Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember the TV show from the 60's about Felix Unger/Oscar Madison?

I loved that TV show better than the move with Jack Lemmon/Matthau.

How do you folks handle fundamental differences such as one person who is always late and the other who can't stand to be late and in fact likes to get places a few minutes early?

And before you use the C word (compromise), how do you deal with it?

What are some of the Odd Couple issues in your lives?

YouTube - the odd couple tv series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Anyone remember the TV show from the 60's about Felix Unger/Oscar Madison?

I loved that TV show better than the move with Jack Lemmon/Matthau.

How do you folks handle fundamental differences such as one person who is always late and the other who can't stand to be late and in fact likes to get places a few minutes early?

And before you use the C word (compromise), how do you deal with it?

What are some of the Odd Couple issues in your lives?

YouTube - the odd couple tv series
Easy. You fight to exhaustion and finally go your separate ways.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Easy. You fight to exhaustion and finally go your separate ways.
LOL. Funny. Gawd, I wonder how many relationships were doomed because one person is always late, and one is always in a hurry to get there 15 minutes early!

I have found it is far easier to just sit down at the computer and tell myself, its not worth a battle royale.

I thought it was a passive sort of control issue, but it's a personality quirk. Some people are just not concerned with being punctual. And it gets worse as you get older.

It boils down to acceptance. Of course telling your better half we have to leave NOW and emitting a heavy SIGH will get you nowhere!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:44 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Never really had the odd couple relationship in the form of timing...what was the difference, was, we had basically moral differences. In other words, are beliefs in marriage and loyalty were opposite.

I tried and tried, but the word compatible also means, moral and loyalty beliefs. His mother was very interfering...to the point I had to buy what she said...if there was a graduation (the family was huge) had to give what she said...she ruled the marriage. She, I don't believe, looking back, meant it maliciously...and meant well, but it drove me crazy...especially since her son chose to have other women. It was the belief of the family, and I was told, I wasn't going to change him, he was just like his father....and that I should keep quiet and deal with it?????

I left.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
It boils down to acceptance. Of course telling your better half we have to leave NOW and emitting a heavy SIGH will get you nowhere!
Well, it's easy to say, but how do you accept let's say missed expensive flights, screwed up credit history, and other such goodies due to personal "quirks"...

Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times
My husband and I are sort of opposites. I'm an uptight yuppie and he's a laid-back artsy type. And we see things in different ways. His goal in life - have fun and enjoy the moment. My goal - achievement, preparing for the future, stability.

How do we handle it? Well, it's not always perfect. But I try to go out more for him. And he tries to tone it down for me. And I remember that he adds the things to my life that I need. He's not my clone and I love him for that.

But yes, there are "fun" moments in our relationship lol..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships