Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
That's what I been doing wrong! I'm gonna start cruising the convents looking for nuns!
Theyy still love god, their just no longer "in love" w him!
That's a big enough difference to make it worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Everybody BUT you I take it...?
I'm a total failure you inventory taking little minx

Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
I'm a total failure you inventory taking little minx
LOL, perhaps we should make an anonymous poll to see how we rate ourselves in the failure department. If we're all failures, what business do we have giving opinions... much less advice...

Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
LOL, perhaps we should make an anonymous poll to see how we rate ourselves in the failure department. If we're all failures, what business do we have giving opinions... much less advice...
When I'm emotionally detached..I'm quite profound at giving advice. Really good, solid advice. THE PROBLEM IS I'm just another higher primate sometimes ruled by emotions!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
It's one thing to realize you made a mistake and decide you need to fix it. How many of us have taken a job only to discover it was all wrong for us? I moved to a city thinking it was the right place for me and less than 2 years later, I realized I made a mistake and am looking to move again. And maybe you got involved with someone who seemed nice but then they turned out to be an awful person. In those cases, it makes to sense to look for something better. But when you're already happy with someone, when there's nothing wrong, and yet you still find yourself wondering if you could do even better, that's just being incredibly selfish. When you feel like you can just discard someone cause someone better comes along, that speaks to the kind of person you are.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
When I'm emotionally detached..I'm quite profound at giving advice. Really good, solid advice. THE PROBLEM IS I'm just another higher primate sometimes ruled by emotions!
Yeah, the problem is mainly in following our good advices ourselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But when you're already happy with someone, when there's nothing wrong, and yet you still find yourself wondering if you could do even better, that's just being incredibly selfish. When you feel like you can just discard someone cause someone better comes along, that speaks to the kind of person you are.
Believe me, these people will learn their lessons the hard way. Chances are they're going to find worse, not better; or nothing at all. And considering their mentality, the outcome shouldn't come as a surprise, either.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the problem is mainly in following our good advices ourselves...

Dr. Phil supposedly fixes marriages. I noticed his wife threw him out of the house recently.

Heather locklear is perfect in every way,yet she's so distraught she hasn't found me she's in a rehab, poor thing.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Dr. Phil supposedly fixes marriages. I noticed his wife threw him out of the house recently.
Oh, noooo! At least he could boast about having a good marriage - certainly helps in his line of work. Remember reading a huge interview with him and his wife a few years ago and everything sounded peachy... Oh, well, you never know - perhaps the peaches were rotten already and finally fell off the tree.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I saw this article which talks about how part of the reason people aren't happy these days is because they're always looking for something or someone better.

Karen Salmansohn: Today's #1 Dating Problem: Love Maximization - Living on The Huffington Post

And it makes a lot of sense. We as a culture don't seem to settle anymore. In the old days, people stuck with the same job for decades. Now, we change jobs every 3 years. It could be for more money, better benefits, better hours, or plenty of other reasons. The point is that we're convinced there's always a better job out there. And it seems like we do that with our relationships as well. A person could be with someone who makes them happy, but they might also be wondering if they could do better. They're bombarded by images of people who are thinner, younger, sexier, funnier, etc. and start to think they've settled too much. Maybe that's why divorce and infidelity are more common these days. In the end, it says a lot about the person that they're willing to discard their partner for what they think is someone better. Maybe we're just a culture of spoiled children who can't appreciate what we have.
No, you're talking about the evolutionary trait that drives us to invent and improve. If we were happy with what we had, we'd still be living in caves. It's that we are never satisified for long that drives us to improve our world. Unfortunately, it spills over into our relationships and when we run out of new things to do, we often leave.

The pattern is date, plan a wedding, plan having children, have children, get bored, get divorced. Many marriages hit crisis after children are born not because the children changed things but because they just ran out of new things to do to make life different. Dating to marriage is usually only a couple of years, then often it's only a few years to kids. Suddenly, you've signed up to same thing different day for the next 20 years.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:44 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Heather locklear is perfect in every way,yet she's so distraught she hasn't found me she's in a rehab, poor thing.
Geeze, I forgot - she wanted me to give this to you...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships