Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm actually Baptist but I married into a Catholic family. Baptists aren't terribly keen on divorce either, but nothing like Catholics. I have an uncle who left the Catholic church because his parish would not allow him to re-marry. I'm sorry, but I have a difficult time believing that the Catholic church taught you that divorce is ok.
No offense Jim, but this is a typical misunderstanding on the part of our Protestant brothers and sisters. I did not say the church teaches that divorce is "okay" - I was responding to what you posted. Someone else said,

"I just don't understand why someone would think God would want them to stay in a bad relationship; that is not my belief."

And you said, "well, He does if you're Catholic."

And THAT is what is not true. (The God of Baptists is the God of Catholics, by the way )

The Catholic Church actually accepts the same circumstances for divorce that all other Christain churches do - abuse being #1. NO ONE in the Catholic authority would tell you today that you have to stay married to an abusive spouse, or a spouse that has committed adultry for that matter.
Divorce IS permitted and people are no longer turned away from communion because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
For me personally life has always been simple. To me, if you are in a relationship that is either not good for you, unhappy, irreconcilable, etc.. then you leave it. I never would condone that anyone stay in a relationship if they are not completely happy and have not tried all avenues to be happy (i.e., counseling, etc). If you're not happy, you leave. If you have kids and you think you are doing the kids a favor by staying you're not.
Kids see and know everything even when you think they don't. Better in my opinion to have two happy homes than one unhappy home.

If you are staying because financially you can't afford to leave, that isn't a reason either. Find a way.
If you are staying because you are concerned over what friends and family will say - who cares,it's your life.

Just my honest humble opinion.
Great post and to add to this-You cannot not let anyone drain your happiness. Happiness is achieved independently, and if a significant other is around they can only add to it. You cannot depend on someone else to make you happy.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
You cannot depend on someone else to make you happy.
Perhaps so. On the other hand, many manage to make you unhappy, even if you were happy to begin with.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No offense Jim, but this is a typical misunderstanding on the part of our Protestant brothers and sisters. I did not say the church teaches that divorce is "okay" - I was responding to what you posted. Someone else said,

"I just don't understand why someone would think God would want them to stay in a bad relationship; that is not my belief."

And THAT is what is not true. (The God of Baptists is the God of Catholics, by the way )

The Catholic Church actually accepts the same circumstances for divorce that all other Christain churches do - abuse being #1. NO ONE in the Catholic authority would tell you today that you have to stay married to an abusive spouse, or a spouse that has committed adultry for that matter.
Divorce IS permitted and people are no longer turned away from communion because of it.
But are you allowed to remarry? 14 years ago when I was married, the church did not permit divorced people get married by a priest.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
But are you allowed to remarry? 14 years ago when I was married, the church did not permit divorced people get married by a priest.
My mom couldn't remarry either. In fact, it's actually her remarriage that the Catholic church said damned her to hell. The divorce was never recognized by the church.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

You're right, I did misunderstand your intention.

And I well understand that the God of Baptists and Catholics are one and the same. The human infrastructure is what is different, which is the irony I was trying to express with the post referenced hereinabove.

I'm going to throw something out, tell me the first thing that jumps into your head...

"Catholics believe that forgiveness is a divine virtue, so they do not practice it." -Garrison Keillor

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You're right, I did misunderstand your intention.

And I well understand that the God of Baptists and Catholics are one and the same. The human infrastructure is what is different, which is the irony I was trying to express with the post referenced hereinabove.

I'm going to throw something out, tell me the first thing that jumps into your head...

"Catholics believe that forgiveness is a divine virtue, so they do not practice it." -Garrison Keillor

The Lords Prayer
Father forgive us, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I would stop warning him. That's only egging him on. I would live my life as I believe I should and let him coexist however he wants (so long as he's not abusive). You can't make him do anything. All you can do is what you're supposed to do.

I'm not sure of your interpretation of the scriptures where wives of unbelieving husbands are discussed, but I get the impression we're supposed to model our faith not preach at him and tell him he's wrong. I don't think men respond well to that. If anything that will provoke him.

Yours is a tough row to hoe. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Is there any possibility he's bi-polar? My father was and I remember him going off on rages. Didn't have much use for God either. But they usually try to self medicate so I'd be surprised if he is given he doesn't drink.
I only warn him when he's cursing Jesus to my face I try to keep the peace, but if I watched every little thing I did or said it still wouldn't be enough. When he wants to get angry - he will find something/anything as an excuse.

He's not bi-polar - he's just crazy. God give me Grace.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I only warn him when he's cursing Jesus to my face I try to keep the peace, but if I watched every little thing I did or said it still wouldn't be enough. When he wants to get angry - he will find something/anything as an excuse.

He's not bi-polar - he's just crazy. God give me Grace.
Just remember that nothing YOU do will change anything. So walk your walk.

My husband was like that when drinking. Didn't matter what I did, he'd find something to get angry about. Odds have it, what he's venting about isn't what he's really angry about. And I'd lay good odds his venting to/about Jesus is just to egg you on and give him another excuse to be angry with you.

If I were you, I'd try my darndest to give him absolutely no reason to ever be angry with me. It'll drive him nuts.

I wouldn't correct him at all and if he has anything negative to say, thank him for the constructive criticism.

All you can do is live your life your way and try not to step on his toes. No sense arguing with a crazy person. Just makes you look crazy too.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 AM

I agree, only thing is if he starts nagging the children unfairly - I defend them and he goes nuts because he says it is his job to discipline the kids!! No problem with fair discipline just he goes over the top - not physically - but nagging and I have no choice but to step in. My daughter is 13 and he can go on and on at ther sometimes!! My son is smart enough to suss him out and quick enough to keep him happy. But my daughter is a day dreamer and this winds up her dad.

I'll be honest here, I knew if I left my kids when they were young that I would have to let them go with their dad for long weekends and holidays etc. I didn't want him taking them off God knows where.....so I put up with him - I wanted the kids with me ALL the time.

Now, they are older, the daughter does not respect her Dad - that winds him up. My son, plays sport with his dad and mostly they get on ok. But my hubby getting at my daughter draws me in to arguing with him.

Other times, I might just ignore him or say "OK" and he won't be happy with that, he wants you to stop being "SARKY", he'll just go on goading you or nagging the kids to drag you into a row. He loves arguing!!!

Many, many times I have been on the verge of leaving but then his nice side came back - not that I was fooled, just that I thourght "OK, we'll carry on FOR NOW" How much longer I don't know. When the kids are grown up, if he's still alive and kicking mad, I will probably just wait till a row errupts and walk out, never to return. God knows I have my lilmits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships