U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,166,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
The US as a society is euro-centric when it comes to the perceived value of race. Therefore a white male is less likely to want to procreate with a black woman than a white woman, or even an asian woman of whiter skin (aka. Japanese/Chinese over Filipino/Pacific Islander). Said relationships, with the advent of cultural icons such as John and Kate plus 8, with their multiple twins, along with the increase of white couples adopting asian babies, have encased white man/asian woman relationships and their offspring in a sort of " that chinese baby is cute" factor. In general however, they are still evaluated socially in a de facto caste system where the whiter your kids are the better off they will be, which is socially GENERICALLY true. Mileage will vary of course.

It's engrained in our culture. White skin is attractive from a cultural valuation perspective. If you were caucassian and lived for an extended period of time in Japan you'd come to consider certain features of local Asian women as attractive, not because all of the sudden it became so, but because we adapt our hard-wiring to the cultural and social valuations of those around us to our own condition in the hopes that our offspring will succeed. Black men/ white (and most often thicker, not a coincidence) women are another classic illustration of such trend. It's all about perceived social valuations.

Is it PC? No. Is it an abosolute condition? No, otherwise they'd be NO interracial offsprings. Should it change? (Perhaps the essence of your initial question). That will depend on the color of your skin, callous as it sounds. As a white man of Hispanic descent myself, engaged to a caucasian woman, I am not above this society's cultural vices and will not stand on a white ivory tower and suggest said valuations don't have anything to do with the fact that I am not generally attracted to black females, particularly the darker their skin. I like to believe it's because I am genetically attracted to peers who look just like me (reasonable explanation on the biological realm, and my fiance looks just like me) but once again I take some social accountability for the fact that (say if as a Hispanic I had brown skin or black skin and STILL felt attracted to white women) that our euro-centric social structure may play a part in such "intangibles". My $0.02
This is an absolutely brilliant post. I think you covered all the bases. The first sentence says it all: Euro-centric. I am of European descent and my parents came to the U.S. from Western Europe. I am very in tune with my heritage and feel that I have more in common with those who share it. Bottom line: I've only dated caucasian women. I don't apologize for this. In fact, I've usually dated caucasian women whose parents came from outside the U.S. and spoke another language in the home.

Since you mention you are Hispanic, you then know the "canyon" that exists within the various Hispanic groups and the attention they pay to their anthropological roots. The Hispanic person whose roots are clearly on the European continent will let you know that in a hurry (referring to friends I've had from Chile, Argentina, Cuba, etc.)

Back to the subject matter -- I've seen white guys with black women. While it's not common, the guys are usually with black women who have "whiter" features. Sorry. They're not dating Tracy Chapman who, in my mind, is a talent to be reckoned with. I don't think it's because they're "strong," as someone said in an earlier post. A strong man can usually "hold his own" with a strong woman. Also, I would describe most of the black women I know as direct and realistic as, in many cases, their lives have not been "sugar coated."

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 08-19-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM

201 posts, read 705,781 times
maybe they are too small

Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 21,587 times
First lets start off bay saying that dark skin is sexy and that there are many beautiful black women that many white men would love to date but there is a stigma in black culture of black women dating white men.

In highschool i thought one of the most beautiful girls i new was black and when i asked her out she said she would love to but that another friend of mine had asked her out and she said he acted to white and she would never date a white guy. So she gives him a date and we have one scheduled the week after that they date for about a month but by the time its over im in a relationship with a hispanic girl.

Black women need to wake up. Black men arent waiting for you and you just aren't meeting. They are dating white , asain , and hispanic women. But you wouldn't believe the fights and arguements ive had for dating a black women. You truly have to be willing to fight for that relationship because you really aren't accpeted in any culture.

I've heard the many sayings also like black men dont love white women they are just playing them. But they aren't coming back around.

One thing to white men who want to date a Black women. YOU have to show a lot of back bone. Because its not an easy relationship by far. Ive dated every race but there truly is a lot of hardsips. When my grandparents found out i married a black women they never talked to me again. Her parents cam around eventually but i really had to be on point with her father and mother and show them i truly loved her.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,595,953 times
It's preference. Most white men prefer white women. Simple.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,289,298 times
Where have you been, I asked a few months ago if anyone else noticed the INCREASE of white men/black women couples. They are everywhere, in every age group I have noticed ALOT of 17-22ish year old guys with black women, these black girls are always the same type. Very well dressed, well spoken (no slang) nice figures and cute.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 32,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
It's preference. Most white men prefer white women. Simple.

This is true, if you look at statistics-- as well as most Black women prefer Black men. But there are some exceptions to everything.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 32,394 times
I think that a lot of it is that White men do not want to go through the hassle of dealing with the racial baggage that comes with dating a Black woman. Many would sleep with a Black woman in private, but they would not bring her around to their friends or family because they are too afraid of what others may think. I'm a Black female and I've dated different ethnic groups of men-- White men included. I've come across White men who would like to be with me in private and those were the types I'd run away from. Why be with someone who is ashamed of you? I'm currently married to a White man and he's from the UK-- he was the type that did not care what anyone thought. That is one of the reasons why I love him. It's about respecting people for their differences and moving beyond color.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,322,888 times
It depends on where you live, I think. Where I live I don't know that they're common, but I wouldn't say they're uncommon either. Hard to say because you see so many different types of "mixes" here. I think it is more of a socio-economic thing than a race thing these days. Race matters less than socio-economic status for many people. For them, $$$ trumps everything else. Okay, and shared values, education level, and goals in life, etc., which when you think about it all leads back to $$$/class being more of a factor than anything else, IMO...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,174,854 times
Most white guys dont want to date black women and vice versa.
White guys are more open to date someone hispanic or asian.
Seems like 70% of Interacial couples are black men/white women(from observation).

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

430 posts, read 866,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've heard the same about Native American women. They get very upset when their men date or marry outside their race, especially with white women.
Riigght. I know a lot of half-breeds and pure Indians who are dating white guys and vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships