Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 02:42 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
it's late in the evening, she's still wondering what clothes to wear.
(I'd rather stay home)
And then she asks me do i look all right(she had to ask, he had to answer) you look wonderful tonight. Several times, he just says the same thing. He really doesn't care what she looks like he loves her anyway.
He's tired of it all. Doesn't she get I love her? Does she have to ask all the time?
It's great she looks so good, everybodies envious(whoopie) you look wonderful tonight again.
I got a headache, lets go home.
It's their only conversation all night long.

It's a sad blues song, not a love song.

actually i think it IS a love song. just like shaekespear's sonnet :
SONNET 130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

in spite of "whatever", he still loves her. now that is love!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I love "Ain't nothing 'bout you"

My husband likes to send me poems and lyrics in emails but he's never sent me this one.

"Once I thought that love was something I could never do
Never knew that I could feel this much
But this yearning in the deep part of my heart for you
Is more than a reaction to your touch
It's a perfect passion and I can't get enough

The way you look, the way you laugh,
The way you love with all you have,
There ain't nothing bout you that don't do something for me
The way you kiss, The way you cry,
The way you move when you walk by
There's ain't nothing bout you (there ain't nothing bout you)
That don't do something for me

In my life I've been hammered by some heavy blows
That never knocked me off my feet
All you gotta do is smile at me and down I go
And baby it's no mystery why I surrender
Girl you got everything

I love your attitude, your rose tattoo, your every thought
Your smile, you lips and girl the list goes on and on and on

Your dance, your drive, You make me feel alive

The way you talk, the way you tease
Right now I think you see
There ain't nothing bout you that don't do something for me"
LOL, the shrinks might have a problem with this one, too, since you're supposed to feel alive and complete on your own.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
As a professional musician and lifelong romantic, maybe I can shed some light on this situation. Sierra, I'm inclined to agree that most love songs aren't really love songs... and often it is one single line which kills the whole thing. For example...

"Jersey Girl" by Bruce Springsteen
Go in the bedroom, put your makeup on (because I actually think you're ugly without it)
We're gonna take that little brat o'yours and drop 'er off at your mom's (I don't want your damn kid in my life, so truthfully I will never be able to love you completely)

"Have I Told You Lately" by Rod Stewart
(This is actually the first love song I ever sang to a girl I dated... when I was young and stupid.)
Have I told you lately that I love you? (Because I do it so infrequently that even I have forgotten if it's happened within the past few days. Deep down, my love for you is weak.)

"Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton
And the wonder of it all is that you just don't realize how much I love you. (Because I'm a moron and I refuse to open my mouth and spend a few seconds telling you how much I love you.)

"Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion
(This was "our song" for my very first real girlfriend and I back when it was immensely popular. We were both too stupid to realize that it was a song the lady was singing about her DEAD lover.)

"When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge / Michael Bolton / too many other artists
When a man loves a woman, can't keep his mind on nothin' else, he'd trade the world for the good thing he's found. (Not bad so far... but continue on...)
If she is bad, he can't see it, she can do no wrong (because the man is an IDIOT)
Baby, please don't treat me bad (Even if we skip over the fact that there are grammar errors galore in this song, I think that a man would have to be a total and complete moron to "trade the world" for a woman whom he still has to beg "please don't treat me bad".)

The list goes on and on when you look at popular music. Don't even get me started on oldies such as "Save The Last Dance For Me" and "You Belong To Me". (And good grief, I usually LIKE oldies!) This is why I wrote the processional song for my wedding and my wife and I chose a Christian love song for "our song".
Great translation!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:48 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
LOL, the shrinks might have a problem with this one, too, since you're supposed to feel alive and complete on your own.
LOL I agree, it reminds me of the Jerry McGuire movie in the scene where he says "You complete Me". People swoon over that nonsense. I don't want to "complete" somenone. That seems like too much pressure to me LOL

Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The shrinks would have a field day with most song lyrics.

I just like the song. He's so into her. That just doesn't last in a relationship. Which begs the quesiton why do we, being the idiots we are, focus on the part of relationships that just doesn't last? We romanticize the early part and forget the next 30 years. That's another topic.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-07-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
it's late in the evening, she's still wondering what clothes to wear.
(I'd rather stay home)
And then she asks me do i look all right(she had to ask, he had to answer) you look wonderful tonight. Several times, he just says the same thing. He really doesn't care what she looks like he loves her anyway.
He's tired of it all. Doesn't she get I love her? Does she have to ask all the time?
It's great she looks so good, everybodies envious(whoopie) you look wonderful tonight again.
I got a headache, lets go home.
It's their only conversation all night long.

It's a sad blues song, not a love song.
Wow. I had a totally different interpretation. I was going for he's a drunk and she's codependent. She needs to ask him how she looks, he's, obviously, showing her off like a trophy, then she dries him home, puts him to bed and is happy with being told "you were wonderful tonight". I was going for love song but more of one to a drunkards dream codependent girlfriend/wife.

That part about the headache being the only conversation always bothered me. Like it's an obligatory party they had to attend and he just went to put in his time and show her off. A relationship built on mutual need but not love.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL I agree, it reminds me of the Jerry McGuire movie in the scene where he says "You complete Me". People swoon over that nonsense. I don't want to "complete" somenone. That seems like too much pressure to me LOL
Actually, some advices go as far as telling you to be suspicious of anybody saying anything resembling "you make me feel... fill in the blank" because today you may make them feel thrilled and tomorrow you just might make them feel angry and it's gonna be your fault naturally. To me this point of view is a bit extreme... I don't believe there's anything fundamentally wrong with feeling better while being with somebody.

Then again, I'm a big fan of Wuthering Heights (Heathcliff is ME!), so you can imagine I've got some bolts missing...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Wow, we forgot Brian Adams!

YouTube - have you ever really loved a woman-bryan adams

OK, there is something positive out there!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:27 PM

44 posts, read 167,858 times
My love song would have to be Open Arms by journey. the song makes me feel all happy and lovey when i hear it. its such a beautiful song.

It is the song i picked to dance the bride and groom dance with my Fiance (who will then be my husband) at my wedding in 2010 ^^

"Open Arms"
By: Journey

Lying beside you
Here in the dark
Feeling your heart with mine
Softly you whisper
You're so sincere
How could our love be so blind
We sailed on together
We drifted apart
And here you are
By my side

So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Living without you
Living alone
This empty house seems so cold
Wanting to hold you
Wanting you near
How much I wanted you home

But now that you've come back
Turned night into day
I need you to stay

So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess83 View Post
My love song would have to be Open Arms by journey. the song makes me feel all happy and lovey when i hear it. its such a beautiful song.

It is the song i picked to dance the bride and groom dance with my Fiance (who will then be my husband) at my wedding in 2010
Wow, you sure think ahead! Since you've picked the song already, I'll refrain from dissecting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships