U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,817,386 times

Advertisements

Becoming engaged is one of the most exciting life changing moments in the lives of both men and women. I've often enjoyed reading stories of how a couples became engaged. Some have been very traditional, others have been highly creative. Mine I guess would fall under a bit unusual. LOL.

I'll share my story and look forward to reading some of your proposal stories.

My fiance and I met on a Christian dating site. We spent a lot of time talking both online and on the phone getting to know each other and hit it off right from the start. We found we shared a lot of the same values, morals, beliefs and goals for life. After meeting in person, we found that not only did we have that bond on an intellectual, emotional and spiritual level, but to make matters sweeter and more perfect, we had the physical attraction to one another and the chemistry was there as well.

After months of being together, looking forward to weekends when we could see each other (It has been a LDR) we somehow started talking about marriage and sharing our lives together. Time continued to go by and the conversations became more frequent and involved. Soon we were planning our wedding. What makes our story unusual however, is that we were booking vendors, purchasing my dress, fittings for tuxedo's, buying favors and reception stuff, sending out invitations and all that other wedding stuff BUT there had been no official proposal and we were still searching for a ring (which we did together).

One day we were texting each other on the phone and he realized that he had not officially asked me to marry him. This gave us both a laugh and I in turn jokingly said to him, "oh well then I guess it's not official since I haven't officially said yes".

Well on 5/17/08 (just a little bit under a month prior to our wedding date of 6/14/08) we went to the jewelry store to pick up our rings. I was fully expecting to simply continue wearing my promise ring and receive the bridal set on our wedding day. However, my fiance had other plans. Having gotten the engagement part of the bridal set without me noticing he took me out to dinner and then to the location of our very first date. After sitting out there for a while just looking out at the water, talking and sharing a few smiles and giggles as we thought of our first date there, we went for a little walk and he officially proposed. Of course I said yes. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with this man. He is totally amazing. And with that he slipped the ring on my finger. Needless to say I was surprised as I had no clue he even had the ring with him.

Here is a picture of my ring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 AM

25,566 posts, read 23,735,130 times
My first husband....long story short... we were taking a walk out in this big field, talking about things in general....and I just blurted it out: 'I think we should be married!'
Next thing you know, he agreed, and within a few months, we were. But...we were also very young, not very wise, and just barely out of high school.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,226,707 times
mari4him,
beautiful ring and story
i met my dh, and we just knew. in fact we were also planning our wedding without an "official" proposal. i had told him he need not get me a ring etc.
one day my family and his brother's family were all in NYC, and his brother asked if i, my then fiance and he and his wife would take a carriage ride along 5th ave. we had to leave our parents on the street to wait for us, and no one knew what was going on--but they all said ok.
it was Dec 23, 1995, and we had gone to see rockefeller center christmas tree.
i got on the carriage as did my guy and all of a sudden it started moving! i was like "WAIT!!, 2 other people are supposed to get on!!" i proceded to question my guy, like what the hell is going on?? we have to go back and get your brother !

but he was like, just relax, i wanted to take a ride with you. and he asked me again. i said yes of course, i thought we already decided. then he gave me the box.

5th ave was very crowded of course, other carriages, limos, people on the street who could see what he had done and they were all cheering for us! it was very fun and sweet....

Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,684,574 times
I think my fiance had other engagement plans but sometimes the spur of the moment ones are the best ones..
We were up fooling with the horses, he asked me if I was having a great day, to which I replied "yes, I'm having a great day, everyday is great with you" - when I turned around, he was down on one knee IN the horse manure (accidentally, LOL) and asked me to marry him. It was really sweet and it was very romantic - and I loved that it was so unplanned.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,330,116 times
My hubby and I are totally into birdwatching. When we had been dating about 1.5 years, we decided to take an overnight trip to our favorite birdwatching spot on the Delaware shore for some spring migration birding. We got up at dawn and got our regular take out breakfast from WaWa and headed to our spot where we always picnic at this national wildlife refuge. It was a gorgeous early May day with the just-risen sun shining on us as we ate our breakfast. Afterward, bf asked me if I would get the binoculars out of the back while he set up the spotting scope. So I went to the back, opened his case and got his binoculars out and gave them to him then went back to get mine. When I opened my case, tucked in and attached to the neck strap was my engagement ring. While I was kind of anticipating that he was going to propose this weekend, I did not anticipate that he would do it in that manner. And for us, as birdwatchers, it was perfect . Of course I said yes! For our pre-honeymooon, we went on a wonderful week-long birding trip in southeast Arizona, then to northern Arizona (and got married in Sedona.)

PS On the day he proposed, I was afraid that if he proposed that day, he was going to do it on one of the many boardwalks over the marshes and that the ring would fall out of my hands and into the muck. My fears did not happen, thank goodness .

Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 AM

12,351 posts, read 13,049,760 times
He asked me after 3 weeks of dating to marry him. I said no. He kept asking and asking and asking. Finally I got tired of the pressure and said yes, but wait two years until i get out of college. He was 28, I was 20. Then he started pressuring me to move the wedding date up. He kept asking and asking and asking. I got tired of the pressure. I was exhausted. I said yes. It was a mistake. I should have stuck with the original no. We got divorced.

Moral of the story for me: trust your gut. Also it's a small mess to clean up now or a big mess to clean up later. Today life is good and I am happy....because now I trust my gut and stand up for myself, and I don't let people who do not have my best interests at heart pressure me into things.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM

30 posts, read 74,621 times
my future x husband and were spending the night together when he leaned over and told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. i thought it was one of those caught up in the moment things and didnt pay it much mind. a few days later were at a shopping center looking for a few things and i decided to go in a shoe store. he said he didnt want to go in there and went in the jewelry store. i thought he was looking at chains and i was eyeing this ring. while he was looking at some jewelry i went out to put my bags in the car and sat and talked on my cell phone while i waited. the next thing i know we were driving to mcdonalds to get something to eat. i got out of the car and my parents and his dad were there and then he got down on one knee in the mickey d's parking lot and proposed lol. kinda cheesy but sweet btw he bought the ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships