Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,128,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think this is a noble outlook, but there have to be limits. For example, if I have a better reason for punching a baby than the next guy it shouldn't matter; I'm still punching babies.
Theoretically-speaking and in a broad sense, I think what your saying is perfectly logical. But it doesn't make sense to me that you would be comparing prostitution to punching babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,939,212 times
"Shallow Rath" is going to show his ugly head here. Pretty Woman got a lot of conversations going about this very topic when it first appeared. There is some difference, though. Julia Roberts obviously was fairly new to the job and didn't have an extensive list of clientele.

My thought is very simple (as is my mind). If she was a street crack prostitute, I wouldn't even take the time to answer. So, I'm making an assumption that she is a step or two above.. even to the extent she may be an expensive "call girl." That being the case, my answer would have to be no.

With no foundation to base any of my opinion on, I would think that a woman like that (who gets to pick and choose her clientele) would be able to set up her "johns" for her moods. "Mike is funny" "Steve is smart" "John is wealthy" "Frank is classy" (etc. etc.). So, she has never had to develop a relationship where she has to deal (really deal) with someone's shortcomings when she didn't have to. This may have longterm effects on her mental and emotional development and ability to deal with adversity in a relationship. If she's in the mood for funny and I'm not, how easy would it be for her to resort back to her old ways and find someone who is there for those times she wants it?

With that in the back of my mind, I would be setting the relationship up for failure before it started. In light of that, the answer to would I date/marry a prostitute would have to be "no."

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM

169 posts, read 537,475 times
It would depend on what their charges were....were they street hookers or call girls/guys. j/k ....I find it hard to believe that the only thing they have left to do is sell themselves for money. I don't THINK I could date someone who was a prostitute but sometimes we may say things that we don't really know until we are put in that situation. So "how much do I owe you?" heh.....as in the other prostitue thread, some say that sex is paid for somehow wether it be by movie and dinner until they are willing to say, "yes he is worth sleeping with now," well you at least you got to know the person a little (despite that it may be all bs just to get some a**). Then you get that feeling used feeling. It sucks but don't know if you can consider that a form of prostitution because they don't have any feelings of being used.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,595,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckown View Post
Then you get that feeling used feeling. It sucks but don't know if you can consider that a form of prostitution because they don't have any feelings of being used.
No, prostitutes have no feelings.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,717,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Theoretically-speaking and in a broad sense, I think what your saying is perfectly logical. But it doesn't make sense to me that you would be comparing prostitution to punching babies.
Before I address the above, I would like to congratulate Rathagos on a very well thought out and executed post. I'm sure your employer wishes that you would pour that kind of effort into your job.

Now, therefore:

It is the case that baby-punching and prostitution are separate and distinct, apples and oranges one might say, but my intent was to illustrate that "why" becomes immaterial beyond a certain threshold of moral turpitude. In other words, in the same way that baby-punching is baby-punching regardless of motive, whoring is whoring. There is a line that is crossed when a woman (or man) decides that circumstances permit the trade of overt sexual congress for money. Healthy people will not cross that line.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Before I address the above, I would like to congratulate Rathagos on a very well thought out and executed post. I'm sure your employer wishes that you would pour that kind of effort into your job.
??

Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,717,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
??
I'm just kidding. I was trying to say that you write well.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,001,109 times
Quote:
If that is what you were intending.. it came across as an insult to me... maybe you should have left the part out about the employer.. which to me was not necessary... a "you write very well" would have been sufficient, instead of belittling them..

Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
LOL... I hoped so... my boss would probably agree though... got me paranoid... I just switched companies and was looking over my shoulder!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,128,989 times
Quote:
It is the case that baby-punching and prostitution are separate and distinct, apples and oranges one might say, but my intent was to illustrate that "why" becomes immaterial beyond a certain threshold of moral turpitude. In other words, in the same way that baby-punching is baby-punching regardless of motive, whoring is whoring. There is a line that is crossed when a woman (or man) decides that circumstances permit the trade of overt sexual congress for money. Healthy people will not cross that line.
I did catch your drift, but I was saying that I disagree. I'm not sure I feel the line is crossed when one has become a prostitute. I'm not sure that I'd say only unhealthy people would be prostitutes. I was inclined to feel that way in the past, but it was mostly because other people had told me I ought to feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships