U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:10 PM

820 posts, read 2,592,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't think so. Even though at this time I believe both parties are equally evil and wouldn't care to vote or argue about the subject at all, I believe the supporters of each one as a group share certain characteristics.
I understand exactly what you're speaking of. I just used that as one example. You're correct too in that people of different political parties do often share certain characteristics. However, many are more towards the middle of the road and cross over on certain issues. Again, politics may be more important to some than others. If so, that particular issue might be a dealbreaker. I was speaking of generalities in narrowing down the field too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,971,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I have to be able to have a conversation with the person.
I agree.

If you can't have a conversation you have no communication.
Without communication you have no understanding, and understanding each other is the basis of any successful relationship.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,745,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh390 View Post
I find this comment upsetting because I think a canidate's ability to run a country should have more inpact then their race or gender. Please don't tell me you're the type of person who wouldn't vote for someone JUST BECAUSE their black or a woman.
If you noticed the "comma" between saying that there is a black man and a women running and that we may be headed into a recession, you would see that I am saying that we are headed into a recession or something worse than a recession, i.e., a depression.

Last edited by victorianpunk; 05-24-2008 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
The older I get the more realistic I become.

I don't have a list. So what if she does not have a political view point, maybe she's not into politics. It sounds like many people are looking for a mirror image of themselves not another person. I love business and it excites me, but I don't expect "her" to love it because it do. What I do when I meet a girl is I find out what she likes and I match our "smilarities" together and build the relationship based on that. I don't have a list of seven things...............

But if she is not a fun person, we WILL NOT get along. I enjoy having lots of fun and hanging out.
I never said I couldn't be with anyone different from me or into different things, just that I could not be with anyone who lacks certain characteristics.

I don't care how old I get, I will never, EVER be with some idiot bimbo who couldn't read her way through a book of matches.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
You have 7 deal breakers-you are entitled. However, you might find someone stuck in one genre of music that passes all of your other criteria. You could hip them to other genres. Gangstalicious meet the Killers..Lil Jon meet God Forbid. I live in the dirty south and its an act of congress to meet a guy that is not stuck on just one genre or think I'm weird because I am into all genres. You just have to know how to "twurk" it to your advantage-especially if you meet a less than perfect person.

Anyways, I can't be with a guy with kids, cheats, or has a criminal record.

Notice what I said, listens only to hip-hop or emo. As in the girls around here, who call Depeche Mode "noise" and go back to listening to Ludacris. What I am saying is that if you are unable to expand your taste in music beyond hip-hop and/or emo, it aint gonna work.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:01 AM

18,433 posts, read 29,488,554 times
OK, I'll take a shot at this.

You know, I thought a deal breaker for me would be someone who wants children. This, only being a dealbreaker, because I have already had my children, and am not able to have anymore. (But I am sort of seeing someone who does not have children, and i do believe he may want them at some point... )

So, it is actually for the better of the other person.

I can't even think of some list of deal breakers.

I mean really, of course I want them to be monagamous, and I do not use drugs or alcohol, so I would not want to be with some one who does.

My mother died of lung cancer, so I would not want to be with someone who smokes.

I would not want to be with someone who is emotionally, verbally, mentally, or physically abusive, or abusive in any way, to any one. (take my wasband, for example, which is why he is my wasband, and not my husband. although he was not phys abu.)

I have had many people, both male and female introduce me to music I just knew I did not like. Now i do..

I do not really have a political opinion, because I do not deal well with controversy. I would hope that someone would not hold that against me. It does not make me a bad person, or less attractive... does not make me stupid, etc.

VP, you told us in another thread that you were pityful, that you had never been in a relationship with a woman, kissed a woman, etc.

Now you give us this list of deal breakers.

The things I have, and there are more, for the most part, fall under morality and ethics.

I could never hold the music a person listens to, their political viewpoint, etc... against them.

There are many wonderful people out there, we don't all have the same viewpoints as everyone else, but this is what makes us individuals.

Meeting new people and the things they are 'in to' teaches us things... sometimes even teaches us life lessons.

Introduces us to new things.

Do you know, my wasband never opened doors for me... sat across a table at a little restaraunt and held my hand, just looked into my eyes, like he loved me...

He did not treat me like a gentleman should treat a lady, ever. We did not snuggle or cuddle as a married couple should....

He only talked down to me. Told me what I should do, or that what I was doing was being done the wrong way.

Nearly seventeen years of living a miserable life, not even knowing what was out there, or how things were truly supposed to be.

Seeing it on tv or a movie but thinking that was just it... make believe, because I had not ever exp it.

You, as well, have not experienced many things, and I don't think it is likely that you will, like this.

I can't understand, either, how someone could not love nature, but you know, I cannot hold it against them... What I would do, is introduce it to them, as they have never seen before. Maybe they would like it. Maybe they had not experienced nature as they should have.

History. I love it. Also, could not understand how someone could not enjoy history. History makes us what we are. It makes us who we are. Again, I could not fault someone for not enjoying it, because maybe the only history they are familiar with is book history. Introduction to history. What a wonderful thing.

Go to a museum. Go to a historical site... intorduce someone to history, let them see it... I was just at Jamestown settlement yesterday, as well as Yorktown... didn't have time to go to Williamsburg, but I took some mean pictures... But you see, I was actually looking at things that were history. Looking at the actual things, not pictures or words in a book.

I love to read. I cannot understand how anyone could not. Again... not everyones cup of tea. Maybe one person loves to read, while another person likes to lay their hands on something. Some people can wrap their minds around a good book, and it is just like they are there, with the characters of the book. I am like that, so are my children. My wasband... is not. He is more hands on. Did I love him any less for it... nah...

But that was then, this is now. I like to put my hands on things also, and wrap my mind around them. I can read a book about all these historical things, and enjoy it just as much as a novel.. but I also love to see history.

A fat person. hmm... Depends on what we are calling fat here... Some people are huge. But they are thick, in mass, dont have fat rolling off of them. People would think of them as fat, when really, they are not.

I mean yes, they are overweight... don't have this lovely athletic build, but are they any less of a person? No.

I have seen some thick men, who are muscular as well... Sexy tattoo wrapped around their bulging bicep.. whew doggie!

I would love to see a picture of the nest you are talking about... why don't you post it?

VP, it is good to have standards in this life, but really, you are missing out on much in this life.

It is great to have things in common with someone, but you know what is even better? To intorduce someone you really like to something you love in your life... history, nature.. coffee. Photography. The beauty of an old barn, falling down from years and years of mistreatment.. there is beauty in everything, you just have to behold it.

Its just like with a child... you teach them about things and see them learning and enjoying these things, and it will bring you pleasure and comfort... that you were able to have shared something with someone, and that now they are interested in it too...

I hate saying something like this, but it is my opinion, and it is how I feel... you are going to have a lonely existence, and from what you have told us, you already do...

Good luck, VP.. in trying to find perfection. The thing that you think is perfection...

We all look for it, but at the end of the day, there is not a one out there who is perfect, not except the one who walked on water.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,098,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
1. Not 100% Heterosexual **sigh** Ricky Martin, I will be your Linda if you will be my Cole Porter, I will live a life of deceit for you.

2. Lying and deceit with himself and others (unless its Ricky Martin)

3. Unmotivated or unambitious in whatever his dreams may be (I'll motivate you baby)

4. Never left the town he is in (I'll get you a plane ticket RM)

5. Does not take care of himself (hygiene or fitness) (Ricky you can get fat and not shower)

6. Drinks, smokes alot, does drugs or eats fast/junk food daily (I'll go to White Castle for you and pick up a bag of N. Cali's finest)

7. Abusive to others in anyway, physical, emotional, sexual (sorry Ricky this one stays)

I guess there are very few true deal breakers for the right partner.
Ricky is hotttt!! I feel the same way about Tim McGraw. I met Ricky Martin back in '88, I was dating one of his friends. He was HOT then (and nice) and HOT now.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:30 AM

72 posts, read 413,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
How can someone not read? Didn't they learn anything from LeVar Burton?
ROFL!!

1.) Didn't like to travel/experience foreign cultures/wasn't open minded about moving out of country. - I want to move out of the states eventually. If I found someone while I'm here, he'd have to be willing to relocate & be very adventurous & love to travel. I love traveling & experiencing new things, sampling new cuisine & just living life.

2.) Wasn't vegetarian/vegan. - That automatically leaves out hunters, fishermen, animal abusers, & jackasses that think fancy dates = steak houses -_- Also couldn't imagine my life without a dog, so if he couldn't have a dog, I'd have to pass.

3.) Doesn't know the difference between a Hebrew & a Jew. - (-_-) This annoys me more than words can describe. I argued with a Pentecostal preacher (who had preached for 30 something years) for like 2 hours about this. The problem being he couldn't show me what he was saying was correct. -_- Most people don't know/understand that Jews & Hebrews are not the same thing. Abraham wasn't a Jew, he was a Hebrew... Hebrew means "he who crosses over", because Abraham was the first to cross over, out of Babylon. Jews come from Judah, which is only one of the TWELVE sons of Jacob (aka Israel). Jews are Hebrews, but not all Hebrews are Jews! There's 11 other "tribes" of Hebrews out there!!!

4.) Was lazy and/or unclean. - ie: I used to live with a guy that would throw his trash on the floor or in the sink & expect me to clean it up.. I kid you not. He just threw it wherever & expected me to clean it up.... That lasted all of a month. By the end of the month, he figured out where the dang trash can was! I just can't deal with stupid things like that. Definite deal breaker.

5.) Was abusive/substance abuser (ie: alcoholism/smoking). - Yeah... I don't think I need to explain the abuse part. As for the alcoholism. I wouldn't mind a glass of wine at dinner or the occasional champagne or something like that, but I refuse to be with someone that drank in excess (what I consider to be excess). As for smoking, I think it's disgusting, unhealthy & just awful to smell.

6.) Showed no self restraint when it came to sex. - Nothing turns me off more than a guy that's slept with a slew of women/men and/or who has multiple children by various women.. I just wouldn't let a guy like that near me. I am not fond of the idea of raising someone else's children. Sleeping around is not attractive & doesn't prove anything to me, except that the guy has a serious lack of self restraint, which I consider WEAKNESS. It also proves his inability to remain faithful & that he most likely wouldn't turn down sex if it were offered to him when we were married (hey, he couldn't turn it down when he wasn't married, what changes?). Overall, in my opinion, it just proves to me that he's weak, and what woman wants a weak man?... Surely not this one. Loyalty/Monogamy = huuuuuuuge thing IMO.

7.) Who wasn't metro. - Yup, you read that correctly. I couldn't deal with a dude that wouldn't wax his eyebrows or get a manicure. Sorry! If I have to have soft hands & feet, neatly groomed nails, shave/wax my legs, put on makeup, fix my hair pretty & make sure I don't have a unibrow or caveman eyebrows for my man, then he has to look nice for me! I want a clean, attractive dude, that knows about hygiene, that's nicely groomed, has groomed eyebrows & who knows about skincare. And yes, I'm 100% serious! I get really turned off when I see guys with sloppy eyebrows that are all dirty & whatnot. If I wanted that, I'd move to a trailer park with some guy that had a beer belly & liked to wear "wife beaters".

8.) Someone with a criminal record. - I know this is 8 things, but being with a convicted felon or something just isn't my kinda thing. lol I don't want some criminal minded person. Who knows what they could do to you?

Last edited by Aconitum; 05-26-2008 at 05:40 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 AM

117 posts, read 287,400 times
1. Dislikes books.
Theres nothing worse than talking to someone about a book and they don't know why you would want to read in the first place. I don't care if they don't like the same books as I do or happens to have a weird obsession with mythology and theology (like me ). But not reading is not cool.

2.Isn't open minded.

Enough said, it's so annoying when they disliked others based on sexual preference or tattoo or isn't open to new experiences, music and culture. I dislike those who are biased or use religion as a cover.

3. Is overtly body conscious
I don't care if you're metro, that's ok. But when a guy/girl is constantly ripping on his/her body it's so annoying. I couldn't deal with someone who takes longer to get dressed than I do or is constantly asking me if they're fat or short or whatever.

4. Isn't philosophical or interested in wherever there is something more.
I hate people who only care about the moment and never wonder if there's someone else. People who are materialistic and scene.

5.Treats me badly
I can't be with someone who screams at me or hits me or expects me to be overtly femenine and womanly. If you're constantly telling me what to do, it's over.

6.Can't get their life together.
I'm tired of those annoying pothead who don't even have a job or anything. Get your S- together man!

7.Hates nature
I'm a big: let's save the planet! recycle, don't wear shoes and go hiking kind of girl. I can't see myself when someone who actually gets fit from the gym, not the outdoors. I love animals too, so if you hate pets it's not going to work out.

(I couldn't also be with someone who hates my music or my book collection.)

Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,005,633 times
WOW GOOD one!

1. SCANDALOUS! Lots of em out there today.
2. Anorexic or Obese
3. Emo, punk, goth, thugs, whatever you call em nowadays
4. No system of morality (doesn't have to be religion)
5. Not Affectionate (No Mojo?)
6. Lack of education
7. SMOKING

Basically a good hearted simple woman, sure hard to find nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships