Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Doesn't this now beg the question who would you run over in 1925, Hitler or his dog?
LOL...you're right. Of course, if you have foreknowledge, then that is an easy choice. But if you don't have foreknowledge, do you run over the dog or the guy with the goofy haircut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
LOL...you're right. Of course, if you have foreknowledge, then that is an easy choice. But if you don't have foreknowledge, do you run over the dog or the guy with the goofy haircut?
Well you did know, actually, I chose 1925 because it's the year Mein Kampf was published.

I adore my cats, but yes, I'd save the man. Unless it was Hitler or his ilk. Dictator's going down!!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Cat person here. They're smarter, cleaner, and lower maintenance. Dogs are OK, but I have no desire to have one...too much work, the yard becomes a big minefield of dog poop, and the house smells like dog.

Cats for me.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
I generally like cats better. Just a short haired tabby will do. Low maintenance. But I've had some cats in the past that were a real pain in the backside. Animals, like children, are all different and have different personalities. Some are laid back and some just have ADD or some other mental issue. Some just sit around looking out the window and some are always into something and looking for trouble.

Prior to meeting my wife she had promised her daughter that if they ever lived in a house that they could get a dog. I'm not a dog person at all. So I said that if we had to get a dog at least make it a small one. So we got a Chitzu/Palmaranian mix. That is the dumbest dog ever. I swear I will never have another dog. The damn thing barely knew her name for the first 3 years, was nearly impossible to house train (will still dump in the floor without informing you of her desire to go outside), has to be groomed regularly, etc etc. I never knew having a dog would be such hard work. With cats you just show them where the litter box is and it's like they know exactly what to do with it without any effort at all.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay, I call 'baloney' on that one. You are driving down the freeway. A grown man and a dog are standing in the middle of the road. There's no way you can stop, and you'll hit one of the two. Which one do you hit?
Since were going the hypothetical route, I'll say it depends. I'll hit whoever poses the least amount of danger to me. Assuming that there are no other vehicles or steep embankments, I'll hit the dog because there would be less of an impact. However, if I'm driving next to a 18-wheeler and see the two, I will whoever I can swerve into without hitting the truck. If I'm sandwiched between two vehicles and there is no way for me to swerve into another lane without hitting a car or truck, I'll just have to hit both of them.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
That is the dumbest dog ever. I swear I will never have another dog. The damn thing barely knew her name for the first 3 years, was nearly impossible to house train (will still dump in the floor without informing you of her desire to go outside), has to be groomed regularly, etc etc. I never knew having a dog would be such hard work. With cats you just show them where the litter box is and it's like they know exactly what to do with it without any effort at all.
Maybe you shoudl invest in some training for your dog? Also sweeping statements are annoying. Different breeds have different needs both of cats and dogs. Some cats need to be groomed, some dogs don't.

Our small dog needs to be groomed occasionally too. Why didn't you know this before you got the dog? Our dog on the other hand is super easy to deal with. Very like a cat in many ways - does tricks, doesn't bark, shed or chew up stuff that isn't hers and is generally a delight to be around.

We went to training courses and still occassionally go, just because she enjoys it. If you don't want to spend the time training your dog to go to the bathroom in the right place, then why on earth would you get a dog? I just don't understand this.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Maybe you shoudl invest in some training for your dog?
See, that's another big difference in the war between dogs and cats - dogs, for the most part, need training - cats just know.

Cats, dogs, people - I can deal with most of them, but the one critter I can't take as a pet is - finches. Those cute, tiny little birdies that are so colorful? I had a few many, many years ago - they act like little Woody Allen's - if you so much as cough in the same room as their cage they'll go ballistic and bounce around like a bomb just went off. I swear, they're little feathered freaks with major complexes.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,629 times
I am a cat person. I love cats. I like dogs as well, but I prefer the former. I have 2

Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
Here is my cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM5160.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	22839

Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
See, that's another big difference in the war between dogs and cats - dogs, for the most part, need training - cats just know.
Thank you! Finally somebody admitted it! Might be on the wrong thread , but we're not THAT picky!

Good doggie!

http://www.ljcfyi.com/ljcsProjects/c...okie_oscar.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships