Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 AM

167 posts, read 491,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
2. The mobile phones. Okay, I'm not a mobile phone Nazi. They are a convenience, and a pretty darned good one. But if my mobile phone buzzes at the library, I go elsewhere to return the call. Yet, this forty-something woman two tables away from me not only took the call but sat at her work table yakking away until I gave her the hairy eyeball--and I have honed that to a fine skill after 14 years of parenting.
That's effective when the person has a conscience. At the risk that they don't, my advice is to join in the conversation. I have done this many times, and it has proven very effective.

So when they actually pick up and say hi really loudly, you say hi to them. Just proceed to talk loudly as if you are responding to them and they are responding to you. Pretty soon, they will leave out of embarassment or just out of plain fear of the weirdo (you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

312 posts, read 1,014,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harahap View Post
That's effective when the person has a conscience. At the risk that they don't, my advice is to join in the conversation. I have done this many times, and it has proven very effective.

So when they actually pick up and say hi really loudly, you say hi to them. Just proceed to talk loudly as if you are responding to them and they are responding to you. Pretty soon, they will leave out of embarassment or just out of plain fear of the weirdo (you).

HAHA!

I will be sure to try this out

Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,703,931 times
If I want to be in my own world, I put my IPod with Bose headphones on and I am happy......I can even read with those babies on.

By the way, I too can give that hairy eyeball look ...I think I am a pro. My kids are grown but I have grandkids and run a day care. That was my tool!
Have a great day.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM

621 posts, read 3,197,469 times
This topic is so very fitting for me. I think I just have a low tolerance for annoying behavior so I will keep the list short

-when I used to wait tables I always found it so rude when the people were still on their cell phones when I came to greet the table and they held up their hand to basically tell me to wait! UGH....well I would wait alright but so would they, they would be lucky if I came back w/in 10 min. So rude...get off the phone!

-or the people who would let their children run loose in a restaurant while they ate...hello we have HOT food in our hands, we can't see little children...I've actually dropped a whole tray of food because of a kid (and the previous poster who was saying about the kid jumping in the booth and what the parents said!! I can't believe that? I would have definitely given them a piece of my mind) It comes down to control your children when out to eat..if you can't take them outside...I don't have children and don't want to listen to anyone else's why I'm trying to enjoy my meal.

-people in the left lane driving super slow....get over!

-people who take up the entire walkway in the store so that you can't get by w/out asking them to move

-the guy who proceeds to whistle all day at my work...like anyone else wants to hear that??? It's a quiet office....I don't want to hear what's stuck in your head!

Ok I think that's enough for now...but I could go on and on....LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM

123 posts, read 294,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This seems to be the appropriate category for this post.

Okay. I'm a writer. I spend large amounts of time in the library (In fact, that's where I am right now). I'm not some decrepit old fart who reminisces about the Good Old Days of etiquette. At the same time, I'm sitting here wondering how so many people can be so inconsiderate of others. Here, from my humble little library table, are some of the things I've observed in the past 15 minutes.

1. The gaggle of little old men over in the periodicals corners who treat the library as if it is a coffee shop. Evidently, their hearing aids were left at home, because these guys are really, really loud. Hey! Get a clue. It's a library!

2. The mobile phones. Okay, I'm not a mobile phone Nazi. They are a convenience, and a pretty darned good one. But if my mobile phone buzzes at the library, I go elsewhere to return the call. Yet, this forty-something woman two tables away from me not only took the call but sat at her work table yakking away until I gave her the hairy eyeball--and I have honed that to a fine skill after 14 years of parenting.

3. Speaking of mobile phones, there was a guy not ten feet away from me in a comfortable chair, idly reading a magazine. He picked up his mobile phone and (Quite loudly, I might add) called somebody. He said, "Hi, Chris. Are you at the house already? Can you get in? Oh. Well, I'm kind of running late, so I'll be there in about 20 minutes. Can you wait? Okay. Good." Then what does he do? HE GOES BACK TO READING THE MAGAZINE AND LEAVES FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER. First he lied about running late, then he let poor Chris cool his heels while he read a magazine fifteen more minutes.

What's the deal? Let's make a game of it, and describe the inconsiderate people you've encountered today.
speaking of common courtesy. you're nosey and need to mind your own business

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,846,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furry_playstation View Post
speaking of common courtesy. you're nosey and need to mind your own business

Nosey?! The OP would like these boobs to be invisible and SILENT. By talking loudly on your stupid cell phone in public you force other people to hear details of your pathetic personal life that they DO NOT want to hear.

I'm sure you think people are fascinated by your end of a phone conversation and are hanging on every word you utter about why you were fired from yet another minimum wage job, but the truth is NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR SILLY PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,670,980 times
Exclamation Bravissimo Elmonellie!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Nosey?! The OP would like these boobs to be invisible and SILENT. By talking loudly on your stupid cell phone in public you force other people to hear details of your pathetic personal life that they DO NOT want to hear.

I'm sure you think people are fascinated by your end of a phone conversation and are hanging on every word you utter about why you were fired from yet another minimum wage job, but the truth is NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR SILLY PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS.
I was gonna post a somewhat scathing (for me anyway LOL) reply, but you took the words right out of my mouth! My wife, god bless her, is always on me to keep my cool because, like cg35223, yourself, and a lot of other folks on this thread, I have absolutely NO PATIENCE WHATSOEVER WITH RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE!!! NONE!!! I can't count the number of times she has had to almost physically lead me away from either A) cussing four layers of skin off of someone's obnoxious, ill-behaved, boorish kids, or B) wanting to rip a cell phone or a Bluetooth off someone and chucking it as far as I can...NEWSFLASH--The rest of us don't want to hear where you're going for after-work brewskis, or you disciplining your kids/yelling at your spouse, or any other of your lame attempts to seem important to the masses...unless you are The Almighty come to earth in some physical form, you are NOT all that! Shut the frack up and let the rest of us live in something resembling peace and quiet...and to the fella who had the temerity to suggest that CG35223 was nosey and should mind his own business, I offer the following words of wisdom... get over yourself, Slappy! Last time I looked this world was NOT the exclusive dominion of the Young and Clueless

Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,564,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
-when I used to wait tables I always found it so rude when the people were still on their cell phones when I came to greet the table and they held up their hand to basically tell me to wait! UGH....well I would wait alright but so would they, they would be lucky if I came back w/in 10 min. So rude...get off the phone!
Ugh! I'm not a waitress, but when I'm in a restaurant, and I see people doing this I want to smack the S*it outta them.

All the kids in my neighborhood have cell phones. I'm talking about starting at 7 years old and up. Each sibling has their own phone. I REFUSE to buy my kids cell phones. If my daughter goes to a sleepover I will give her my cell phone to call me in case of an emergency but that is it. I just don't undertand this. These kids all bring their cell phones to school too. Why aren't these banned from school?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,703,931 times
MSJACK......I HAD a dentist who would lean over you and sing EVERY song that was on the radio while he is my mouth.....this got so uncomfortable and he had a really bad voice. I was glad when the commercials came on. I am a very tolerent person but this was horrible.

Anyone know a good dentist???

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,079,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraaz View Post
duct tape's cheaper!:d
rofl!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships