Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

314 posts, read 719,245 times

Advertisements

What a draining situation you are in-yes, shut off the phones, set some boundaries and remind them gently you need to help your children thru this time. People grieve in many ways but each person needs to find their own way. Save your strength for your immediate family and the others will find their way. Blessings to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
/hug

Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
They're calling you because...you're smart, JerZ. We see your intelligence shine through here in your posts. I bet you would be a great friend to have IRL. And no, I'm not saying this to get rep. I mean it sincerely.

You write many great down-to-earth posts here without a hint of arrogance or pretension, which are refreshing to read. You're one of the people I read here where I go to myself after reading your posts,"Yeah! YEAH! Yeah!"

Your family and extended family must see it too. You ARE the go-to girl!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Thanks, everybody.

Oh, ((cricket)). (sniffle) Darn, I'll tell you, that really did make me cry. Thanks, sista sista.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I would take it as a compliment this grieving family is reaching out to you. You are obviously a voice of reason, a shoulder to cry on and their rock of Gibraltar. Now, that does not mean you are not exhausted and need a break.

My heart really goes out to you and your family. Do you have a friend to vent these feelings to?(in between taking all of their calls, OF COURSE!)

Just let your phone ring instead of answering it. Maybe you could answer every third call from them. Weed them out, so to speak.

Hang in there. We are all pulling for you!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I would take it as a compliment this grieving family is reaching out to you. You are obviously a voice of reason, a shoulder to cry on and their rock of Gibraltar. Now, that does not mean you are not exhausted and need a break.

My heart really goes out to you and your family. Do you have a friend to vent these feelings to?(in between taking all of their calls, OF COURSE!)

Just let your phone ring instead of answering it. Maybe you could answer every third call from them. Weed them out, so to speak.

Hang in there. We are all pulling for you!
Thank you, mrstewart. Yes, I do have a talk-it-out buddy...my sister on the east coast. She's still "carrying" her in-laws emotionally following the death of her husband (their only son) two years ago, so she understands. I did give her a jingle yesterday and we talked about it a bit...It was funny because I kept saying "Get me the hell away from here! Let me come visit you" and she kept saying, "Get me the hell away from here...I need to go visit you!"

So what we arrived at was: We're both just going to ditch it all and run away to a commune in Oregon.

I do love these people so I'm just joking to let off steam...I do want to be there for them, I just need a bit to think things out for myself too, you know?

Thanks for letting me whimper like a nancy.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:57 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
Can I come to Oregon with you JerZ?????

I could tell by your posts last week that you were going to be the pillar of strength for that family- and I'm glad you're seeing the effects of it and rethinking your position.

Let the answering machine pick up and limit yourself to a certain number of calls or minutes per day. Give the rest of your energy to yourself and your husband. And focus on your grief and loss in all of this.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Unplug your house phones and shut off your cell phone for a few hours a day, or better yet, lose your cell phone for the next week. They are calling you because you are probably on the outside holding it together better than anyone else involved. But if you aren't available to talk, they can feel better just by leaving you a message and then they will call up the next person on their list. I think that it's perfectly okay to not take their calls, you need some alone time to recharge. A big downside to having cell phones is that everyone thinks that everyone else should be available 24/7 and at their beck and call. These people will be just fine if they can't talk to you. Saving your sanity is more important than being their crutch.

Big hugs,
miu
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks, ((miu)).

My husband just told me the same thing..."Shut off the phone!" He's mentally exhausted too. It's really more my responsibility to comfort him than anyone else...I love them all but they need to lean on each other a bit too.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Excellent suggestions - let the calls go to voicemail for a while.
Yes, I agree. Pirategirl and mrstewart also said it. Don't be so available. Only take the calls that you feel up to taking. Or return them when YOU feel like doing it. And don't worry about it, if they complain about it. Don't feel bad about it at all. You can't continue to help or support them if you don't have a chance to re-charge and rest yourself.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
JerZ... caller ID and an answering machine with a huge storage capacity!

But to answer honestly, although you and I have not seen eye-to-eye on some issues (okay... MANY issues), you still normally have solid, stable, thought out, and articulate points of views and responses. If we are able to see it in the forums here, how much more you must provide in real life. I think your family sees that in you.. your intelligence, your compassion, and your straight-forwardness (real word?).

In any case, although it may not seem like it now, there is a reason they are talking to YOU... and it should be considered a compliment.

I've never been in your situation, so I don't have experienced wisdom to give you.. but sometimes... and I would imagine especially now... you need time for yourself (and your husband). The longer you are supporting everyone else, the longer it will be before you are able to grieve for the situation yourself.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Jerz,

I'm sorry you're being put through this. Try to stay strong. Grief is a hard process to get through but you'll get through it. Feel free to vent away as needed.

Make sure you're taking care of you. Go for a walk, a drive, out to a movie. Get away from the phone for a time.

Ivory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships