U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 10,701 times

Advertisements

How frequent should spouses married for 15 years have relations?

My wife and I are very infrequent in this capacity. Over the past several years it has been once every 2 months. Now it is once every 3 months. She is 38 years old and we have good commuication. When discussed the answer is "just not feeling it". I know that at times during the day she is feeling it because she makes use of her so called battery operated aids.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM

681 posts, read 2,496,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapatec View Post
How frequent should spouses married for 15 years have relations?

My wife and I are very infrequent in this capacity. Over the past several years it has been once every 2 months. Now it is once every 3 months. She is 38 years old and we have good commuication. When discussed the answer is "just not feeling it". I know that at times during the day she is feeling it because she makes use of her so called battery operated aids.

Any thoughts?
I read an article once about a couple in their 70s, married for over 50 years, where they still average doing it three times per week and it is "consensual", as in they BOTH want it... not "only HE wants it".

Old 05-22-2008, 07:29 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,795,714 times
It's really going to depend who you ask on here. I'm 37 and my husband is 44. I'm gonna say at the absolute minimum 3 times a week, and that's only because he travels each week, otherwise it might be more

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,157,198 times
Heck. We've been married 17 years, and it's at least times a week. Sometimes 2-3 times a night.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 AM

180 posts, read 549,410 times
its not just the 30's somethings, i am in my late 20's and my husband is 23 and we might have sex 2 times a month. he has a very hectic work schedule and we have 2 kids under age 2. most of the time when he is home i am just too damn tired.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM

2,412 posts, read 4,385,365 times
Sexual urges..just not with you..VERY BAD SIGN

Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 AM

12,354 posts, read 13,064,926 times
totally depends on the people. Some individuals have a higher appetite for relations more often, some individuals are satisfied with less frequency, regardless of how long they have been in relationship.

We were doing it 4 times a week when we got married, and still doing it 4 times a week when we divorced 12 years later including having 3 kids in 2 years. However I have known people who are happy with a few times a month. And I have known couples in happy long term relationships without any sexual relations going on.

Please don't measure or judge yourself against what others do, as they are all over the map. All that matters is you and your relationship and how satisfying or not things are between you two. Saying "others do this" is a dangerous territory like a swamp to get sucked in to.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:34 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,836,597 times
Depends what's going on in the rest of your life - child-rearing takes a lot out of you; advancing your career leaves you burned out; paying the bills with non-existent money kind of kills the mood; problems with family and friends takes up a lot of time.

Diet - if you're eating the wrong foods for your bodies, you'll have neither the energy nor the desire.

There's no magic number - whatever is satisfying to both is fine.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,241,607 times
Seems sometimes we go in spurts. My wife and I are both working, and we have three kids (16, 15, 11). Oldest works but doesn't drive yet (we're working on it), so we have to take him to work for now. He's also in Orchestra so we have concerts to go to. Middle one is in Choir so we have her concerts, and the littlest one is in basketball so we have practices and games. Between that and our fulltime jobs, sometimes it's exhaustion and sometimes it's just bad timing.

We have a rule though. We try to get together at least once every two weeks. That is for both of us to put the time in to be relaxed enough to enjoy each other. Often it's more than that, but on occasion its less. Part of this is also understanding sexual release. She has "toys" too, (I don't but can take care of things myself). The rule with that is that if it gets to where that takes the place too much of our normal schedules, then it stops (which it hasn't done yet). Sometimes the sexual release that can seem calming (let's not get into physiology of it! ) can come from a quick "finish." That happens and it's okay. As long as it doesn't take the place of the intimacy we both want. And that line is drawn by the person, not a date on a calendar.

If it bothers you, tell her. But if it's just a quick release, that's okay, too. It's what you feel about it, and you need to let her know.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,693,973 times
Hmmm.. I dont know here.. I have to agree a little bit with everyones posts. I'm 38, my fiance is 31, we were like rabbits when we first met (three years ago) and now we both want each other but with work schedules, home life, etc.. we have fallen off of that path. We are both exhausted by the time we hit the pillow at night but I don't like using that excuse. I still want him - don't use toys and he still wants me and we just can't seem to get our timing right LOL
It has been a me and him both equally sharing in the lack of intimacy. I have to say this though, a lot of men I think have this complaint but I'm going to complain about it. When we first met and for the first year, he wanted to make out all the time and there was actually foreplay, now? I get nothing! He just assumes that when he wants something that I "know" LOL - but, I digress. Back to YOUR topic, no I don't feel it's completely normal but I do understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships