Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I've had many cats ...I currently have 3.

http://liferants.files.wordpress.com.../red-flag1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
I've had one cat I liked, great big black cat with huge paws that used to run down the mountain behind our house and came home when he felt like it, would play hard all day then curl up on the floor next to me at night and pass out. I think he was a dog in a former life. We named him Spot.

I'm a dog person.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,224,890 times
Dog person. I do like cats but much prefer dogs.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I ususally wouldn't respond to this, but I'm kinda bored right now. I'm actually shocked by Miu's response. I usually agree with you on most of your posts, but this is scary. I can understand your love for animals, being an animal lover myself and having a houseful of cats and dogs, but my goodness, if I had a choice to save your life or my dog's life, I would choose you without even batting an eye.
That makes sense, certainly. But, I have to say, I might choose my dog instinctively. You see, when I walk my dog, I am constantly on the lookout for cars, trucks, other dogs, etc., that might harm my precious pup. When I hear a vehicle coming behind us, I pull my dog to the side of the road that is safe, obviously realizing that someone would be less inclined to hit a human, than to hit a dog. I am his constant protector (and he, mine, I'm sure, if the situation called for my dog to protect me).

I am not saying that a dog's life is more important than a human's, but I am saying I'll make it damn sure that I use every last bit of strength to protect him. I adopted him, he is my responsibility, and I hold that responsibility in high regards.

So, God forbid, were something life-threatening to happen, I'm certain I would probably throw myself on top of him in order to protect him, if only out of instinct.

In fact, in my new neighborhood, an unknown canine entity did come upon us on a walk (a large pit bull, nothing against the breed, the dog just came out of nowhere and behaved in a threatening manner), and I basically covered my dog with my entire body, so as not to let him get possibly mauled. As it turned out, the irresponsible owner was walking his dog without a leash, and after a few moments, all was well.

Still, it reinforced the belief in me that I am responsible for this innocent creature's well-being, and I will not let anything happen to him, as much as is in my power.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
Depends, I like my cat stir fried and my dog swee n sour, so I would have to say it depends on my mood and what I had for lunch that day. LOL

Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times
woof

Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
hate cats...not because of them, but because of their owners, where I lived before, all our neighbors had tons of em, and they'd leave em outside to run...they're isn't anyting more revolting to me, then to go out and start working in the garden and ya stick your hands in something that wants to make you vomit...I'm also allergic to cats...

definately a dog and horse person, used to raise dobies, last dog was a redbone coonhound, and owned two horses...also had a begal, and a black lab...great animals....

would love to get an Italian Greyhound when I retire, they are really sweet dogs.

anyone have any?

Creme

Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
My little sister wanted an Italian Greyhound in the worst way years ago. I discouraged her because they seemed so fragile. In addition, they are awfully fast, so if it escapes before you have it fully trained, they are very difficult to catch. Also, one of my rich customers had one. Her husband was French and as they went back and forth from Boston to Paris, she'd have it in a special dog carrier with her on the seat next to her. It was a very beautiful dog. I was a pug owner at the time.

I prefer a sturdier animal. I also prefer mutts over purebreds. I met a woman several months ago that owns two Affenpinschers. Boy are they rare and expensive!! But I think that a mini schnauzer is very similar (having had one as a kid), more available and much cheaper to buy. I think that she really liked the idea of having a rare dog, but I was not envious of her. I want my dogs for their good companionship, not to show or breed them.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:34 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My little sister wanted an Italian Greyhound in the worst way years ago. I discouraged her because they seemed so fragile. In addition, they are awfully fast, so if it escapes before you have it fully trained, they are very difficult to catch. Also, one of my rich customers had one. Her husband was French and as they went back and forth from Boston to Paris, she'd have it in a special dog carrier with her on the seat next to her. It was a very beautiful dog. I was a pug owner at the time.

I prefer a sturdier animal. I also prefer mutts over purebreds. I met a woman several months ago that owns two Affenpinschers. Boy are they rare and expensive!! But I think that a mini schnauzer is very similar (having had one as a kid), more available and much cheaper to buy. I think that she really liked the idea of having a rare dog, but I was not envious of her. I want my dogs for their good companionship, not to show or breed them.

thanks so much for the feedback, it certainly gives me food for thought...used to love big dogs...but now prefer a much smaller dog which doesn't shed as much...
maybe I won't even get one...I'm kinda used to it now?

thanks
creme

Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
My pug and my cat used to play together in my apartment. They would run down the hallway and take turns chasing each other. Pug was a very muscle dog and even with me, she would give me little body check bumps against my legs as we walked together. I just envisioned my pug and an Italian greyhound played and my pug body checking her off her feet. lol.

Then I remember one story of a whippet getting loose from her crate at an airport and how no one could catch her. So... that's why I like to adopt adult dogs and not energetic young puppies. I was nervous when adopting my lab because I had an 1100 mile drive home. He was still fearful of me and all humans and the shelter warned me ominously that if he got loose, I would never catch him. I also found out later on that he could be only secured on a chain or steel cable tie down... when left alone, he can quickly chew through anything else! His retractable leash now has several repair knots in it. But by the time we found out, he was used to me and preferred to stay near my house. Whew!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships