Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Like Blazer Prophet I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to make some waves. Since cheating's been such a hot topic , I was wondering how people feel about open marriages and if anybody has tried it and cares to share.

A couple I know is into polyamory. I'm not sure exactly what it involves, but they certainly have a long and rock-solid marriage...

How Common Is Open Marriage?

The number of adults with open relationships -- be they formal marriages or more informal arrangements -- is small. Probably about 4% to 9% of U.S. adults have some sort of open arrangement, estimates Franklin Veaux, 41, an Atlanta-based computer programmer and web site developer who also runs a polyamory web site.

The Truth About Open Marriage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Like Blazer Prophet I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to make some waves. Since cheating's been such a hot topic , I was wondering how people feel about open marriages and if anybody has tried it and cares to share.

A couple I know is into polyamory. I'm not sure exactly what it involves, but they certainly have a long and rock-solid marriage...

The number of adults with open relationships -- be they formal marriages or more informal arrangements -- is small. Probably about 4% to 9% of U.S. adults have some sort of open arrangement, estimates Franklin Veaux, 41, an Atlanta-based computer programmer and web site developer who also runs a polyamory web site.

I had friends who had an open marriage years ago. It seemed to work well for them until she, accidentally, got pregnant. I'm not sure what happened to them after that. That's about the time I lost touch with them (they were friends of an ex).

I also knew a woman in a polygomous marriage but each of the wives lived in her own house so life was normal except for that her husband was gone more than he was home with her at night. She was a weird duck. I think she just liked the attention she got from raised eyebrows.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:

IMO its more common than we may think- visit some dating websites--lol- I am separated and on those sites, you meet ALOT of married men-Maybe their wives arent aware, but many of these men seem to think they have an open marriage-lol.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
She was a weird duck. I think she just liked the attention she got from raised eyebrows.
Oh, yeah, there are plenty of those... to the extend of hurting their own children... but the Munchausen syndrome is another can of worms....

I personally kinda like the idea of polygamy... You have your own home to do with what you please and get a visitor occasionally. It's almost like a stable FWB arrangement.

I'm the queen of off-topic, but let's try to stick to polyamory for at least a few posts.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
IMO its more common than we may think- visit some dating websites--lol- I am separated and on those sites, you meet ALOT of married men-Maybe their wives arent aware, but many of these men seem to think they have an open marriage-lol.
I'm afraid they just forgot to tell their wives about the arrangement.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, there are plenty of those... to the extend of hurting their own children... but the Munchausen syndrome is another can of worms....

I personally kinda like the idea of polygamy... You have your own home to do with what you please and get a visitor occasionally. It's almost like a stable FWB arrangement.

I'm the queen of off-topic, but let's try to stick to polyamory for at least a few posts.
Now if my husband wants a second wife who will stay home, take care of the kids, clean the house and cook, we'll have to talk about that one. I, jokingly, suggested this years ago but he said he can't handle the wife he has let alone two.

I guess there's nothing wrong with having a lifestyle that raises eyebrows if no one gets hurt. All three of this guys "wives" (only the first one was legal) were happy with the arrangement. One was a Doctor who didn't really have time for a family. The woman I knew watched her kids while she worked. The kids from all three wives were growing up together as one big extended family. Can't say they weren't happy but I really do think she was in it for the raised eyebrows. She was a "Look at me" type person.

Munchausen is definitely another topic. I've never known anyone suffering from that thank goodness.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-11-2008 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
MIght be kinda fun, but I think I'll be an old fuddy.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Now if my husband wants a second wife who will stay home, take care of the kids, clean the house and cook, we'll have to talk about that one. I, jokingly, suggested this years ago but he said he can't handle the wife he has let alone two.
I like this version, too! I don't know if the guys would go for it, though... it means 2+ MILs! On the other hand, it also means some variety for them...

Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid they just forgot to tell their wives about the arrangement.
That reminds me of an office I used to work in. First place I worked out of college. I was convinced that EVERYONE was cheating after working there two years. I was peased to find there were normal people out there when I switched jobs. I wonder what it was about that office. The jobs had lots of travel which I suppose means lots of opportunity but I'd like to think it would take more than opportunity for most people.

I had plenty of opportunities but never did anything. I just developed a reputation for being the woman in the group the guys could spill their guts to over dinner. I heard war stories and marriage stories and marriage stories that were war stories. I felt like I was supposed to be Dear Abby . Damn, I even attract guys who need fixing on business trips

Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
open marriage? no thanks
imagine how bad it would feel to find out your spouse is cheating on you. now add to that the fact that your spouse is "allowed" to do that in front of you. parade the other person around your home as if they are part of the family. they go out to dinner--you stay home or go out with someone yourself. what is the point of not marriage but monogamy/ a partnership of love, if this is ok?
imagine the confusion if you have children. i think people who are in an open marriage or think its a great thing are just lying to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships