Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM

55 posts, read 124,237 times

Advertisements

Yeah I have always thought this...

If you are complete opposites ..wouldnt you get bored doing something you DONT want to do in the first place? You would eventually be drawn apart from lack of intrest in each others intrest...

On being the same you can always be there together but not so much that you are driving each other crazy... Then if you are both optomistic there's always the thing of *trying something new* as long as you are doing it together instead on seperate sides of the city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
.......I don't think it has anything to do with opposites or likenesses.....I think it has to deal with personal prefferences and individuality......
But couldn't "personal preferences and individuality" be the same thing as "opposites and likenesses"?

I like ketchup - she likes mustard.
We both like the opera.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Guess that would depend on just what categories a person differs from the other. Some might be okay, but ya gotta know where to draw the limit.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Um, no. I like Ketchup and mustard .

some ppl like ppl that are like them.....some ppl like ppl who contrast them......it depends on the person as far as what type of partner they preffer.....

Don't try to confuse me Phil i'm onto you!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Depends on what you mean.

My wife and I are complete opposites in a lot of ways. I'm right-brained, she's left brained. She is a CPA and I'm a creative writer. Outside of both being largish, her family and my family are total, polar opposites of one another. Our political views are divergent, as are our tastes in books, music, movies, etc.

What's more, different interests mean you can have your worldview broadened. My wife danced ballet for years. I always thought I hated ballet. Now, while I'm not a devotee, I can certainly appreciate it. She's the same way about jazz and foreign movies.

Yet, at the same time, she and I have identical views on the things that matter: What it means to be married, how to raise children, and the virtues of frequent headboard-grabbing, coyote-howling, rattle-the-windows sex in as many places as possible.

And, most importantly of all, we know how to voice our disagreements. We have raised our voices to one another precisely once in 17 years, and that was over the stupid vacuum cleaner attachment being broke. The other times, one person has voiced what's bugging him/her in a cool, detached voice, the other respectfully disagrees or apologizes, and we try to reach consensus. The result? We like hanging out with one another.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
some ppl like ppl that are like them.....some ppl like ppl who contrast them......it depends on the person as far as what type of partner they preffer.....
Ah, OK - now I get your drift.

Quote:
Don't try to confuse me Phil i'm onto you!
Damn! Another one bites the dust...

Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Depends on what you mean.
Well said.

My marriage was similar - lots of likes, lots of opposites.

The problem was that the balance was SO fine that the slightest push in one direction upset it, that push being provided by inevitable change. Like a wheel that is unbalanced, the wobble continues to grow until the entire thing breaks.

And no - there were no mechanics around at the time.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i think its not complete opposites that last long together because you would always butt heads on everything.
my bro always goes out with the same girls and cant figure out why it never works out. i tell him they are all cookie cutter. they even look and act alike in my eyes. and they are very much like him. same attitude about life, and trendy and metro etc.
i always tell him he needs to look for something different.
the truth is most people end up in life long relationships with people they themselves would never have "chosen". no one i know is married to what they believed was their "type"
when you really fall in love, you and everyone around you will realize the other person is not who they ever expected you to be with.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
My husband and I are complete opposites but it really works for us and we are going on 32 years. There are places where we completely gel and there are places we don't but respect each other enough for each to have their own things......We do get along great...............Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
I think it really depends on what you have in common and what you don't. For instance, you don't want to date someone who has the same negative qualities that you have. I have a relative who tends to be too serious, a little too defensive and not very social. His wife is the same way and I think they end up reinforcing those qualities in each other. I know I can be an introvert and being with an extrovert helps bring me out more. I think that's a big reason why opposites attract. We see someone exhibiting the qualities we wish we had. At the same time, you don't want to be with someone who's a bad influence or someone you can't keep up with. I had that problem when I dated someone who was high-energy, which I'm not. She was always restless and could never stay in one place for very long. Made getting to know her a lot harder too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships