Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:48 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times

Advertisements

I think it would be equal. Ugly is ugly. Neither gender is likely to be in a relationship unless (A) they have something else going for them (personality, money etc) or (B) they settle for someone whom they consider to be ugly.

I've never understood (b). Why would anyone settle? If the person is not a 10 in your eyes why are you with them? I just can't relate to that.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I've never understood (b). Why would anyone settle? If the person is not a 10 in your eyes why are you with them? I just can't relate to that.
You'd be surprised what people do to avoid being alone.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yep. Some will just take what they can get. And the mind is a funny thing. Sometimes you can even fool yourself into things. Say it and/or think it enough, you may come to believe it.

It's sad this happens to some people. But that's the imperfect part of the world. Everyone wants certain things. But everyone will not get them. So they either go completely without, or settle.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:03 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Yes, but, to me, either I have romantic feelings for someone or I don't. Sexual attraction is a matter of degree, but generally I don't experience "this person I love slightly, whereas this other person I love a lot more". I find that either I'm in love with them or I feel no romantic feelings at all. So if I were to settle, I would be trying to force myself to have feelings that just aren't there.

I could settle in terms of who I have sex with, but not in terms of romantic relationships.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:49 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yes, but, to me, either I have romantic feelings for someone or I don't. Sexual attraction is a matter of degree, but generally I don't experience "this person I love slightly, whereas this other person I love a lot more". I find that either I'm in love with them or I feel no romantic feelings at all. So if I were to settle, I would be trying to force myself to have feelings that just aren't there.

I could settle in terms of who I have sex with, but not in terms of romantic relationships.

Gross

Old 06-18-2016, 06:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Ugly men should date ugly women, everyone wins.

The ugly guy gets the sex he wants every night and the ugly girl gets the relationship

Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
I guess ugly women have it worse.

I say that because men are very visually motivated. Women are motivated cerebrally, so once we get past the physical and start to see other aspects of this multi-dimensional man, he can become extremely sexy.

I don't think ugly women should throw in the towel though. Having a harder time at finding the right person might prove to be the best for everyone. You at least don't have to waste so much time filtering through all the BS. Beauty is only skin deep, and doesn't last forever.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
Men. No matter what a woman looks like, there will always a guy with more libido than self-respect.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Women will always have it easier when it comes to getting dates, relationships, and sex. Why they deny this I have no clue.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, then again, some people wizen up a bit and realize that "10 in our eyes" (as the person Ruth quoted above commented) may be less "all that" deep down than the less-than-10 who really is a great match in a number of ways.

Why do people "settle" for a "less than 10? Because we grow up and begin seeing people as whole people and because we stop seeing ourselves as the single final gift to the female (or male) species ourselves, even though Mommy always told us how amazingly above the norm we were. We grow up, period. We move past that 12-year-old "I'm going to marry Celebrity X" phase and we start looking more closely at people who are real people with both good and bad points, and few of whom look like runway models...but can be amazing. You know...people just like us.

We stop being so ego-driven (as we leave childhood) and (also as we leave childhood) we stop seeing people as cardboard cutouts, who can disappoint us with a single imperfection, and then, we finally find real relationships.

Or...some of us do. Others never move past adolescence emotionally in this way and overall, are unhappy and generally alone, or manage to "buy" relationships temporarily, get hurt, then go back and do the same thing all over again, endlessly.

Now.

If "10 in our eyes" is a more mature view of people, say, simply a kind personality, smarts and self-sufficiency, looks or prestige notwithstanding, and we settle for less than THAT, sure, that could be a person who just can't be alone, but somehow I doubt that's what we're talking about here, particularly given the point of the thread (which is looks, specifically).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships