Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

rotfl what is a "pedastool" did you make up that word all on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithey View Post
Not necessarily...its an old quote I think. Ive heard it before. lol. Its true though. Sometimes people place other people on a pedastool and all we are is merely a choice among many for that person. which is just not cool....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
rotfl what is a "pedastool" did you make up that word all on your own?

no...i just cant spell.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,657 times
PEDESTAL!!!!!!! lol. i was trying the sound it out technique.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia View Post
Never make someone or something a priority, when all you are to them is an option.
Awesome advice. I'm gonna have to remember that!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillia
Never make someone or something a priority, when all you are to them is an option.
Awesome advice. I'm gonna have to remember that!
Me too. Great advice.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Fitzgerald View Post
The year was 1988. Acid-washed jeans were all the rage, Mike Dukakis was running for president, and “Sarah†and I were both students at a small liberal arts college in Texas. I was a senior, she was a freshman. We met through a mutual interest in politics--we attended a meeting to revive the moribund chapter of College Democrats. We had an initial attraction that I had never experienced before or since. As we worked on the student club we became closer and fell in love (or at least I did). We were both passionate about politics, has similar likes and dislikes, and the sex was spectacular. But I graduated in May of that year and went back home to Houston. Sarah returned home, too, for the summer (to Dallas). We kept in touch via telephone but a month or so later she broke off the relationship. We talked a few more times on the phone. Sarah made it clear that there would be no reconciliation and that it would be best that if we made a clean break--no ongoing contact, etc. I was utterly devastated. It was 20 years ago--June 1988.

Sarah returned to school in the fall and I moved in with some roommates in town. I heard through a friend-of-a-friend that she was dating someone at nearby Big State University. I ran into her once briefly at the campus bookstore. It was awkward and uncomfortable--little was said and, as it turns out, it would be the last time I ever saw her. The following semester Sarah transferred to Big State U. and I never knew what happened to her after that.

I dated other gals over the years, even fell in love. But I never stopped thinking about Sarah and my feelings for women I subsequently met was nothing compared to that which I had felt for Sarah. I can’t say that a day went by that I didn’t think of her, but certainly a week did not go by that I did think of Sarah. I often wanted to know what happened to her. I dreamt of her frequently (and still do).

My life progressed through ups and downs. I worked for a while after graduating, then went to graduate school, moved across the country, and established my career. I met a lovely woman and we married 10 years ago. We are both successful professionals and have two beautiful children together.

And yet 20 years later I still think of Sarah. In the past such musings just were just pie-in-the-sky daydreams. But, of course, the internet has changed that. Over the past 5 years I periodically Googled her name and didn’t find much (no surprise, really, since I figured she married and changed her name). But recently something came up. I have been able to find her new name and have learned quite a bit about Sarah through publicly available information. She graduated from Big State U. and is married to a successful medical researcher. She’s still a loyal Democrat. She lives in Dallas and has at least one child, and it appears that she’s been a stay at home mom for the past few years after having a career of her own.

The supposed prescription for getting past a break up--focusing your attention and energies on something else, meeting some one new, and (most of all) time, have done nothing for me. I have earned graduate degrees, advanced my career, built relationships, married and had children, established a home, and yet I still long for Sarah.

I dreamt of her again last night and today, 20 years later, I remain deeply torn. I still have feelings for Sarah that defy description yet I know what's past is past. Part of me still yearns for her, but I know this is irrational. At the same time part of me is happy to simply have had the brief moment of bliss with Sarah.
I have to tell you that I do the same thing. They say we dream that stuff b/c we miss old times. I can believe that b/c I truly do. I've been with my husband 19 years and the high school sweetheart has been married for a long time too. We found eachother on myspace and we talk every once in a while. Both of our SO knows that. It's just fun to reminisce the old times. I still do miss him!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I have to tell you that I do the same thing. They say we dream that stuff b/c we miss old times. I can believe that b/c I truly do. I've been with my husband 19 years and the high school sweetheart has been married for a long time too. We found eachother on myspace and we talk every once in a while. Both of our SO knows that. It's just fun to reminisce the old times. I still do miss him!
Yes, but is your interest in your old flame platonic? Tyler Fitzgerald's feelings seem to be otherwise...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Yes, but is your interest in your old flame platonic? Tyler Fitzgerald's feelings seem to be otherwise...
I would say platonic, but sometimes the dreams are more.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Funny with Myspace and facebook I have caught up with a lot of friends from the past. Most were platonic and am ticked that I am able to keep in contact with them.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,504 times
Default Email me!

Tyler your situation is almost identical to mine! If you can I'd like to meet up with you and discuss or if not just email me and I'll tell you my version of my story. We are so similar in how we feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships