Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

still thinking of her...you must have one very boring and dull life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No, artsy, some people's organs perform functions other than pumping blood alone, but you wouldn't know about that.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM

bwahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, artsy, some people's organs perform functions other than pumping blood alone, but you wouldn't know about that.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't know that I'd go with boring, but dysfunctional at least. Pining for a lost love, 20 years later just isn't normal. At some point, adults usually learn to live in the here and now. To appreciate what they have rather than daydream about what could have been. Personally, I find it sad to have this life with another person but be pining all these years for another. That makes your entire life a settle for estate. Can't have what I really want so I'll settle for this wife, this life...Sad IMO. And sadder still, the wife that was settled for gets a settle for estate and doesn't even know it or why she got it. At least be honest an tell her you're really in love with someone else and let her choose if she wants to stay.

I'd want to know if my husband was pining for someone else.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM

wise words from a wise wise woman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't know that I'd go with boring, but dysfunctional at least. Pining for a lost love, 20 years later just isn't normal. At some point, adults usually learn to live in the here and now. To appreciate what they have rather than daydream about what could have been. Personally, I find it sad to have this life with another person but be pining all these years for another. That makes your entire life a settle for estate. Can't have what I really want so I'll settle for this wife, this life...Sad IMO. And sadder still, the wife that was settled for gets a settle for estate and doesn't even know it or why she got it. At least be honest an tell her you're really in love with someone else and let her choose if she wants to stay.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

I completely disagree. No good could come from him sharing this info with his wife, except possibly in a theraputic setting with a counselor - and really, I'm not sure even then it would be helpful. He does love his wife, he has children he is responsible for and to - there is no reason to risk any of the stability his life has now just to "be honest" with his wife. All it would do is hurt her! In fact, telling her this would be a very selfish thing to do. He is not "in love" with Sarah but rather in love with the memory of her - he certainly seems to understand the difference. In any case, he doesn't want to lose his family, he is only sharing the thoughts and longings he is haunted by. Better to share that here with strangers than to ever mention it to his wife. My guess is that doing that here has given him a chance to get some of this off his chest and gain some real perspective.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,428 times
Quote:

Absolutely not! First, I don't think it's unusual for a person to remember a lost love.... many people do it all the time. Now, as to what extreme that is carried is what varies. To tell his wife he thinks of an old love? That would be crazy, rash, destructive, and uncalled for.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I completely disagree. No good could come from him sharing this info with his wife, except possibly in a theraputic setting with a counselor - and really, I'm not sure even then it would be helpful. He does love his wife, he has children he is responsible for and to - there is no reason to risk any of the stability his life has now just to "be honest" with his wife. All it would do is hurt her! In fact, telling her this would be a very selfish thing to do. He is not "in love" with Sarah but rather in love with the memory of her - he certainly seems to understand the difference. In any case, he doesn't want to lose his family, he is only sharing the thoughts and longings he is haunted by. Better to share that here with strangers than to ever mention it to his wife. My guess is that doing that here has given him a chance to get some of this off his chest and gain some real perspective.
You think hiding this from her and pining for a lost love is better for her? I have to disagree on that one. If he's in love with someone else and she's just the one he settled for, she deserves to be respected enough to be told that.

I have to give my ex credit there. He made no bones about being in love with Jackie. He just never expected to get the chance to get back with her. When he did, he was gone. He tried to come back after that but I was done.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Absolutely not! First, I don't think it's unusual for a person to remember a lost love.... many people do it all the time. Now, as to what extreme that is carried is what varies. To tell his wife he thinks of an old love? That would be crazy, rash, destructive, and uncalled for.
Yeah, and they surf the web looking for them and trying to find details of their lives. There is a difference between fond memories of bygone times and carrying a torch. This guy is carrying a torch.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
You think hiding this from her and pining for a lost love is better for her? I have to disagree on that one. If he's in love with someone else and she's just the one he settled for, she deserves to be respected enough to be told that.

I have to give my ex credit there. He made no bones about being in love with Jackie. He just never expected to get the chance to get back with her. When he did, he was gone. He tried to come back after that but I was done.
Ivory, your own personal experience has completely colored your ability to be objective on this subject, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships