships with gigantic age differences where the woman is the older one... but there's one in particular that I'm thinking about right now where the man was older by 15 years. They got together quite late in life... he was in his early 70s and she was in her late 50s... he still had a decent amount of energy at that age but then I heard that when he hit 80, it was like all of a sudden his flame was extinguished and he became just like a normal "old man". His 65-year-old wife still wanted to do things, but she couldn't get her ancient husband to run around with her like she used to. Even that 15-year gap became a big issue later on. (I don't know how they're doing now.)

How long do you really think this young man is going to be able to deal with the fact that you're 23 years older than he is? I mean, that's kind of like my mother-in-law compared to me... she just turned 53 and I'm going to be 29 in January... we're in two totally different phases of life! She's ANCIENT compared to me, in age, mentality, stage of life, yadda yadda yadda... as I'll be ancient in my 50s compared to any other 20-somethings I encounter.

If you have the money to do so, I might encourage you to get a good picture of yourself age-progressed by a professional forensic artist. Then, show your boyfriend what you're going to look like at 75 or whatever... and see what he says. (It'd be even more interesting if you get HIS picture age-progressed to something like 52, so you can put the two of you side-by-side and see what you'll look like later on.) By the time a woman is 46, she should only be willing to get involved with men who are fully prepared to accept what she will look like at all stages in her life. If your boyfriend doesn't think that he could believe in your later physical beauty enough that he could stand up in front of lots of people when you're a wrinkly 70-something-year-old and tell them that he thinks you're more beautiful now than you were when he first married you (like I once witnessed in church... of course, the husband was in his 70s too)... then you have to let him go. He could be just a BOY, for crying out loud. He's younger than my brother... and my brother is definitely a boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships