U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 PM

98 posts, read 213,728 times
Default Interracial dating

Lately I have noticed quite a few couples where the man is white and the female is black. I almost never seen this in the past, only black men with white women. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,229,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
Lately I have noticed quite a few couples where the man is white and the female is black. I almost never seen this in the past, only black men with white women. Has anyone else noticed this?
Its very common. Especially where I live in southern California. Most of my friends are all interracial couples and we are all as close as family.

There are:

Asian Male/Persian female
Asian male/white female
black male/white female
Hispanic female/asian male
white male/black female
Indian male/hispanic female
Jordanian male/asian female

Just as common to see as Starbucks coffee shops.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 AM

51 posts, read 144,330 times
I'm Asian and I'm married to a caucasian male. I have to say I have seen plenty of interacial relationships/marriages especially since my husband's in the Navy. It appares that there are many, many interracial couples in the military. My husband and I being the a pair of them.

Otherwise, I rarely see interracial couples in the civillian world, but that could just be that I wasn't paying much attention.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 AM

72 posts, read 347,386 times
My best friend is a black woman, married to a Caucasian man... And I'm Caucasian & like Asian men.. I also know Asian men that date Black women & vice versa.. I see lots of interracial dating these days.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 AM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,799,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
I personally haven't noticed this, but you're right about more black women dating white men. There were a bunch of articles written about this last fall. This is just one of them:

'Could Mr. Right be white?' More black women consider 'dating out' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/06/interracial.dating.ap/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,615,421 times
Gotta admit that article upset me to a large extent. Here I am getting "racial equality" and "sexual equality" shoved down my throat, and I hear that within the "black" culture, many are told to "stick with your own race."

I don't know if it's because of because of my upbringing or the education I received throughout my career; regardless, my take is that I would date or marry a woman based solely on how I feel about her and how she treats me. As I have stated in other threats, I have dated black women, and been married to an Asian. Doesn't matter. Treat me well, let me treat you well, and all's good.

Just kinda frustrating to know that while we're publically getting the message that there's racial (or sexual) inequality (and believe me, I know there is!), behind closed doors, some are trying to propogate a reverse message. Is it any wonder there's racial tensions?

Bottom line: Treat a lady well (regardless of skin color), and hopefully she'll do the same.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Gotta admit that article upset me to a large extent. Here I am getting "racial equality" and "sexual equality" shoved down my throat, and I hear that within the "black" culture, many are told to "stick with your own race."

I don't know if it's because of because of my upbringing or the education I received throughout my career; regardless, my take is that I would date or marry a woman based solely on how I feel about her and how she treats me. As I have stated in other threats, I have dated black women, and been married to an Asian. Doesn't matter. Treat me well, let me treat you well, and all's good.

Just kinda frustrating to know that while we're publically getting the message that there's racial (or sexual) inequality (and believe me, I know there is!), behind closed doors, some are trying to propogate a reverse message. Is it any wonder there's racial tensions?

Bottom line: Treat a lady well (regardless of skin color), and hopefully she'll do the same.
Well I can understand why many parents would prefer their child to date within their own race. It's tied in with all of that desire to carry on the family name to future generations. Then there is also that desire to have grandchildren that look like little versions of their elders. Obviously to having a mixed race children will interfere or complicate that wish.

Again, my impression that the what we expect out of being racially equal is a bit different between men and women.

For me as a woman, being racially equal means having equal job opportunities and being treating with respect by all other races. However I don't automatically then wish to date men of other races. I take each man on an individual basis of whether or not I am attracted to them, and then find their personality, intellect, morals and interests are compatible enough for me.

But so many times on these message boards, I find that men like to talk more about being able to date attractive women of all races. Not that women don't think the same way, but with men, that ability to date all races seems more of a benchmark of racial equality. They talk about it in a more general sense and less as individual events of wanting to date a specific woman.

I think that in a culture of true racial equality, we would be more colour blind and not mention someone's race when we talk about them or describe them. Hardly any of my friends think of me as Chinese. I just happen to have a natural tan.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well I can understand why many parents would prefer their child to date within their own race. It's tied in with all of that desire to carry on the family name to future generations.
Not to be argumentative, because I agree with almost every other point you made... but what does "staying within your own race" have to do with family names? Women (traditionally) drop them anyway when they get married unless they hypyhenate or don't change at all. Men, it's automatic (for the majority). You keep your name.

Just because I'm white, marrying a black, asian, hispanic, etc. doesn't mean I change my family name. Just a little confused on that point. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your post whole-heartedly.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Not to be argumentative, because I agree with almost every other point you made... but what does "staying within your own race" have to do with family names? Women (traditionally) drop them anyway when they get married unless they hypyhenate or don't change at all. Men, it's automatic (for the majority). You keep your name.

Just because I'm white, marrying a black, asian, hispanic, etc. doesn't mean I change my family name. Just a little confused on that point. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your post whole-heartedly.
Well the part about family names is part of the whole desire to have the family line continue intact and "pure". And I think that most of these familial desires are mainly subconscious ones and rooted in social biology sciences, but I could see some people with a real vision about how their future descendants should look and act and trying to guide their children accordingly.

I have a Chinese friend with the last name of Leung. And it would be natural for his family to want any future Leungs to look Chinese, especially the older and more traditionally minded ones.

Also I just worked a 80th birthday party for a family with the last name of Fitzgerald. There were about 40 people there of all ages. There were several young children there that were cute as buttons. The whole group was picture perfect and very beautiful and... all white. They were really really nice people and it never occurred to me then (or now) that they could be racially prejudiced for not having any other races represented in their family group.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well the part about family names is part of the whole desire to have the family line continue intact and "pure". And I think that most of these familial desires are mainly subconscious ones and rooted in social biology sciences, but I could see some people with a real vision about how their future descendants should look and act and trying to guide their children accordingly.
Gotcha! Kinda like the German Aryan race thing. Sounds like a good plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships