Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
A 22-year-old taking a 13-year-old out is not rape, and the 22-year-old could not be arrested for anything if there was no sexual contact. If he didn't know she was 13, and all they did was go out on a date, oh well. He might feel weird later for knowing that he'd taken out a 13-year-old, but there wouldn't have been any risk that he'd be hit with criminal charges.

Stands to reason, then, that the only reason why the dude was subjected to criminal charges was because he had sex with her.

I never asked for proof of any girl's age. I didn't have to. They check that stuff at the courthouse when you apply for a marriage license, even if you're too dumb to figure out what your significant other's age is beforehand. If you play by THE RULES and don't have sex before marriage, you will never risk getting into any such situation. The absolute worst that could happen is that you find out, while applying for a marriage license, that your beloved is much younger than you originally thought... and you either have to get parental permission or patience.

So, the guys never had criminal charges on their records before. Although I do believe that the girl and her parents had fault in this situation, the two guys weren't playing by THE RULES. When you don't play by the rules, often there are consequences.

Some of y'all may want to rip me apart again for my stance on premarital sex. If those two dudes had had MY stance rather than yours/theirs, they wouldn't be in jail now, they wouldn't have "statutory rape" on their criminal records, and their lives wouldn't be permanently ruined as a result. Just remember... against doing the right thing, there is no law.
An adult alone in a room with an under aged person of the opposite sex, even if they never got within ten feet of each other, is technically statutory rape. There need not be any contact, sexual or not..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Wow... really bad experience with men, I'm gonna take it. Thanks for lumping me in the entire male population and pre-labeling me a pedophile. I really appreciate it. It's not bad enough my son's mother can go on an overnighter with my son for cub-scouts, but I can't do the same with my daughter for girl scouts (you know.. we're all perverts).

I do agree that any man online that takes it at face value that anyone who says "my age is" ought to take it with a grain of salt... and any person stupid enough to try to meet underage girls online gets what they deserve.

I met my current wife online. I told her I was 38 (which I was) and she told me she was 33 (which she was). Since it was all over the internet, how was I supposed to know? Have her send me a pic (not that people never send pics of other people over the internet, right?)? Had to meet in person at some time. How else are people to know (men or women)?.

Get off the man bashing, please. "Men" don't troll the internet looking for underage girls... pedophiles do.
A bit touchy on this subject? Been accused of something, I'm gonna take it.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
In the picture, the girl looks very young to me. Certainly not 19 and divorced.

I know that some children are mature and act mature. But I would think that any 22 year old with half a brain could figure out just talking to someone that they are still young.
I was referring to the other pictures that she had on her MySpace page prior to them being finally taken down.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
An adult alone in a room with an under aged person of the opposite sex, even if they never got within ten feet of each other, is technically statutory rape. There need not be any contact, sexual or not..!
This can only occur to sick minds. It always takes one to know one...

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Quote:

Wow I guess that I am "Technically staturorially" raping my sons, and Nephews who are all under 18 because I am in the room (sometimes even home) alone with them.

What about the teacher staying after school with a student on detention? Is that also considered statutory rape?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
This is true, even if it's not. One can be accused of having sex with a minor, simply because they were alone in a room with them. There is a chance that they might go to prison for it too, in today's society where truth doesn't matter, only the quality of the lawyer. This is why business men (and women, to an extent) must learn to never be alone with someone in a room, especially if they are a minor. Someone of the opposite sex could say they tried to rape them, and if there are no other witnesses, it's one person's word against another. An adult male, left alone in a room with an underage girl for ten minutes, could be accused of touching her inappropriately, and if the girl was a good actor, he might possibly go to jail. So while I agree that it is a little bit rediculous, good policy is to always have a friend or other person with you in situations such as this, and when it comes to two adults of opposite sex (think Disclosure by Michael Crichton), there should always be a neutral third party in the room or someone that you trust. That way if accusations are brought up, the third party can attest that nothing wrong happened.

Basically because of over-litigious society nowadays, one can literally never be too careful. If you can afford it, it's better to simply have your lawyer walk around with you

Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
always ask to see a license.

From the photo she looks like she could be underage. In my opinion she could pass for 15 on up to 18. The guy should have been ultra cautious about that. Ask for real proof of age such as a license.

I think the girls and the parents are real irresponsible, as well as the guy who was sent to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
In a recent story in Orange county Florida, two men (on separate occasions) were sent to jail because a young girl chose to lie about her age on Myspace. Do you think this was fair? Especially since this girl has apparently done it before, don't you believe that both her and her parents should face charges on the second event?
According to the law, the men were guilty and it was their fault for being ignorant. When will the law punish children and their families (if the family was aware of what had transpired and did nothing to stop it). I believe that eventually this girl will get what she's asking for in the most horrific way.
Now my question to you is this, how many of you actually ask for proof of age?

Alisha Dean Doesn't Look - Or Act - 13 - The Dreamin' Demon

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-22-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
That is disgusting. What is with these guys being interested in under age kids. You can tell the difference between a junior high kid and an adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
A 22-year-old taking a 13-year-old out is not rape, and the 22-year-old could not be arrested for anything if there was no sexual contact. If he didn't know she was 13, and all they did was go out on a date, oh well. He might feel weird later for knowing that he'd taken out a 13-year-old, but there wouldn't have been any risk that he'd be hit with criminal charges.

Stands to reason, then, that the only reason why the dude was subjected to criminal charges was because he had sex with her.

I never asked for proof of any girl's age. I didn't have to. They check that stuff at the courthouse when you apply for a marriage license, even if you're too dumb to figure out what your significant other's age is beforehand. If you play by THE RULES and don't have sex before marriage, you will never risk getting into any such situation. The absolute worst that could happen is that you find out, while applying for a marriage license, that your beloved is much younger than you originally thought... and you either have to get parental permission or patience.

So, the guys never had criminal charges on their records before. Although I do believe that the girl and her parents had fault in this situation, the two guys weren't playing by THE RULES. When you don't play by the rules, often there are consequences.

Some of y'all may want to rip me apart again for my stance on premarital sex. If those two dudes had had MY stance rather than yours/theirs, they wouldn't be in jail now, they wouldn't have "statutory rape" on their criminal records, and their lives wouldn't be permanently ruined as a result. Just remember... against doing the right thing, there is no law.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Chi, you're right on. It's sad the way America works these days.

Donn, I'm not positive that you're wrong, but it seems unlikely that what you're saying is entirely true. Where is it written in any law book that statutory rape has taken place when an adult male is in a room alone with an underage female?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I have a little different point of view here. My daughter posted on her MySpace that she was 18. When I initially found out I was furious. I demanded to know why she was doing it and, of course, assumed she did it to find guys that were older. I was so embarassed when she said: "Dad, you told me there's lots of bad guys out there just looking for young girls online. I figured that if I said I was 18, they would overlook my site. You can check and see who's visited my site, it's only my girl friends."

Sometimes they do listen.
Or she really has you fooled.

But really, I wonder how many girls actually use Myspace to find dates. I never knew that's what it was used for until I started seeing articles similar to this one. I've had it since I was 15 (back before Facebook allowed high school students) and used it as a way to keep track of all of my friends- especially when they moved, graduated, or lived far away to start. So, just because your kids have Myspace doesn't mean they are sex fiends looking to get laid. Chances are, they can do that without internet access. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships