Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 PM

213 posts, read 672,048 times

Advertisements

Ok, in today's world getting married is like changing clothes. All of my friends have recently got married and half of them were seperated or out of love within months. So i was just wondering if falling in love was still the number one reason or is it now because of the: money, fear of being alone, looks, children, your parents, sex, or just plain settling for someone that made you get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
For me, it was love. I had two marriage proposals before my first husband and I turned them both down, and I was a single parent at the time, so all the "extras" you mention would certainly have come in handy--if I had thought they were more important than loving your spouse, or if I didn't have the chutzpah to get them on my own.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 PM

287 posts, read 897,059 times
We married 'cause at that time there weren't any partner benefits and I was pregnant with our 1st child. We were perfectly happy living together w/out the paper - we believe marriage is an outdated mode of living. Unfortunately society still insists that people marry to recieve any benefits for the spouse and/or the children. We've had our ups and downs but after 13 years we're still together and most of the time we're still happy. My love for my husband is stronger than when I first met him and if something ever happened to us I won't get married again. Told him this is my 1st and only time at marriage.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
Ok, in today's world getting married is like changing clothes. All of my friends have recently got married and half of them were seperated or out of love within months. So i was just wondering if falling in love was still the number one reason or is it now because of the: money, fear of being alone, looks, children, your parents, sex, or just plain settling for someone that made you get married.
She wouldn't give it up until I did!!! (JUST KIDDING NWPA!!!)

My wife and I knew each other for about 2 years before we got married. She moved here to Texas from Pennsylvania so we can get to know each other better. She had a daughter from a previous marriage. After time, we knew we loved each other.. that was obvious. But what we needed to find out was did we have the same goals down the road. As I've said in posts past, I want to retire in the hills/mountains somewhere close to a lake. She shared that desire. That was the biggest thing. But there was a materialistic reason, too. I wanted to take care of her and her daughter (medically), and I have real good insurance being retired military. But, the only way to get them on my policy is to get married. This was a lesser reason beyond the love and sharing of a long term vision, but it did play a role.

My advice is to look at the "down the road" picture. Most people don't ever really think about where they want to be... to retire. And that is a goal that should be shared, or you have two people working for two different goals. That's not a good recipe for success after the sex and honeymoon phase wears off.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Money. I was tired of being poor. Now, if that sounds wrong, my mama told me, "it is wrong to marry for money" but, "there is nothing wrong with dating rich men until you fall in love".

BTW, I took his money and made him much richer.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
She moved in which wasn't my idea, after a few months my mom had a sit down with me.. You know pat, you oughta ask her to marry you, and like a stupid dum**ss i went .."ok"

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
My husband and I met when were 16, started dating, and got engaged when we were 18. We married at nineteen and both of us were virgins because we don't feel sex before marriage is right. We married because we loved each other and it was just the next step. We have been married 13 years now and have three children.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,893 times
I got married for practical reasons: Green Card and better tax brackets.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
We married for love. There isn't many things in life that I've ever been really sure of... but when it comes to my husband... I knew that he is and always will be the love of my life. Seven years and we still chase each other around the house (and unless one of us dies, we'll be chasing each other for a LONG time to come).

I suppose the idea of marriage is trite and trivial... but it never was for us.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
I got married because I was in love with she who became my wife and I wanted her to be in my life for the rest of my life... or hers... or I should say OURS because we've already made a pact to live long enough at least for me to reach 100 years old and then we'll both die of simultaneous heart attacks while we're...

We got married because we were/are in love with each other and we had/have a lot of things in common, but the biggest deal-sealer was that we believed we'd be stronger together than we would sum up to be, apart.

AND YES, Rath, we wanted to have sex....! (That's just the icing on the cake though... it really didn't sway our decision.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships