Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,855 times

Advertisements

As a young man, I still believe that Motown music makes a night together go from nice to incredible.

This music lives and breathes. It preaches to you about people in love (and the broken hearted) and makes you want to feel exactly the way the singer feels. It's like they're speaking directly to you and the person you love. Even the songs with lyrics that anything but upbeat ("What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin, for example) still had an aire of love and optimism about them. It's the music. That driving beat. That harmony.

It's like being in a simpler time, really. A time when being completely in love with someone was all that mattered. She's not checking her phone and texting her friends. He's not dicking around with his I-Phone. They're just slow dancing to a classic.

So what does this have to do with relationships? Well, everything. I think my generation (I'm 23) has completely lost touch with romance as a whole. I also think music has a lot to do with it, believe it or not. There are too many songs glorifying anything but love. Where has the soul gone? The work that goes with going through hardship and pain for someone? The love behind the words? Even if we do manage to have a song or two that deals with such things, it still just doesn't measure up to those love songs of the 1960's. Most of the time, it's just song twit teenager crooning about "being in love" when said singer just got their driver's license the week before. Call me an old soul if you will, but no-one will keep you in a moment longer than singers like the Isleys, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, and The Temptations.

I can put it this way. If you just want a hook-up, you play today's mess. If you're in love, you play Smokey. Even when you get older and wonder why you married said person, one day you'll pass a radio, and you'll hear one of those songs you danced or sat and listened to together. You'll hear a particular verse that you remember, smile, and savor the moment. It isn't just a song--it's love.

Gentleman, just take this simple advice. Play some of those old motown records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Ah yes, the motown sound (one of the best things to come out of the 20th century)

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Eeehh, you ARE an old soul. I feel nostalgic also when watching old movies. People used to look so decent and innocent. I know I don't wanna be your age in this country or perhaps anywhere at this time. What I remember back home is no longer the same, either. At least I have memories; you probably won't have even that.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Eeehh, you ARE an old soul. I feel nostalgic also when watching old movies. People used to look so decent and innocent. I know I don't wanna be your age in this country or perhaps anywhere at this time. What I remember back home is no longer the same, either. At least I have memories; you probably won't have even that.
Haha, it's sad, but today I have to live in my own little world when it comes to things like this.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Haha, it's sad, but today I have to live in my own little world when it comes to things like this.
Perhaps you can find somebody like you to share it with after all...

Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can find somebody like you to share it with after all...
Ya never know. That's the beauty of it.

That reminds me of the last date I went on. A Fats Domino song came on the radio, and I started talking about how he was mine and my Papaw's favorite singer when I was a kid, and how I knew it was his music by the first note I heard (he passed away when I was 7 so it's a really good memory that takes me back to spending time with him) and this girl goes "Oh my God, I like, so don't care about many artists you can name just by hearing the music."

Yeah, she went home right after that, because I took her ass back to her house, haha.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Ya never know. That's the beauty of it.

That reminds me of the last date I went on. A Fats Domino song came on the radio, and I started talking about how he was mine and my Papaw's favorite singer when I was a kid, and how I knew it was his music by the first note I heard (he passed away when I was 7 so it's a really good memory that takes me back to spending time with him) and this girl goes "Oh my God, I like, so don't care about many artists you can name just by hearing the music."

Yeah, she went home right after that, because I took her ass back to her house, haha.
Wow... is everybody so heartless these days...?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Wow... is everybody so heartless these days...?
I'd like to think it was just her, but you never know. I'd like to be optimistic enough to think someone wouldn't have head in ass disease like this again. I at least know now not to go out on a date with a girl who uses the word "like" in a sentence after every two to three words, lol.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I at least know now not to go out on a date with a girl who uses the word "like" in a sentence after every two to three words, lol.
I'm surprised you did it even once. Drives me nuts! To me that's the epitome of dumb and shallow.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 AM

I just went back to read your original post one more time. It's absolutely beautiful! Some girl will be lucky to have you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships