Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times

Advertisements

I must have loved you back....sorry buddy!...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Here we go:

Four Temperaments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Much as night and day depend upon each other for their very existence, so too does happiness and sadness.

Without one you cannot define the other. To live in a world where everyone is perpetually happy is a nightmare worthy of a Steven King novel. Ditto for a world filled with sadness. It's the balance, as in all things, that is important.

In Chinese medicine diseases are described in many ways, but one of the most shocking to most people is that excessive happiness can bring about sickness.

I'm happy to have been so sad in my life, yet sad that I was so often deliriously happy.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Four Humours? Yes they did, and having too much or too little of one or the other would have then affected a person's health (according to the practice).

Props and reps to you for knowing about that! A history buddy!!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times
I only knew about two faces, I guess instead of reading I opted for the cartoon network...lol
I wonder if the people that got sick from excessive happiness got so with recreational booze and drugs or just smiling too much.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post

I think a lot more people can be happy if they choose to. It's like the glass half empty/half full analogy. If you constantly focus on what you don't have, you'll never be happy. However, if you focus on what you DO have, you can be happy.

That's the best answer right there...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
I've been thinking all day and came to the conclusion we've smartened up too much!

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know."
-- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
This may be an unpopular response, but I believe attitudes, good and bad, are a choice.

Being happy is a choice and many people choose to be unhappy. Some are defined by their woes and misfortunes and would cease to exist without constant complaining.

We only have today with no guarantee of a tomorrow, so why be miserable???
I absolutely agree. I am very happy with my life; I love my job (even after 27 years); I am quite happy with what I have. Do I have regrets? Yes, but I learned from those things and do not allow them to dictate the rest of my life. Do I have things I would like to change? Yes, but again, I do not allow those things to dictate my life. They just give me something to try to achieve.

I work with a couple of people who, I think, are making unhappiness into a profession. It seems as if their sole goal in life is to see how many other people they can make miserable and unhappy. I refuse to allow that to happen with me.

Life's too short to be unhappy every day. Besides, it really does drive people crazy when you are happy and they aren't!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Most people I see are very happy. They have nice homes, nice cars, they go on vacations, they go out, they shop and get what they like, they decorate their homes, plan for great retirements.
Me on the other hand are not in that situation, and I work very hard. So I wonder why I am so clueless as to the key they had and used to have a more optimal situation.
I think you may be confusing possessions with happiness. I have my own home (nothing fancy or expensive, but it is mine-bought as a single mom and paid for by many, many hours of hard work), I don't go and shop and get what I "like", necessities come first and then the decision as to whether or not I really "need" the other. Believe me, over the years, there have been a lot of things I would have liked, but could not afford. My home is not decorated by any stretch of the imagination...it's comfortable! I have never had the need or desire to "keep up with the 'Jones'". My vacations up till the last couple of years have basically been spent with my kids, playing catch up around the house and not having to go to work. Our vacations were "day trips", and playing games with each other. I will have a retirement...not one I will get rich off of, but one I have worked for and stayed in the same job for 27+ years to earn.

I am not complaining about my life. Everything I have, I have worked for up to and including 400+ hours of overtime a year! Even with the work and "not having" the "good" life, I am still happy. I think I may be even happier than some of the ones with the fancy houses and cars and furniture and expensive vactions because I take the time to enjoy what I have and not worry about the rest of it.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I'm not unhappy! I'm happy in my marriage (wouldn't change a thing about my husband), and don't have any regrets about what I have or haven't done in my life.

I think a lot more people can be happy if they choose to. It's like the glass half empty/half full analogy. If you constantly focus on what you don't have, you'll never be happy. However, if you focus on what you DO have, you can be happy.

Life is too short to be miserable.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships