Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYNO View Post
I think the counselor thinks (1) that I'm afraid of being alone and (2) that I have emotional damage from previous relationships and my childhood, and I'm not sure if she's right or not. I really love being alone most of the time, for one thing. So she's telling me that even if I met the love of my life right now, I wouldn't be "ready" for him because I haven't worked through all these old issues. I have to admit that I had to really think about this to try to understand if I had all that much "baggage" or if I'm just having a compatibility problem. I originally started seeing her several months ago to try to deal with "dating a widower" issues and to figure out if I was too picky or just bored, but I've gotten stuck in this limbo week after week, where she's telling me to "try different things" with this guy and saying "Your friends and family will like him if you talk him up", etc. I think she thinks I need a Steady Eddie kind of guy... and I keep searching to see if she might be right about that.... but my instincts are telling me that this Steady Eddie is nice, but not interesting enough, for me.
This is not the guy for you. He's boring, your friends don't like him, he's stuck in the routines of the past, and he has no interests. He doesn't even sound like good friend material to me. If your friend told you what you've told us wouldn't you tell your friend to move on? I think you would. Do not sell yourself short - you deserve more than this from a relationship. I'm sorry he's a widower, but that's not your problem.

You sound like a really nice person and nice people get stuck a lot because they are nice, they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and they give everyone a chance. I used to be this way too and I really got taken advantage of until I learned to say no and take care of myself. The most important thing you should learn is: Do not date charity cases.You deserve better, don't waste your time. When you find someone who you enjoy spending time with, who interests you, who offers more than stability, then it'd be worth your time and effort. Your instincts are right, your counselor is wrong. Trust yourself and you'll do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
If he is boring now just realize that at this stage he is probably putting his best foot forward and it will go downhill from here...
I would say my husband is boring and I'm the active, adventuresome one. I have learned to just go and do by myself but that gets old sometimes. We have counseled and she suggested we find some "new" interests that would bring us together but he really doesn't want to explore any. So we golf once in awhile and go out to eat. The rest of the time we do our own thing.
People are pretty much, especailly at this age, who they are going to be. If he is trying to be more "interesting" than it is sad that it takes effort for him to be that way...that won't last.
Enjoy the friendship as it is. It should be a big red flag if your family doesn't like him. Do they say why?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYNO View Post
...but I've gotten stuck in this limbo week after week, where she's telling me to "try different things" with this guy and saying "Your friends and family will like him if you talk him up", etc. I think she thinks I need a Steady Eddie kind of guy... and I keep searching to see if she might be right...
A therapist shouldn't be telling her client what to do. The therapist should be exploring ideas with you that YOU will eventually make decisions about. Giving advice defeats the whole purpose of therapy. If what you needed was advice, you could just ask your friends.

As others have said, trust your instincts. From everything that you've mentioned, it sounds as if this man is not for you.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
nice guys are boring.
bad boys are exciting. turn you into a 60 year old bunout loser, but exciting.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 68,933 times
Enjoy the friendship as it is. It should be a big red flag if your family doesn't like him. Do they say why?[/quote]

They think he's boring too!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nice guys are boring.
bad boys are exciting. turn you into a 60 year old bunout loser, but exciting.
No. Nice guys are NOT boring. My boyfriend is an extremely nice conservative guy, but he's very smart so we have much to talk about. And we have a lot of good times together without needing to get drunk or doing the other stuff that bad boys are known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships