Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:08 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
lol of course. My family's culture is all about family. Very domestic. I know of no one in my entire famly who put anyone in a nursing home. But I do know people who do that and that is pretty cold.

I know this is old....but this comment is total BULL****. I am an only child. My dad passed when I was 15. The only family I have nearby is my mom. The rest of my extended family (cousins) live 800 miles away. I work full time. I am not married, no kids. My mom is 90 years old and in a nursing home. Before my mom had to go to a nursing home, I TRIED to get her to live with me. She refused. She had been in her house over 40 years and did not want to leave it.

However, the time came when she started having issues, and illnesses, and bad falls. She fell down the stairs twice, broke her ankle. Fell outside, broke her arm. Then other issues, surgeries, and now she has Alzheimers.

There is no way my mom can be without some one around 24 hrs a day. She cant cook for herself, or walk without assistance. And like I said she has alzheimers. I am all alone. I have no other family close by. And I work full time. I had no choice but to put her in a home. But, I am there all the time. We go for walks (well...me walk..her wheel chair) go out to dinner, etc. I am NOT one of those people that put their loved ones in a nursing home and never go see them. I stay on top of what is going on with her and the nursing home staff know me and know im totally involved. You HAVE to be. I will always be there for my mom. She just cannot live at home.

I HATE having holier than thou a$$holes judge because some of us aren't able to keep a loved one at home. Im probably more involved in the life of my mom than some of those that have a parent at home and just ignore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I know this is old....but this comment is total BULL****. I am an only child. My dad passed when I was 15. The only family I have nearby is my mom. The rest of my extended family (cousins) live 800 miles away. I work full time. I am not married, no kids. My mom is 90 years old and in a nursing home. Before my mom had to go to a nursing home, I TRIED to get her to live with me. She refused. She had been in her house over 40 years and did not want to leave it.

However, the time came when she started having issues, and illnesses, and bad falls. She fell down the stairs twice, broke her ankle. Fell outside, broke her arm. Then other issues, surgeries, and now she has Alzheimers.

There is no way my mom can be without some one around 24 hrs a day. She cant cook for herself, or walk without assistance. And like I said she has alzheimers. I am all alone. I have no other family close by. And I work full time. I had no choice but to put her in a home. But, I am there all the time. We go for walks (well...me walk..her wheel chair) go out to dinner, etc. I am NOT one of those people that put their loved ones in a nursing home and never go see them. I stay on top of what is going on with her and the nursing home staff know me and know im totally involved. You HAVE to be. I will always be there for my mom. She just cannot live at home.

I HATE having holier than thou a$$holes judge because some of us aren't able to keep a loved one at home. Im probably more involved in the life of my mom than some of those that have a parent at home and just ignore them.
Don't let them get to you. I work at a nursing home and seen all kinds of hard situations. At least you visit her and spend time with her, can't imagine how difficult it must be when she asks to go home.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post

I agree with this 200%. My parents aren't old enough to be in nursing homes (yet), but I'm also single & work full-time, and & know that I won't be able to take care of them when it gets to the point where they can't take care of themselves. They will have to go into a nursing home at that point. There is nothing "cold" about this, it's just the reality of the situation.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Surfer View Post
Don't let them get to you. I work at a nursing home and seen all kinds of hard situations. At least you visit her and spend time with her, can't imagine how difficult it must be when she asks to go home.

Thank you. She had her moments in the beginning. My mom is quite the spitfire, and she would wheel herself over to her dresser and pack up her clothes and call me and demand I come get her now. I was getting calls at work and everything. But she has been there for 2 years now, and has settled in. Now she is the opposite and considers everything in her room 'hers' and it's 'her place' even though she has a roommate. lol

Yes, Im there almost every day. I try to do things with her that interest her and make her happy. Trying different foods, walks, bingo, and going for rides helps do the trick

Old 09-26-2015, 04:19 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Default Huh lol

My dad's primary business is senior living, and I think there's a lot of confusion with terms that people just don't "get." There are nursing homes, there are senior living communities, there are memory care buildings, etc. Nursing homes are NOT senior living! Nursing homes are low-rent, low-budget, low-class places where you don't put a parent there unless you simply don't have the money to put them somewhere nicer.

A senior living community can be incredibly grand, way better than your apartment, way better than your house, way better than where you have ever lived before. My company (video production) has filmed more than 400 senior living communities nationwide and I've seen some incredibly awesome places. The best has a mini-Bellagio programmable water feature that lights up, dances to music, and that people from around the city come to the waterfront just to see. It sits right on a beautiful river / nature trail. Indoors, the workout facility (which has a full-time staff member dedicated to fitness and wellness) has state-of-the-art equipment not found in any other U.S.-based place before, where the machines have key card access that remembers the last workout routine of residents and tracks their progress session to session and week to week. It has a full-service luxury salon and a massage room for residents, so they can get haircuts, spa treatments, and massages whenever they want them during the day.

Beyond that, there is an indoor pool with a high quality projector so residents can swim and even watch movies while they swim! The dining room has an actual high-quality chef who prepares specialty meals like a five-star restaurant and caters to all of the residents' needs. There is valet parking at the community for residents (independent living) and family members / visitors. There is also besides the projector in the swimming pool a full home theater setup to accommodate movie nights. There is a computer lounge for residents to access whenever they want, along with a library. There are multiple activity rooms for gaming, bingo, cards, whatever they want to do. A full social calendar with happy hours, bus trips to nearby restaurants and parks and other outings, etc. All of that is combined with nursing care and close monitoring of the residents' health needs.

So when you think, "Oh my god, that's so heartless, how could you put mom into a senior living place! Have you no soul?" You are the clueless one who needs to understand your weird horror movie vision of senior living is simply not reality at all at any of the top places. Even an average senior living community -- not the palace described above -- still has a LOT more social interaction for residents than being at home with nobody like them and nobody to talk with them and nothing to do. Another community I love has an outdoor putt putt golf course, it's right off the Las Vegas Strip, and it has a huge bingo board and home theater, etc. There are some incredible places out there.

You could do a lot worse in life than being "stuck" in the senior living place I described. Frankly, I'd move in now if they didn't have an age minimum! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships